What's new

Blackbird Ti with Lite Plate (Post-Honeymoon Review)

I had a fairly carefree shave this evening with the BB Ti lite. Unlike with the standard plate, I needed 3 passes with some some touching up on my neck. Still, I'm surprised by the closeness of the shave for such a mild razor.

View attachment 1671024
For my skin and level of skillset, the lite plate is suitable for every day shaving, and the standard will be used for multiple days of growth.
I’m happy to have both plates.

I have been using the Blackbird Ti SB and have been getting very good results. However, the last couple of shaves I found the blade feel a bit uncomfortable. So, having caught RAD from the rest of you, I purchased the Lite plate. I used it for the first time today. I found it gave me much less blade feel, BUT not NO blade feel. It is not a neutral or negative blade exposure plate. That said, it was comfortable and smooth using the PermaSharp blade (3). I do believe it could have been better with a different blade. I will find out later this week. On to Efficiency. The Lite was not as efficient as the SB plate and it required me to do additional buffing and touchups. Again, that might have been the blade. The shave was definitely DFS+ but not as good as my shaves with the SB plate. Time and blade choice will tell if that changes.
Having both plates basically gives me an adjustable scenario, similar to Rockwell 6 series.
The razor is definitely a winner, plate and blade is YMMV, but worth the cost.

Hello. AJMiami, there's something I'd like you to tell me. How aggressive is the Blackbird Lite compared to EJ & Muhle's 89?? Also, I would be happy if you could tell me how the blade gap and exposure compare to 89🤤

Hello. AJMiami, there's something I'd like you to tell me. How aggressive is the Blackbird Lite compared to EJ & Muhle's 89?? Also, I would be happy if you could tell me how the blade gap and exposure compare to 89🤤
Blackbird blade parameters are unpublished. Hopefully, folks who know the other details can chime in on the rest for you ;-)

... Thom

It’s been a while (>10 years) since I used the EJ89. Based on my recollection, the blackbird ti lite shouldn’t feel that more aggressive in comparison.
Right now, the ti lite paired with a bic Astor feels like a super razor for daily shaving. This is the best combo of all my razors. Better than my Henson AL medium, karve brass overlander, timeless bronze 38, Blutt br1 1.20.
The key has been to only use each bic Astor two times.

I

Island

I find the regular blackbird is better than the lite version. The lite version is not as smooth as a timeless razor nor as efficient as the original. The angle is more critical. I did not find it a good compromise but I love the original.

It’s been a while (>10 years) since I used the EJ89. Based on my recollection, the blackbird ti lite shouldn’t feel that more aggressive in comparison.
Right now, the ti lite paired with a bic Astor feels like a super razor for daily shaving. This is the best combo of all my razors. Better than my Henson AL medium, karve brass overlander, timeless bronze 38, Blutt br1 1.20.
The key has been to only use each bic Astor two times.
I'm still new to wet shaving, so your advice was very helpful. I didn't know about bic Astor blade, so I wanted to get one if I had a chance🤩
Have a sweet day and great shaves🌹

Last edited:
Top Bottom