What's new

Buzzing Your Own Hair?

Hi All,

I have searched for this topic, and have only found head shaving threads, so sorry if I missed this topic covered before.

I got my head bussed with a #3 comb about a month ago in solidarity with a brother in chemo. I really liked it, especially after about two weeks of growth. Guessing a #5 type length. My question is this:

I have an Oster Fast Feed and all the combs (beard), and I watched what the 80 year-old Sicilian guy who did my initial buzz was doing. He basically buzzed it all off and used a #1.5 to do the sides and back. My questions are these:

He made it look easy, right? I am guessing it’s hard to do it on one’s own? Any experiences here? I have a two sink and medicine cabinet setup which would allow me I see the Mack of my head, but I’m still chicken.

I am planning on going again to spy a bit more on the barber, but I am afraid as to what I might wind up doing to myself. 😂 Unfortunately, I have to look somewhat respectable for my work.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I buzz cut my own hair with Wahl barber clippers. You just have to make sure you don't leave long patches.
The down side of DIY is there is no effective way to taper the back, so the hair at the bottom back of my head is the same length as the top.
Not a big deal for me, but it might be for you (or your wife).

Hi All,

I have searched for this topic, and have only found head shaving threads, so sorry if I missed this topic covered before.

I got my head bussed with a #3 comb about a month ago in solidarity with a brother in chemo. I really liked it, especially after about two weeks of growth. Guessing a #5 type length. My question is this:

I have an Oster Fast Feed and all the combs (beard), and I watched what the 80 year-old Sicilian guy who did my initial buzz was doing. He basically buzzed it all off and used a #1.5 to do the sides and back. My questions are these:

He made it look easy, right? I am guessing it’s hard to do it on one’s own? Any experiences here? I have a two sink and medicine cabinet setup which would allow me I see the Mack of my head, but I’m still chicken.

I am planning on going again to spy a bit more on the barber, but I am afraid as to what I might wind up doing to myself. 😂 Unfortunately, I have to look somewhat respectable for my work.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
I’ve been buzzing my own hair for over 3 years.
I use an Oster 76. I use a #2 blade all over my head, back and sides. Then I switch to a 1.5 blade and start going up from the base of my neck fading away the higher the clipper goes I use the same 1.5 on the sides fading away as well.
I use a#1 at the very bottom of my rear neck fading away faster than the fade on the 1.5. The shorter you desire your haircut just don’t fade away as quickly.
I use a 3 way mirror so it’s easy.
I shave the back of my neck with shave soap and a straight.
If I were to I would start With the longest blade. The guard on the blade will protect you from ruining the cut because everything will be cut the same length.
Change blades and fade as you desire. It really isn’t difficult unless I guess you want an elaborate fade.

Cutting my own hair with clippers for nearly thirty years now. I use Wahl as well.

I cut all of it to the same length (1), and then just use the open setting (0) to do around the ears and the back of the neck. I mostly do it by feel nowadays, because I'm old enough that if I stuff it up, no-one will care anyway... :p

Been cutting own hair since April 2020 (COVID lockdown followed by barber I’ve been going to for past 30 years retired).

1) a single pass of the cutter will not get 100% of the hairs, hit the same spot several times from different directions

2)or maybe this should be #1…make sure cutter comb is well snapped on…make really sure

3)if you have no one to help you clean up the back of your neck, just use a handheld mirror and a cartridge razor with water (no need for cream)

4)it might take a few tries to get what you want so perhaps start with you longest comb first, get it nice and uniform, then if it looks ok proceed to shorter combs

5)make sure no one needs to use the bathroom, unplug your phone, and lock yourself away for 45 minutes

Last edited:
I learned during the Covid times. It is certainly easier to cut someone else's hair than your own, but it's quite do-able if you want just a basic style. I'm told my self haircuts look pretty good, even in the back (more challenging to do).

Tools I'd recommend would be a clipper with a set of adjustable guards, flat barber's comb, barber's shears, small electric trimmer and a DE or SE razor. Don't forget oil for the clippers.

A buzz cut is the simplest, since it is one length over the entire head. Downside is, you will look like an army recruit. Haircuts such as a crew cut or businessman's taper are a bit more challenging.

Barbers divide your head into sections or zones. Haircuts generally look better with some tapering, such that the hair is longest on top, then progressively shorter going down the sides and back. The different lengths are blended together for a seamless look. If the blending is not done right, you will have visible lines in the haircut.

I don't use clippers for the entire cut. I do the top with barber's shears. This can be scary, but not too difficult if you just want a consistent length across the top. I use a small set of electric trimmers to edge the back and sides. Clean up around the back with a mild open comb razor and canned shaving cream.

I'd suggest finding a few good video tutorials on Youtube. You get better with practice. Learn to cut clipper over comb to blend between top and sides.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been trimming my own hair with clippers going on 7 years now. At first I was a bit nervous about trimming and now I just know my routine. I start with a #5 and trim the bulk off every 3 weeks and then use my tapered side trimmers to receive a slight fade upwards. Then I use a #2 for side burns for a nice fade.
I also use trim the back of head hair length with a slight fade using a #2 with a heavy paper shield so not to make a hapless mistake, doing the back neck area and head I use my camera stand with a hand held mirror bolted on it to see what I'm doing (Works well) takes about 20-25 minutes to set up and clean up afterwards.
I trimmed my hair to save some money was my thinking at first (shaving your head would be similar) and it has financed all my shave gear easily this year.
When I do some simple math I conclude that it cost me about $30 Canadian to book a hair appointment, $26 for cut + $2 tip and about $2-3 for gas to get to barber per month, it might cost more now? I was also spending about $80 dollars on cartridge blades + gel a year, my job in maintenance required to be shaved in case we had use SCBA to fix equipment on pulp mill site.
$30 X 12months + $80 cartridge shave products = $440 per year X 7 years = $3,080. My hair trimmer was a Christmas gift from my wife 6 years ago + last year I bought a new trimmer for around $40.
So shaving can save a person some money regardless of what other folks opinions it does not + have a little enjoyment along the learning curve of how to shave properly!

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I’ll take some time to read through all of your kind input and see if I have any more questions.

Steve

I use a Beard Trimmer to do my own hair, it is maybe 20 years old.

Brand is Norelco Series 3000, it rechargeable, was under 15 bucks new.

New stuff under 40 bucks is junk, so if you looking by something over 40 bucks.

Jmho

I did not recommend anything in the way of equipment. @DesertIguana is correct the cheap stuff is not worth using, IMHO.

I chose a Wahl Senior clipper and a Wahl Peanut trimmer. I also got a set of the premium clipper guards. Similar equipment is available from brands like Oster or Andis. Basically, you want something you would see at an actual barbershop. Check out some of the barber supply places online.

Barbers divide your head into sections or zones. Haircuts generally look better with some tapering, such that the hair is longest on top, then progressively shorter going down the sides and back. The different lengths are blended together for a seamless look. If the blending is not done right, you will have visible lines in the haircut.
This I what seems trickiest to me. I’m going to really pay attention tomorrow when I get my hair cut down to. # 4 by the barber.

I have been trimming my own hair with clippers going on 7 years now. At first I was a bit nervous about trimming and now I just know my routine. I start with a #5 and trim the bulk off every 3 weeks and then use my tapered side trimmers to receive a slight fade upwards. Then I use a #2 for side burns for a nice fade.
I also use trim the back of head hair length with a slight fade using a #2 with a heavy paper shield so not to make a hapless mistake, doing the back neck area and head I use my camera stand with a hand held mirror bolted on it to see what I'm doing (Works well) takes about 20-25 minutes to set up and clean up afterwards.
I trimmed my hair to save some money was my thinking at first (shaving your head would be similar) and it has financed all my shave gear easily this year.
When I do some simple math I conclude that it cost me about $30 Canadian to book a hair appointment, $26 for cut + $2 tip and about $2-3 for gas to get to barber per month, it might cost more now? I was also spending about $80 dollars on cartridge blades + gel a year, my job in maintenance required to be shaved in case we had use SCBA to fix equipment on pulp mill site.
$30 X 12months + $80 cartridge shave products = $440 per year X 7 years = $3,080. My hair trimmer was a Christmas gift from my wife 6 years ago + last year I bought a new trimmer for around $40.
So shaving can save a person some money regardless of what other folks opinions it does not + have a little enjoyment along the learning curve of how to shave properly!

This seems to be very close to what I want to do. Thanks! Once more by a pro, then will try on my own in a few weeks. Seems like I have the equipment. Just need to go for it.

I never really considered the $ angle, I just hate having to deal with an haircut every 4 weeks. Now that you mention it, though, wow!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Steve

I have been cutting my own hair for the last 14 years using a Wahl clipper with a taper lever and guards. At first my haircuts weren't that great but now I even get occasional compliments on my haircuts. I actually got some useful tips from watching YouTube videos on how to cut your own hair. I do the same cut every time, a mild High and Tight. Patience is key along with understanding how to use the taper lever and the guards. I live in a rural area so it actually takes me less time to cut my own hair than to drive to a barber, plus I save a couple of hundred bucks a year which I then get to spend on shaving stuff.

Dedicated hair trimmers come with combs specially made to contour the ear. My barber never used them, but I find them essential to get a clean cut look.

As others have said, a professional level clipper can be had for less than a year’s worth of haircuts.
proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve done the same as @luvmysuper and @silverlifter for some time - Wahl clippers and a Wahl peanut to trim around the ears. You can taper if you want with one of those clamshell comb-like devices that hold DE blades. Takes a little practice, but tapering isn’t something that you can’t learn pretty quickly.

And remember the old saying, ‘The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is 3 days.’

IMG_0241.jpeg

I wore my hair slightly over the ears until 2 rotator cuff surgeries in the late 90s prevented me from holding a brush and blow-dryer after washing. The gal that cut my wife's hair at the time suggested a 5-4-3 buzz/fade, and I've been going shorter ever since. By the time I retired, my barber did a 1.5 or 2 all over. I really like the low maintenance of a buzz. When thosewhoareoursuperiors shut down barbers during covid, I began doing it myself, first using a Mangroomer, then a similar palm-sized Remington. As my hair on top is now too thin to support even a 1.5, I now use the Remington without a comb. I did try a Limural clipper along the way, but found the long handle too awkward to use. The palm-size ones are really easy.

Cutting my own hair with clippers for nearly thirty years now. I use Wahl as well.

I cut all of it to the same length (1), and then just use the open setting (0) to do around the ears and the back of the neck. I mostly do it by feel nowadays, because I'm old enough that if I stuff it up, no-one will care anyway... :p
Same here. And then I get my wife to take a look to make sure that I didn't miss any patches. ;)

Been cutting my hair for 25 years. Pretty easy. Of late its a 3 on the top, and taper the back. It's gradually gotten shorter back and sides. I can't imagine how much I've saved over the years, but it's never been about that. I do love a good 'overseas' haircut and shave. Top 5. Malaysia, Costa Rica (white pricing sadly), Philippines (x2), Thailand.

I do my own with a quality Wahl clipper. I use a #2 on my entire head. I trim off the ear hair with no comb attached. My wife then blocks the back for me. The entire process including cleaning the floor has to be no more than 20 minutes. Never actually timed it.

I have been cutting my own hair for about 4-5 years.

Used a set of Wahl clippers for best part of 20 years, with a No. 3 comb. It is easy enough, with a little practice.

Except the neckline at the back. It is doable, I manage. But it requires using two mirrors (or maybe a video camera) and takes a lot more practice. Better to get somebody else to do it, if possible.

Also tapering is no problem with tapering combs, which came with my kit.

Get a decent set. Clean the hair out, and oil frequently. Only had to replace the blades on mine once.

All up it will save you a chunk of money over the years, offset somewhat by the need to have a hat to wear in the sun.

Top Bottom