What's new

1916 Illinois Autocrat Pocketwatch

I have recently inherited my grandfathers pocket watch. It's an Illinois Autocrat with sn 2921019 which puts it in the second run of the Autocrat model in 1916 of which only 300 were made in this run. In searching online, I can't seem to find any with the same face as mine. It winds, runs, sets, and keeps fairly accurate time. I am in the process of finding a reputable shop to service and oil the watch.

I am not sure I intend to wear it, but it's awesome having something mechanical that was made in the early 1900's that still works to this day. It's got soul! Very similar to the 1911 that was made in 1914 that is in our family.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

so very cool. I'd love to wear a pocketwatch but I'm starting a new job where the uniform of the day is casual. polo and jeans. can't see any way of rocking a pocketwatch in jeans

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
so very cool. I'd love to wear a pocketwatch but I'm starting a new job where the uniform of the day is casual. polo and jeans. can't see any way of rocking a pocketwatch in jeans
I'll bet you could pull it off with a nice modern twist. Doesn't Wenger or some other Swiss Army company make one?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Very nice! Kerp it well ... you don’t own it ... you are merely looking after it for the next generation.

It's got soul! Very similar to the 1911 that was made in 1914 that is in our family.

So really, it’s a 1914. Great way to open a gun conversation ... talking about taking your 1914 to the range ...

Its in your pocket..what needs to be pulled off?
I honestly don't understand.

Don't pull my chain...

I think he means wearing a modern version as a daily driver in homage to the heirloom which stays safe at home.

FarmerTan

Very nice! Kerp it well ... you don’t own it ... you are merely looking after it for the next generation.

So really, it’s a 1914. Great way to open a gun conversation ... talking about taking your 1914 to the range ...

I think he means wearing a modern version as a daily driver in homage to the heirloom which stays safe at home.
Exactly what I meant. Thanks Doc.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I love old pocket watches and once had a pretty nice collection. Scaled it back to just a couple of family heirlooms and one that my parents gave me for graduation. The craftsmanship is amazing. Imagine what that would cost to have reproduced today by a legitimate watchmaker. Wow!

Exactly what I meant. Thanks Doc.
offered for your consideration a pocket which offers much of the pleasure of the large format with the benefits of a modern timepiece. the bulova men's pocket watch 96b249. While not listed in the current catalog, it can often be found. It is not only a quality hi precision quartz chronograph, it's also quite the stopwatch. Not nearly as expensive as the family heirloom but maybe a lot less upkeep down the road if you are looking for a great tool quality timepiece.

FarmerTan

offered for your consideration a pocket which offers much of the pleasure of the large format with the benefits of a modern timepiece. the bulova men's pocket watch 96b249. While not listed in the current catalog, it can often be found. It is not only a quality hi precision quartz chronograph, it's also quite the stopwatch. Not nearly as expensive as the family heirloom but maybe a lot less upkeep down the road if you are looking for a great tool quality timepiece.
Thank you! Yes, I'm an odd duck; at the moment I'm sitting in my lazyboy wearing completely opposing plaids and black support hose, which my wife undoubtedly finds incredibly attractive. So I'm not going to town dressed like this, but I prefer comfort to fashion, obviously. I'll have to take a gander at that one. Thanks again, Dave

Gawds @FarmerTan I have to say, lately, I've taken to dressing at the same haberdashery. My housemate makes similar supportive statements, but I fear they really are 'doth protest too much...' If I was still pressing the human-powered lawn mower around the property I might have had bragging rights, but that's long gone by now.

If nothing else though, the pocket watch will give you a few moments of quiet, blissful, speculations.
Cheers!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The little pocket on the right side of most jeans was originally intended to be a watch pocket.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have recently inherited my grandfathers pocket watch. It's an Illinois Autocrat with sn 2921019 which puts it in the second run of the Autocrat model in 1916 of which only 300 were made in this run. In searching online, I can't seem to find any with the same face as mine. It winds, runs, sets, and keeps fairly accurate time. I am in the process of finding a reputable shop to service and oil the watch.

I am not sure I intend to wear it, but it's awesome having something mechanical that was made in the early 1900's that still works to this day. It's got soul! Very similar to the 1911 that was made in 1914 that is in our family.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Nice. If I owned such a piece I would buy a nice chain and start wearing vests. :)

Top Bottom