What's new

Platinum 3776

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It looks like it's been close to ten years since we've had a Platinum 3776 thread. I haven't bought a pen in years, and the 3776 is one that I've often considered, but never ended up acquiring. If you have one, or have used one, I would love to hear your thoughts, and see some pictures.

I have a couple - it is a great pen - reliable even if you do not uncap an inked 3776 for weeks. I prefer the medium nib, which writes more like a wet western fine nib, with less feedback than a comparable Sailor or Pilot pen. I have the Chartres blue one in M with rhodium plating and a translucent green gold plated version in F, which is very dark in color - almost looks black.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Mine was OK, a burgundy from 2004 or so. Good pen but I didn't like the flat nib, it looked cheap, and there was a sharp step from the barrel to the threaded section that bothered my middle finger pretty quickly.

Little things, I know, but still, my Sailors and Pilots seem better suited to me.

I bought a burgundy 3776 with a soft fine nib a couple of years ago when you could get one for about 70 bucks on Amazon. (Shipped from Japan) I'd never had a Platinum and was curious.

It performs well, and I don't have any complaints, but it's a pretty boring pen.

I see now they are about 150 bucks. I wouldn't give 150 bucks for it. I think there are much better pens out there for that money.

I also bought the burgundy at a bargain price a couple of years ago. I really like the performance, very reliable, smooth with a bit of nice feedback. I wouldn’t pay the current price though

Top Bottom