What's new

Any Rocket Love Here

Thanks for the tips. I'll dig mine up tonight when I get home and see which one I have.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the "II" is on the left of the handle in the pic you linked, not the right. Am I missing something?

Nope I'm not sure anymore? Looking at the picture above from Mr Razor the TV Special Has the "II" on the right - not the left (so much for my initial theory). So I either somehow got mine mixed up (I don't think so) or Gillette just willy nilly marked the "II" on either side of the TV and/or Deluxe razor - which doesn't seem to make sense from a manufacturing stand point. So I'm back to my case specific theory to tell the difference. Since they are both shinny as heck and made in 1958 I need to some how figure out how to distinguish between the nickel plating (vs rhodium) on the razor head of each razor. Heck maybe the good ole Brits were just pulling a marketing hornswoggle?

Nope I'm not sure anymore? Looking at the picture above from Mr Razor the TV Special Has the "II" on the right - not the left (so much for my initial theory). So I either somehow got mine mixed up (I don't think so) or Gillette just willy nilly marked the "II" on either side of the TV and/or Deluxe razor - which doesn't seem to make sense from a manufacturing stand point. So I'm back to my case specific theory to tell the difference. Since they are both shinny as heck and made in 1958 I need to some how figure out how to distinguish between the nickel plating (vs rhodium) on the razor head of each razor. Heck maybe the good ole Brits were just pulling a marketing hornswoggle?
I've been wondering why Gillette would produce the TV Special and Deluxe Traveler using the same razor and fully plate one in rhodium and not the other. Maybe to make the Traveler kit "Deluxe"? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been wondering why Gillette would produce the TV Special and Deluxe Traveler using the same razor and fully plate one in rhodium and not the other. Maybe to make the Traveler kit "Deluxe"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes I assumed that the Travelers Deluxe was the upgrade version but what stumps me is how did they tell them apart after production? That's why I thought that the "II" marking was on different sides to easily tell them apart. I just found a picture on Ebay of a Rocket TV Special (past sale) and the "II" marking is on the left. Maybe I mixed mine up. I have to find a way (other than just looking) to tell them apart.

I have another holy grail razor.
View attachment 799052

Good ole Mr Razor site. I'm with you. I was in the process of collecting all the Rocket Flair Tip's and luckily ran upon the Deluxe Travel Set. I didn't know what it was and had to research as I was looking for the TV Special.

I suspect that it's case specific. On the site the photos denote the leather travel case "Rhodium". The plastic case (denotes handle only) Rhodium. I have the TV Special also. There is only one difference in the markings. Both razors blade trays display "Brit.Pat." on the left and "694093" on the right side of the upper tray. Also the markings on the bottom of the tray are the same on the left a"Gillette" (in a diamond) and on the right "Made in England". The only (marking) difference between my two razor's are the "II" marking on the lower tray just above the "Gillette"and "Made in England". On the full Rhodium the "II" marking is on the left side and on the TV Special the "II" on the right side. Otherwise they would be hard to tell apart. I picked up the Deluxe case about a 18 months ago (mint) and the TV Special (Mint) about 2 month ago - so I suspect they are both the original razors. The Deluxe model I've not seen for sale anywhere/ever except the one I purchased for a shaving forum. Both came from England. When I got the TV Special I put a small sticker in the blade tray so I would not get them mixed up. However. Looking at the picture of the TV Special below the "II" marking is on the right.

View attachment 799053

Do you have a reference to that fact? I didn't know there were two types. Now I have to see which one I have.

CORRECTION:

Not to beat a dead horse but it looks like I was wrong regarding my contention there is a full Rhodium Flair TV Rocket. Here is some new info I found on FB from an ole friend across the pond. A photo of his collection (and the corresponding Gillette advertising info) denotes that the Travellers Deluxe Set Rocket only has a Rhodium handle (like the TV Special) not fully plated as I initially though based on the different wording from Mr Razor. So it looks like we have two Rocket Flair Tip sets using the exact same razor. So I stand corrected and thrown myself at the mercy of the court.

TravellersSet.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I guess I'm flogging a dead horse when I say it's actually flare tip and not flair. :a52: Oh well.

Here's some more Rocket love
full

CORRECTION:

Not to beat a dead horse but it looks like I was wrong regarding my contention there is a full Rhodium Flair TV Rocket. Here is some new info I found on FB from an ole friend across the pond. A photo of his collection (and the corresponding Gillette advertising info) denotes that the Travellers Deluxe Set Rocket only has a Rhodium handle (like the TV Special) not fully plated as I initially though based on the different wording from Mr Razor. So it looks like we have two Rocket Flair Tip sets using the exact same razor. So I stand corrected and thrown myself at the mercy of the court.

View attachment 799270
That's some good detective work on your part. Thanks for the update.

Do you guys prefer the shave from the flared or non flared Rockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to hear and see the Love that there is for the Gillette British Rocket.
I have read that there are a few various models and would really like to see some Examples
Pictures please .
I had few Britty Rockets, not bad but not for me... beauties though

Had to bump this thread up. I picked up this Rocket yesterday at an antique store in Yellow Springs. I shaved with it last night. Having only one shave with it I don't think I could tell the difference between it and my 40s style SS. I will say the Rocket to me has less blade feel than my SS. The shave seemed really mild, but very efficient.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Had to bump this thread up. I picked up this Rocket yesterday at an antique store in Yellow Springs. I shaved with it last night. Having only one shave with it I don't think I could tell the difference between it and my 40s style SS. I will say the Rocket to me has less blade feel than my SS. The shave seemed really mild, but very efficient.
View attachment 835262 View attachment 835263 View attachment 835264

Jerry You need to find a HD500 Rocket,To me there is a huge difference. I am not a SB guy but the HD 500 is right
at the top of my rotation

View attachment 835262 View attachment 835263 View attachment 835264

To me the Rocket and Aristocrat jr. are the best razors. I find single rings are too aggressive and the tech isn’t aggressive enough.

To me the Rocket and Aristocrat jr. are the best razors. I find single rings are too aggressive and the tech isn’t aggressive enough.
I really enjoyed last nights shave, my favorite razor is my 1906 SR. However The Rocket is really great. Going to use it again tonight, it will be in my regular rotation.

You need to find a HD500 Rocket,To me there is a huge difference. I am not a SB guy but the HD 500 is right at the top of my rotation
Have you ever tried Rocket LD500 "Paperclip"? Same Rocket head as your HD500 and the Rocket @jerrylee101 just got, but only about 36g instead of 82g or 65g. It's like an extension of your hand.

Top Bottom