What's new

Anyone can recommend a good efficient razor?

Hi guys,

Just about to buy a new razor. This will be my first but I'm happy to jump into the deep end as soon or later i'll be there anyway.
I'd like the word efficiency and not having to go back and forth getting those stubborn hairs.

If you was to buy one razor to have that you would be satisfied with and not go out and buy more, what would you recommend.
I do not wanna spend more than maybeee $30 - $70 but if you think I should spend more ($100) I'll do it.

At the end of the day it will last a lifetime so why not.

This is what I've seen online but I've not explored other brands so this is just something to fill in the table haha.

Merkur 38C / 34C / 24c not too fussed what exact type

Muhle R89

Edwin Jagger DE89
First welcome to B&B! Nicest place on the internet! On to your question. You mention that this is your first DE razor that you are looking for. If that is so and you do not have experience shaving with one I would not get a super efficient/aggressive one as your first one. You kind of have to work up to it gaining experience and build your technique. If you get a too aggressive razor as your first you probably will cut yourself quite a bit and you might get very discouraged and give up on the whole DE thing.

I would start with one of the razors you mentioned Muhle R89 or the Edwin Jagger DE89. These are great starting out razors and not overly aggressive. They could become your forever razor, but time and experience will guide you where you need to go.

Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 are tried and true work horses for beginners and old hands alike. when you are ready to step up may I suggest the Rockwell 6C or S. You will never have to purchase another razor, unless you want to.

R89 has worked pretty good, low learning curve too. Dad got me a parker 82r while I was in college to start my venture. Mild, nothing special, got the job done, and it's cheap. It's butterfly too which I still think is slick.

I would suggest based on my journey.

1. Start with Fatip Gentile razor. 20 usd.
2. After 3 months get Fatip Grande OC razor. This is the razor for experienced users. 20 usd.
3. Or instead of these 2 Fatip, get a Rockwell 6s. You have 6 plates and you might not need any new razor. 100 usd.

If you want mild and aggressive in the same razor, the Merkur Progress is a solid choice.
My DE89 gathers dust. The razors I use regularly are the Merkur Progress and Razorock Lupo Aluminum.

The Lupo AL is inexpensive for a fully-machined razor, rather mild, probably a good choice for "first razor".

The cheapest way to learn where you want to be, on the mild/aggressive spectrum, is to get a Progress (within your budget) or Pearl Flexi.

If you get a Progress, read Mantic59's suggestions on how to load blades.

Welcome to the club --

. Charles

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community.

Our paths all vary, pretty much from the start all the way along. I don't know what to recommend, truth be told. As @ClumsyBull said, you sort of have to identify the kind of whiskers you have. I'm 70 now and only started wet shaving when I was 68, a few months before I turned 69. I have old man, grey whiskers that are pretty thick and dense. I found, I like the mild-medium efficiency razors, but a lot of people here love the more aggressive/efficient razors that match their needs.

Our youngest son got me into wet shaving. He started out with a Merkur 38C barber pole handle... the longer handle 34C. I got him a Merkur Progress adjustable razor and that's what he uses now. They come in two different handle lengths. He likes the longer handles so I got him the 501 longer handle Progress. They are adjustable so you might be able to play around with the gap settings and determine what your face/whiskers require.

I know what I did... pretty much what @desertcat recommended. I read the posts in B&B... lots of them. I always read the "New Posts" every day. Eventually, I found the "Journals and Diaries" threads. When I first got here, they didn't appear in the "New Posts" but they do now. If you like to read, start at the beginning of the ones that strike your fancy and track how the thread "owners" progressed through their journey. You could save a lot of time and money doing so.

Wish you question in post 1 was easy to answer.

A Gillette Slim is ADJUSTABLE, pair with PERFECT BLADE IT WORKS WELL.

Find right blade is not simple. Buy some samplers pack with three to five blades.

Now shave, hope you find GRAIL BLADE. If not try more, blade are cheap.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I changed my mind.... I only have one razor I use in your price range: the PAA (Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements) Filament. It's around $30 and is a plastic replica of a razor design now unobtainable. Their website is horrible. Their advertising is silly and their reputation is often questioned here... but that little plastic razor shaves like a dream. I have some fairly expensive razors and the Filament can shave with the best of them. My wife stole my first one for herself and now uses it instead of the Gillette women's cartridge razors she's used for years.

Edit: I'd also say.. for a less expensive razor, the Merkur 37C slant is quite nice... not as efficient as the Filament or most of my other top razors, but a nice, smooth, relaxing, comfortable yet close shave.

Asking this bunch is going to net you lots of options. For a first razor it’s a tough call really. You don’t really know what you like just yet. What I mean by that is blade gap, blade exposure, material, weight etc. All these play a role in liking or not liking a razor. Took my over 10 years to figure out what I like best and what type of razor works well for me. Been at this for about 15 years now and still buy a new razor from time to time.

If I were you I’d look at something from RazorRock as you get a lot of bang for the buck. I have their Lupo 95 and like it, but I prefer a razor with positive blade exposure. The Karve Overlander is also a very nice option for mild, yet efficient. The Rocca is a nice razor as well…I have the R94.

You might want to look at some vintage razors like the Gillette Tech, Super Speed or something along those lines. They aren’t going to break the bank either.

Good luck in your quest.
How does the Rocca compare to the Lupo for blade exposure?

How does the Rocca compare to the Lupo for blade exposure?
In my personal opinion, I don't feel the blade on the Rocca but it is an efficient razor, not a daily one "as long as you use its cutting angle, otherwise you will hate it" hahaha
The Lupo 95 I feel the blade more and it is efficient... very good, but I can feel the blade... nothing bad
But I always speak for my shaving preference...so not a written law hahaha
if you want delicate and efficient Rocca is good

Top Bottom