What's new

Any Rocket Love Here

2 of my first razors were a Gillette SS and Rocket Parat (also had a couple HD500s, Aristocrat JRs, Flare Tip Rocket, and Red Tip Rocket). Parat is one of the smoothest shavers I've ever used and better IMHO than the American SS for a few reasons (blade angle is slightly difference, blade gap, construction feels more solid, and better weight). I've traded/sold dozens of razors, but that Parat is the one I miss/regret.

Boy I agree about the Parat. It's not only one of my smoothest shavers but the razor movement is very precise and smooth, and the razor has a nice balance and solidness to it. Hands down better than Super Speed - a razor that I also love and use.
kkkkkkkk.jpg

The TV special Rocket handle with the US head missing. Or is it classed as a Superspeed?

Rockets feel more sturdier than their US counterparts and although waaay on the mild side, somehow the shave is also slightly better.

Adam

I consider it a Rocket because of the pointed end caps. However my 7th Flair Tip Rocket is a early 60's model that has the normal Rocket Type gap lower handle but sports flat (super Speed) type end caps.
Reg.jpg

All 7 Flair Tip Rockets from left to right. 1959 Regular Flair Tip; Late 50's Blue Tip; Late 50's Red Tip; 1958 TV Special w/Rhodium Handle and Nickel Head; 1959 Gold Flair Tip; 1958 Traveler's Deluxe w/full Rhodium; and Early 1960 Flair Tip w/Flat Super Speed Type End Caps (all cased).
AllFTS.jpg

KK.jpg

Last edited:
All 7 Flair Tip Rockets from left to right. 1959 Regular Flair Tip; Late 50's Blue Tip; Late 50's Red Tip; 1958 TV Special w/Rhodium Handle and Nickel Head; 1959 Gold Flair Tip; 1958 Traveler's Deluxe w/full Rhodium; and Early 1960 Flair Tip w/Flat Super Speed Type End Caps (all cased).
View attachment 795495

View attachment 795496
I'm impressed! Great collection. I have a couple of cased Rockets, but only the 58 TV Special flare tip cased.

They are beautiful aren't they. I thought it was a plain British Rocket until I got it home and did some checking. $30 dollars antique store purchase.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Nice collection, only one is missing, a TV special handle with SS type endcaps in nickle.

Adam

View attachment 795495

View attachment 795496

Keep me in mind if you decide to sell them! I'm not holding my breath on that one though. Beautiful collection, Preidy.

How long did it take to collect all 7? I know you posted the blue tip in the acquisition thread a few weeks back.

Could anyone tell the difference in a Rocket shave and Super Speed shave if they were blindfolded (the shaver, not the razor)?
I'd say "it depends". If comparing similar geometries (like similar year common flare tips), I'd say you couldn't tell the difference. The Red Tips have slightly different gaps, so you're feeling the exposure difference, not the fact that it's a Rocket or SS.

Where you do feel the difference is opening and closing the TTO. Rockets are just smoother and "tighter". Doesn't affect the shave though.

Why and how are they better than a non-Rocket?
It's kind of like the difference you feel closing the door or hood on a well made luxury car vs a Hyundai Accent or Kia. One feels more solid, tight, and well made, and the other feels tinnier, but still good enough to get the job done.

I have just purchased a bundle of fine vintage Gillettes from one of our fellow B&B members, including one nice Rocket. It is in the final stages of the cleaning/polishing process and is scheduled for duty this weekend. I was advised that it's a fine piece of kit, so I look forward to testing it out. I'll post up pics and report soon.

First shave with it tonight, and I have been advised correctly. I was thinking that I was probably going to sell this one off, but my first impression has me rethinking that plan. An absolute pleasure to work with, even in the tricky spots.

I like having at least one razor where the knob controls the doors fully rather than letting gravity finish the job. While I'd be content to have a Rocket Flair, a TV Special would be my white whale. I read they're supposed to have a rhodium handle.

Keep me in mind if you decide to sell them! I'm not holding my breath on that one though. Beautiful collection, Preidy.

How long did it take to collect all 7? I know you posted the blue tip in the acquisition thread a few weeks back.

about 2 years (lots of luck) scouring the net daily.

Here are my two rockets (flare tip and gold) and Aristocrat Jr. I think they are great shavers. They feel heavier and better made than the US Super Speeds, that said though, not sure I could tell the difference blind folded.

rockets1.jpg

I gave my Rocket Red Tip a little Krylon refresh today. This was my second effort at refinishing the red tip. I stopped in a Tractor Supply last weekend and picked up a can of IH Red. Stripped what was left of the original paint. Then applied several coats of paint and one hour in a 200° oven to harden the finish. After the razor was cool enough to handle I compared the Rocket to my SS Red Tip. The new paint was a much brighter shade of red than the SS. So I though something is wrong here. Got to checking and the paint I bought was Rustoleum instead of Kyrlon. No big deal so I ordered a can of Kyrlon on Monday and it showed up today. When through the same refinishing process again and ... Well the color still looks to be a more vibrant shade of red and looks to be the same color as the Rustoleum IH Red. RE has a picture of a tuned up Red Tip and it seems to be a bit darker. Could be the lighting in the picture. Anyway regardless of whether or not it's the correct color of red I like the end results.

RocketRT750a.jpg
RocketRT750b.jpg

I gave my Rocket Red Tip a little Krylon refresh today. This was my second effort at refinishing the red tip. I stopped in a Tractor Supply last weekend and picked up a can of IH Red. Stripped what was left of the original paint. Then applied several coats of paint and one hour in a 200° oven to harden the finish. After the razor was cool enough to handle I compared the Rocket to my SS Red Tip. The new paint was a much brighter shade of red than the SS. So I though something is wrong here. Got to checking and the paint I bought was Rustoleum instead of Kyrlon. No big deal so I ordered a can of Kyrlon on Monday and it showed up today. When through the same refinishing process again and ... Well the color still looks to be a more vibrant shade of red and looks to be the same color as the Rustoleum IH Red. RE has a picture of a tuned up Red Tip and it seems to be a bit darker. Could be the lighting in the picture. Anyway regardless of whether or not it's the correct color of red I like the end results.

View attachment 796967 View attachment 796968

Looks perfect to me!

Top Bottom