What's new

Razorock Baby smooth question

To any of whom own this particular razor, I would like to ask for honest opinions on this razors performance, maintenance, and if it is worth the $40 price tag..

I’m almost an exclusive user of Merkur razors.. Having owned 8 in the past, 2 of which are my official go to razors 34C, 37C, but since I’m rebuilding my shave den from scratch after unfortunately the post service losing my razor collection during my relocation from the UK to USA. I’ve been looking to add some new razors.. Sometime in the future I will order replacements for my lost razors I’ve already had and tried, but I wanted to add something to my den that’s out of the ordinary for me in my experience meaning out of EJ, Merkur, Parker, and Muhle. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also can anyone tell me if this razor, being black, is harder to maintain cleanliness from calcium or soap scum build up? I live in an area now with hard water

I think it is an excellent razor. It is very smooth as the name would suggest, but it is also very efficient. It is now one of my favorites. I am very glad that I spent $40 for it.

Because it is black, it definitely does show soap scum more quickly than a more typical chrome-finish razor. However it is not any more difficult to clean than a chrome razor. I do find myself cleaning it more frequently because it shows the build-up more quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is an excellent razor. It is very smooth as the name would suggest, but it is also very efficient. It is now one of my favorites. I am very glad that I spent $40 for it.

Because it is black, it definitely does show soap scum more quickly than a more typical chrome-finish razor. However it is not any more difficult to clean than a chrome razor. I do find myself cleaning it more frequently because it shows the build-up more quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You sir are a saint. Thank you for your speedy response. I have been looking for a razor that delivers something smooth that would be a good one for when I’m not in a mood to use my more aggressive razors. I figured cleaning the razor would have to be more frequent but there’s just something about Black that’s attractive to me.

Have you experienced this with a feather blade? If so would you say it still retains its smoothness or does it suddenly lose that quality when it’s combined with an aggressive blade?

I’ve got the Ti version, and it is a really nice razor, albeit a bit lighter than I usually like, as I prefer the feel of heavier ss razors. The only thing about it is that it doesn’t give you a lot of leeway with the shave angle. It’s a pretty shallow angle shaver, and it can get harsh if you steepen the angle too much (mostly because of the pronounced blade bend, I think). Stay within the sweet spot though, and it’s very efficient and smooth. I find it much smoother with an Astra SP than with a Feather. As always though, YMMV.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. If you’re worried about soap scum, etc., just dip the head in a jar of isopropyl alcohol before you dry it. Easier than scrubbing it once in awhile.

I have the titanium version and it is a great shaver, so unfortunately I cannot comment on the cleaning of the black coating, If you are looking at Razorock also consider the MJ-90 and Mamba all priced around the same as the Merkurs and are solid metals that will last a lifetime

I have the titanium version and it is a great shaver, so unfortunately I cannot comment on the cleaning of the black coating, If you are looking at Razorock also consider the MJ-90 and Mamba all priced around the same as the Merkurs and are solid metals that will last a lifetime

I’ve definitely been looking at the mamba, and the Standard Safety Razor.. just looking for something new that can possibly give me a new experience.. lately I feel like my shaves are so repetitive and bland even tho I love the products I’m using

I got one because I was hoping it was the holy grail of shaving for sensitive skin. It depends what you want as a result. It is of course a pretty mild razor. So yes, I can shave without irritation. But no, I will not get BBS with this razor. So it's fine for a fine shave, but won't give me great results.

I got one because I was hoping it was the holy grail of shaving for sensitive skin. It depends what you want as a result. It is of course a pretty mild razor. So yes, I can shave without irritation. But no, I will not get BBS with this razor. So it's fine for a fine shave, but won't give me great results.

Well that works for me being that a mild razor is best for when your in a hurry and none of my current razors are classified mild unless I use a duller blade. I will definitely look into the fatboy

I’ve definitely been looking at the mamba, and the Standard Safety Razor.. just looking for something new that can possibly give me a new experience.. lately I feel like my shaves are so repetitive and bland even tho I love the products I’m using

I’d highly recommend the Mamba. IMO, it’s a better daily driver than the BS. But, definitely milder. It’s what I’ve been reaching for on a regular basis lately.

What about is exactly did you find to be bad?

Back in the day, I think it was close to $100. It was tough to keep clean..accumulated soap scum. Also, the head didn't seem all that smooth...I couldn't get good enough results to justify the price.

At $50...maybe. I'd just as soon get the Parker Variant at that price point..

Back in the day, I think it was close to $100. It was tough to keep clean..accumulated soap scum. Also, the head didn't seem all that smooth...I couldn't get good enough results to justify the price.

At $50...maybe. I'd just as soon get the Parker Variant at that price point..

Thanks for the honesty mate. I really appreciate the help

I ordered one last week, and just shaved with it for the first time this morning. I have the black aluminum version, and was concerned that it would be to light. I have thick facial hair, and a heavier razor seems to help me get a smoother shave. Well this has changed since I tried this razor. Even though it's really light compared to my other razors it has to be one of the smoothest ones have.

Top Bottom