What's new

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

• I let that fresh hot water flow.

• One sinkful is enough for me.

• I'm indecisive and go both ways.

• I overflow the sink.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to fill the sink but after watching a special on 20-20, Dateline, or the like about bacteria in the household, I stopped. The guy they interviewed and tested sinks, toilets, countertops, etc in the homes for bacteria made the comment he'd rather drink from the toilet than the sink (although he was referring to the kitchen sink and the germs from old food, sponges, etc). While I don't let the water run the entire time I'm shaving, I do use running water to rinse my razor between passes with a quick flip of the handle turning it on, then back off. Paranoid? Maybe. Well, probably.

Jerry

Man this was from 2006. Greetings from the future. Just so you know, in 2010 the recession isnt over yet and cigarettes cost $6. No flying cars yet either.

I think I would rather drink from water in an area where food is prepared rather than where the digestive waste is "dropped". Just sayin. I've heard that claim before, that toilet water is cleaner and has less germs, but the people that say that arent running to the toilet for a glass of water now are they? I think you're less likely to get meningitis from the sink than the toilet. I have heard of kids getting this playing in the toilet when their parents arent watching them.

I have a designated bowl that I half fill and use that to wash my face between passes and clean my razor. Can't waste that water!

My en-suite doesn't have a vanity/sink. I used to turn the tap on each time to rinse my razor. Now I use a ceramic pot with one handle - I think it's a soup cup or something.

I fill the sink with hot water, then dump it after my first pass. That's where most of the whiskers, crud, etc., is.

I fill the sink with hot water again then do a second pass. I usually only do 2. If I do more I just use the same bowl of water.

I only fill the sink halfway or so, my sink is not that big.

I constantly dip my razor into the water, I can't imagine doing it any other way.

OK, so this thread is four years old. But I still would have liked to vote for more than one sink full of water. I drain and refill sometimes when doing multiple passes so that I can wet my face with clean water.

I do neither, I wet my face turn off the h2o, lather then turn it back on when I need to rinse off my razor then continue. :thumbup1:

Only use water to make lather, fill my scuttle, and do the final rinse of my straight razor. I'm training for when my plane crashes and there's little water left to drink or shave with! :lol:

I fill the sink to a low level. after my brush soaks in a large latte mug I dump the remaining water into the sink

I have a small old measuring jug which I use to clean the razor between strokes. It also means that I don't have to clean the washbasin with soap and hair residue after the shave

The hot water at my place is really good and I used to fill the sink,
Now I have a good stoneware bowl that retains the heat and the lather stays warm for a good 20 minutes

My prep is done under the shower while my brush is soaking. I flip the water on as I need it during my shaving- I don't think that I would use half a sink-ful.

I wipe my razor on a towel. I only turn on the tap when I'm rinsing my face and getting some water for making lather.

So I guess I pick the first option on the poll?

"Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?" No.

None of the above. Prep in the shower, turn water on and off as needed to rinse the razor. Until reading this thread, I wouldn't have thought about any other way to do this.

Filling the sink seems to me like a holdover from the days before indoor plumbing. I wouldn't have thought that anyone under the age of 90 would still do this. It seems a little distasteful to me.

As for running the water, this seems to me like running the furnace with the doors and windows open. I can't stand to see waste.

I do have to admit, though. that not so very long ago I would run the water while brushing my teeth.

Top Bottom