What's new

Buzzing Your Own Hair?

I only shave my head once a week.
I used a Wahl Elite Pro for 10 years blades never dulled, they claim to be self sharpening. Never a problem. It comes with all the guards. Corded, reasonably priced.
I started with #2, went to #1, went to #.5, went to no guard at all.
Now I just use a razor. I figure it gives me three extra days of shortness over the #.5
I just go in blind, just do it.
I don't need no stinking fade.

flowbee.png

I buzz cut my own hair with Wahl barber clippers. You just have to make sure you don't leave long patches.
The down side of DIY is there is no effective way to taper the back, so the hair at the bottom back of my head is the same length as the top.
Not a big deal for me, but it might be for you (or your wife).
I started to do the same thing when the pandemic started and have continued to do so since then. My Wahl comes with a range of comps from 1/16" to a full inch. I've been able to somewhat taper the taper the back (and sides) of my head using these combs. Use the 1" all around and then move to a half-inch and finally 1/4" at the bottom of that area.

Have my wife do a final cleanup of the back to ensure that the final bottom hair line is straight.

Dedicated hair trimmers come with combs specially made to contour the ear. My barber never used them, but I find them essential to get a clean cut look.

As others have said, a professional level clipper can be had for less than a year’s worth of haircuts.
proxy.php
I use these combs also in addition to the others that allow me to taper.

Interesting how many of us started to cut our own hair during the pandemic and have not gone back to the barber. In addition to the significant money savings I like the convenience. Under 30 minutes to DIY versus a 2-3x process to go to the barber.

I did not recommend anything in the way of equipment. @DesertIguana is correct the cheap stuff is not worth using, IMHO.

I chose a Wahl Senior clipper and a Wahl Peanut trimmer. I also got a set of the premium clipper guards. Similar equipment is available from brands like Oster or Andis. Basically, you want something you would see at an actual barbershop. Check out some of the barber supply places online.
Second the motion on getting quality equipment. We were lucky when the pandemic hit to have a cheap Wahl with the color coded combs in the back of the closet (at that time clippers were sold out everywhere) from when my son was a toddler and it got us through about two years of haircuts until on day it just shorted out and triggered the circuit breaker.

By then quality clippers were back in stock and we replaced it with a better quality Wahl with a heavier duty motor. Stuck with the brand because we'd learned how to use it well with the various length combs that come with it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a semi-ancient Andis corded clippers with interchangeable ceramic blade sets (2012). Andis no longer sells mine to "people"... But they do sell the exact same one for trimming pet hair. <eg> I bought it to trim my beard when I had one off and on.

I used it to cut my own hair for the first time on Wednesday. I used the 1/2", 1/4", 1/8" and 1/16" guards. I did have my wife use the edger set of blades on the back of my neck as I couldn't see it well enough to do myself.

Why did I cut off my hair to a short length? I have a small bald spot on the back of my head.... and thinning hair up front, but not too bad for a 70 year old. I was combing my hair straight back.. and have been for years..... but I have some odd growing hair around the bald spot and it will no longer lay down unless it's long.... I decided, it was starting to look too much like a comb-over, even though it was more of a comb back. I didn't like having a hair bump that looked unnatural.... so short it is from now on.

After a couple days... my wife is getting used to it or so she claims. <eg>

I just got into it and I have some great success attempting a fade. Here are the results:

1707849015440.png

1707849034622.png

1707849058528.png

The trick is to have a good mirror setup. There are these three way mirrors available but I would avoid them, IMHO it's hard to use them. I decided to buy two custom mirrors, both are 40cm by 40cm. I simply hang one on the wall and the other I have placed on a easel in a 45 degree angle from the mirror thats on the wall. With this setup I can see the back and sides of my head. This makes it much much much easier.

@NorthernSoul The results are in, this was my 5th attempt.

did not read the thread - before I DE'd my head I used an Oster 76 with #1 or #00? Then used an Andis Trimmer with no guards to square the back and clean up the neck (just like you would see a barber use for sideburns, etc.). It was a million times better than every two weeks at the barber.

I just got into it and I have some great success attempting a fade. Here are the results:

View attachment 1795763
View attachment 1795765
View attachment 1795766

The trick is to have a good mirror setup. There are these three way mirrors available but I would avoid them, IMHO it's hard to use them. I decided to buy two custom mirrors, both are 40cm by 40cm. I simply hang one on the wall and the other I have placed on a easel in a 45 degree angle from the mirror thats on the wall. With this setup I can see the back and sides of my head. This makes it much much much easier.

@NorthernSoul The results are in, this was my 5th attempt.

If you like it, that's what matters. IMHO, it would be a much nicer cut if you would follow the natural shape of the head (lines of the skull bones and the natural hairline). It looks a bit like you are wearing a cap.

The length of the hair in the fade appears somewhat uneven. I still think you probably did better than most would attempting this on their own, so keep at it.

I usually keep my hair longer (like #5 tapered down to #2) and I don't think I would attempt a close fade on my own, so bravo for trying it.

If you like it, that's what matters. IMHO, it would be a much nicer cut if you would follow the natural shape of the head (lines of the skull bones and the natural hairline). It looks a bit like you are wearing a cap.

The length of the hair in the fade appears somewhat uneven. I still think you probably did better than most would attempting this on their own, so keep at it.

I usually keep my hair longer (like #5 tapered down to #2) and I don't think I would attempt a close fade on my own, so bravo for trying it.
You're talking about doing a mid fade or a tapered fade, I never liked those. My hair is still too short because I messed up before and had to shave everything off :lol:

On the images it looks uneven due to the light and my hair type. My barber said once that I have though hair to deal with. The texture of my hair looks just so weird.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I buzzed my hair for the first time a few months ago now... It took a while for my wife to adjust to the new "look".. More current Eric Clapton than the previous Jeff Bridges...

Before we left on our trip, I buzzed it again... and had my wife give it a final clip that met her approval... There were a couple hairs sticking up so I told her how easy it was to fix them and ran the clippers over the right side of my head. I had my glasses off.. and didn't notice I'd taken off the plastic guard... the 3/8" one... You should have seen the look of horror on my wife's face... It was worth the price of admission.... the cost? A 2" swath of buzzed to the skin bald spot on the right side of my head....

Fast forward 2 weeks and it looks almost normal now. I was looking like I had some skin cancer spots removed, prior.

All's well that ends well... It's much like shaving... If you make a mistake... there's always the next shave or in this case, haircut. <eg>

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I buzzed my hair for the first time a few months ago now... It took a while for my wife to adjust to the new "look".. More current Eric Clapton than the previous Jeff Bridges...

Before we left on our trip, I buzzed it again... and had my wife give it a final clip that met her approval... There were a couple hairs sticking up so I told her how easy it was to fix them and ran the clippers over the right side of my head. I had my glasses off.. and didn't notice I'd taken off the plastic guard... the 3/8" one... You should have seen the look of horror on my wife's face... It was worth the price of admission.... the cost? A 2" swath of buzzed to the skin bald spot on the right side of my head....

Fast forward 2 weeks and it looks almost normal now. I was looking like I had some skin cancer spots removed, prior.

All's well that ends well... It's much like shaving... If you make a mistake... there's always the next shave or in this case, haircut. <eg>
Yeah, I left the guard off once. Trust me when I say that I don't have a head that was meant to be bald.

Top Bottom