What's new

Any Rocket Love Here

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a Rocket Flair Tip, a Parat, and an HD 500. They are all fabulous razors. The only one that really feels different to me is the HD 500. It has a bunch more weight and feels good while shaving. If the quality of the shave is any different, its negligible. All great razors.

With regards to fit and finish, I agree the fit and build quality seem a bit better on the Brits. But the American Super Speeds have a more highly polished finish to my eyes. The Rockets all seem a bit dull by comparison.

... The Rockets all seem a bit dull by comparison.
I believe so too. This leads me to wonder, if you had one that needed refinishing, a nickel finish doesn't seem to be the proper finish except for the Flare Tips excluding the TV Special. I think this is a question only a knowledgeable Brit with firsthand experience could answer.

From Left to Right:
1949 Rocket; 1949 Gold Rocket; 1958 Parat; 1951 Anodized (Aluminum) Rocket; 1953/54 HD500

uu.jpg

xx.jpg

I have a Parat (passed down to me from a relative) that I really like the IDEA of - I enjoy using a tool that was created before I was born and additionally it has sentimental value... But the truth is I've never gotten very good shaves from it.

I get smooth, comfortable, irritation free shaves with my Edwin Jagger easily but the Parat just always ends up feeling "harsh"on my skin for some reason and no amount of playing with the angle has seemed to fix that.

I have a Parat (passed down to me from a relative) that I really like the IDEA of - I enjoy using a tool that was created before I was born and additionally it has sentimental value... But the truth is I've never gotten very good shaves from it.

I get smooth, comfortable, irritation free shaves with my Edwin Jagger easily but the Parat just always ends up feeling "harsh"on my skin for some reason and no amount of playing with the angle has seemed to fix that.

What blades are you using? If it's something like a Feather it may be a bit too aggressive.

I have a Rocket HD that is easily my favorite DE razor. It has seen use for about 80-85% of my shaves in the past 4 years. For me, it feels more balanced in my hand than a Super Speed due to the extra weight while remaining a pretty mild shaver, which my sensitive skin appreciates.

It's starting to show small signs of the frequent use and I've considered sending it out for some TLC, but don't really want to be without it while it is spruced up.

So do the B&B thing and get a backup HD to use while your main ride is in the shop. :)

I've considered that...believe me. I wouldn't have to grow a beard if it were out, I just wouldn't have the HD. I recently got a RazoRock new style OC that I've started giving love to, so the time may be near.

Leather case for 1958 Traveller Deluxe Set. Unlike the Rocket TV Special (Rhodium handle) the TDS is full Rhodium.

hh.jpg

kk.jpg

I gave my Rocket Red Tip a little Krylon refresh today. This was my second effort at refinishing the red tip. I stopped in a Tractor Supply last weekend and picked up a can of IH Red. Stripped what was left of the original paint. Then applied several coats of paint and one hour in a 200° oven to harden the finish. After the razor was cool enough to handle I compared the Rocket to my SS Red Tip. The new paint was a much brighter shade of red than the SS. So I though something is wrong here. Got to checking and the paint I bought was Rustoleum instead of Kyrlon. No big deal so I ordered a can of Kyrlon on Monday and it showed up today. When through the same refinishing process again and ... Well the color still looks to be a more vibrant shade of red and looks to be the same color as the Rustoleum IH Red. RE has a picture of a tuned up Red Tip and it seems to be a bit darker. Could be the lighting in the picture. Anyway regardless of whether or not it's the correct color of red I like the end results.

View attachment 796967 View attachment 796968

Excellent! IMV the RT is one of the best looking (and handling) razors in the pack. A must have for even the most modest collector/user.

Has anybody found a way to get an exact date for a British Gillette? Them not stamping date codes makes it a little hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1958 Gillette Traveller DeLuxe England from Richard Snyder.jpg
Do you have a reference to that fact? I didn't know there were two types. Now I have to see which one I have.

Good ole Mr Razor site. I'm with you. I was in the process of collecting all the Rocket Flair Tip's and luckily ran upon the Deluxe Travel Set. I didn't know what it was and had to research as I was looking for the TV Special.

I suspect that it's case specific. On the site the photos denote the leather travel case "Rhodium". The plastic case (denotes handle only) Rhodium. I have the TV Special also. There is only one difference in the markings. Both razors blade trays display "Brit.Pat." on the left and "694093" on the right side of the upper tray. Also the markings on the bottom of the tray are the same on the left a"Gillette" (in a diamond) and on the right "Made in England". The only (marking) difference between my two razor's are the "II" marking on the lower tray just above the "Gillette"and "Made in England". On the full Rhodium the "II" marking is on the left side and on the TV Special the "II" on the right side. Otherwise they would be hard to tell apart. I picked up the Deluxe case about a 18 months ago (mint) and the TV Special (Mint) about 2 month ago - so I suspect they are both the original razors. The Deluxe model I've not seen for sale anywhere/ever except the one I purchased for a shaving forum. Both came from England. When I got the TV Special I put a small sticker in the blade tray so I would not get them mixed up. However. Looking at the picture of the TV Special below the "II" marking is on the right.

1958 British TV.jpg

Last edited:
Has anybody found a way to get an exact date for a British Gillette? Them not stamping date codes makes it a little hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reference I've been able to find is the "Mr Razor" site. As you said no marked like the US versions.

Looking at the picture of the TV Special below the "II" marking is on the right.
Thanks for the tips. I'll dig mine up tonight when I get home and see which one I have.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the "II" is on the left of the handle in the pic you linked, not the right. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom