What's new

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

• I let that fresh hot water flow.

• One sinkful is enough for me.

• I'm indecisive and go both ways.

• I overflow the sink.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
In another thread, someone recommended a "candle warmer" to keep your shaving bowl... and therefore, warm lather for subsequent passes.... they are cheap. I'm going to pick one up.
OK, I ordered a cup warmer instead.... I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Update: the cup warmer is keeping my lather for subsequent passes toasty warm...... ceramic shaving bowl perched on top. it's perfect. I might change to hot running or cold running water to clean my razor as I shave..... we'll see.

This is the one I purchased, in case anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09T2BD774/

I always fill the sink, then after final pass, rinse and refill for the swill.

B35B43E4-7268-47F8-BDB0-D345AE3C3BC3.jpeg
17C03801-90CA-42A2-93FA-4A93BCB43753.jpeg

Can always get an immersion heating wand with the programable water temp control to really go crazy. Then next, next level is using a food temp probe to double verify the water temp is at exactly 101.3F and only using iceberg bottled water to build the lather. Berg water is on sale now at Amazon for only $199 for 750ml…adds only an extra $9.95 per shave and it pairs well with all soaps and creams. Yeah I’ve seen some crazy things lately on the other shave boards. Stay humble my friends but reach for the stars.

I know this is an old poll, but I'm surprised to learn how much water people use. When lather builds on my razor, I flick it off. A few times per shave I'll run a fine stream over the blade edge to rinse and warm it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Can always get an immersion heating wand with the programable water temp control to really go crazy. Then next, next level is using a food temp probe to double verify the water temp is at exactly 101.3F and only using iceberg bottled water to build the lather. Berg water is on sale now at Amazon for only $199 for 750ml…adds only an extra $9.95 per shave and it pairs well with all soaps and creams. Yeah I’ve seen some crazy things lately on the other shave boards. Stay humble my friends but reach for the stars.
I deserve the ribbing, I suppose... but I hate cold lather for the second and/or third pass and touch-ups. I've been sitting my shaving bowl in the hot water in the sink... dipping my razor in the water to clean it during the shave, as I mentioned above. I have a pretty heavy beard and only shave every other day.... that sink gets pretty ugly by the end of my shave.

So the cheap cup warmer is another way to keep the lather warm. I do have an instant temperature probe, but I don't think I'll be using That. <eg> :devil:

I deserve the ribbing, I suppose... but I hate cold lather for the second and/or third pass and touch-ups. I've been sitting my shaving bowl in the hot water in the sink... dipping my razor in the water to clean it during the shave, as I mentioned above. I have a pretty heavy beard and only shave every other day.... that sink gets pretty ugly by the end of my shave.

So the cheap cup warmer is another way to keep the lather warm. I do have an instant temperature probe, but I don't think I'll be using That. <eg> :devil:
Trust you weren‘t even on the radar…but I flushed you out.🫣 if you really want to heat that ole skuttle thing up, buy an electric tea kettle. My kettle heats almost instantly with plenty to fill several skuttles…think hot professional barber style lather. I still can‘t bring myself to spend more than 5-10 minutes goofing with a shave…I‘ve tried.

I know this is an old poll, but I'm surprised to learn how much water people use. When lather builds on my razor, I flick it off. A few times per shave I'll run a fine stream over the blade edge to rinse and warm it.
Americans love to waste fresh water. If we had to walk it in or pump it from a well then things would be different. I burnt through almost 200 gallons in a single day; laundry, lawn sprinklers, cooking, showers, etc. We easily use 1000 gallons a week; I know because I refill the water softener salt every 2000 gallons. 😞 Yeah if I had to hand pump water and roll 55 gallon barrels to the house, things would change fast.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Trust you weren‘t even on the radar…but I flushed you out.🫣 if you really want to heat that ole skuttle thing up, buy an electric tea kettle. My kettle heats almost instantly with plenty to fill several skuttles…think hot professional barber style lather. I still can‘t bring myself to spend more than 5-10 minutes goofing with a shave…I‘ve tried.
We have an electric tea kettle... but in the States, we're on 110V so it doesn't heat up instantly like the ones in the UK..... I don't have a scuttle.. but I do have a nice ceramic shaving bowl. It just doesn't keep the lather warm in between passes. I guess I shave too slowly. I'm an old, retired guy, after all. <eg>
4_10_22 (2).jpg

We have an electric tea kettle... but in the States, we're on 110V so it doesn't heat up instantly like the ones in the UK..... I don't have a scuttle.. but I do have a nice ceramic shaving bowl. It just doesn't keep the lather warm in between passes. I guess I shave too slowly. I'm an old, retired guy, after all. <eg>View attachment 1450374
Nice setup! I am not a scuttle guy, but others swear by them for warm lather. Maybe in retirement, I’ll slow my roll and spend more time with the shaves. Happy shaves.

I do about the same. I have a deep bowl that I set in the sink full of hot water, which keeps the lather nice and warm. Then heaven forbid, I slosh the razor in the soapy water between strokes. :facep:
But in my defense, I do rinse my face, razor, brush, and bowl in clean cold water. 😇

I'm not sure what's most impressive:
  1. A poll about whether you leave the water running or fill the sink has generated 9 pages of responses.
  2. 1/4 of those responses (and counting) were written fully 16 years after the question was originally asked.
  3. Most of responses are serious - I came here expecting something like the "how do you open a tuck" thread
Perhaps I should start a poll to ask. If I'm lucky, it'll still be generating responses in 2038.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I won't be running the water all the time that I'm shaving either.... but I will rinse my razor in fresh water.... and I won't be looking the rewards of my efforts in the sink... I'll be enjoying how my face feels all clean and shiny. <eg>

Top Bottom