What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Had a pretty good day today! Found a cased Ranger Tech, a NEW SC, and a Micromatic Clog Pruf. I never thought I'd find a Ranger Tech in the wild. Also, this is my first SC. I'll be using it in the morning for OCtober.
IMG_20171008_212754.jpg
The Ranger Tech cleaned up really nice:
IMG_20171008_212958.jpg

IMG_20171008_213007.jpg

IMG_20171008_213037.jpg

Someone had put this brown Bakelite handle on the NEW SC. When tightened down all the way, the cap was still loose. The threads were bottoming out in the handle:
IMG_20171008_212842.jpg

I took a Ball End Tech handle off of a NEW LC with bent tooth, and it snugged the SC cap down nice and tight! The Bakelite handle works well on the LC, snugging its cap down tight.
IMG_20171008_212938.jpg

My first acquisition out in the real world. Best I can tell it is a 47-51 Fat Handle Tech, funny on e-bay the one I was looking at that is identical to this they were saying it was a 1920's-1930's, and almost 4 times as much as what I payed and not in as good of shape. I am sure that the discrepancy is just an honest mistake. Nothing fancy but I like it and may just keep it vintage in honor of my first kill in the wild.

Found a Gillette Slim Adjustable M1 at my wife's grandfather's house. It looked in bad shape but still I felt like I found some buried treasure.
Took it home, did some cleaning, rinsing, lubricating etc and here it is...a functional and pretty 50 year old :)
Thank your forums and youtube for tips on have to clean a vintage razor.
I am so happy right now.
proxy.php

Well this razor has eluded me for a long time now but finally I got one! A NEW Big Boy! Ever since Honka Hey or Mark as I know him let me use his NEW Deluxe and got to shave with it for almost 2 weeks and I feel in love with it from the first Shave to the last. I told Mark as soon as I shaved with it I’ve got to get one. Well easier said than done! Oh I found a few and I lost out on at least 5 of them. So View attachment 827421 View attachment 827422 View attachment 827423 View attachment 827424 Mark my friend I can finally add one to my den and rotation and thanks for all your helpful info and history lessons on the NEW! :a5:

Excellent one! NEW DeLuxe razors among my favourite ones... on a pair with SRs!

My first acquisition out in the real world. Best I can tell it is a 47-51 Fat Handle Tech, funny on e-bay the one I was looking at that is identical to this they were saying it was a 1920's-1930's, and almost 4 times as much as what I payed and not in as good of shape. I am sure that the discrepancy is just an honest mistake. Nothing fancy but I like it and may just keep it vintage in honor of my first kill in the wild.

Congrats! I have never ever found anything in the wild...

Found a Gillette Slim Adjustable M1 at my wife's grandfather's house. It looked in bad shape but still I felt like I found some buried treasure.
Took it home, did some cleaning, rinsing, lubricating etc and here it is...a functional and pretty 50 year old :)
I am so happy right now.
proxy.php

Very well done!

I am so happy right now.
proxy.php
Nice clean up. Congrats!

Nice find in the wild. I just got one exactly like yours and can't wait to take it for a spin.
Congrats!

nice find! I love some of the prices on the bay. I saw a black beauty for $500 starting bid and it wasn't even new in the box!

Got another british Tech variant for the collection and this is a really heavy weight. In total: 63 grams (the handle 38, the cap 15, and the baseplate 11 respectively).
[The US ball-end Tech has 62 grams, the british fat handle flat bottom Tech 50, the US pre-war fat handle 48 grams.]

I only have seen this kind of handle made of aluminum before, but never made of brass. Maybe this is a transitional model as it fits the Tech set No. 24 except for the handle almost to a T. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1956 (B1 on blade) No24 Tech England.JPG (There even was a Blue Gillette Blade with the date code B1 still sitting in this box.) The razor itself never had been used. It has a very nice and heavy feel to it.

If possible I'd like to find out more about this specific Tech model.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg

Got another british Tech variant for the collection and this is a really heavy weight. In total: 63 grams (the handle 38, the cap 15, and the baseplate 11 respectively).
[The US ball-end Tech has 62 grams, the british fat handle flat bottom Tech 50, the US pre-war fat handle 48 grams.]

I only have seen this kind of handle made of aluminum before, but never made of brass. Maybe this is a transitional model as it fits the Tech set No. 24 except for the handle almost to a T. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1956 (B1 on blade) No24 Tech England.JPG (There even was a Blue Gillette Blade with the date code B1 still sitting in this box.) The razor itself never had been used. It has a very nice and heavy feel to it.

View attachment 827594 View attachment 827596 View attachment 827597
That's a nice looking Tech! Unless it's a transitional piece, like you said, it looks like someone put a new handle (mid-60s +) on an older head (mid-50s). It looks like, on mr-razor.com, that the zamak cap was in use with this handle.

Regardless, I'm sure it'll give you some terrific shaves! Congrats!

That my friend is a really nice looking Tech! Congrats on a nice find!

nice find! I love some of the prices on the bay. I saw a black beauty for $500 starting bid and it wasn't even new in the box!
Well I have certainly overpaid for a hand full of things on e-bay but not to that extent. I know going in that I am never going to have a large collection but there are a hand full of things I really want and if I have to overpay a little then so be it. Every thing past that will have to be acquired out in the real world with a grind it out approach.

That's a nice looking Tech! Unless it's a transitional piece, like you said, it looks like someone put a new handle (mid-60s +) on an older head (mid-50s). It looks like, on mr-razor.com, that the zamak cap was in use with this handle.

Regardless, I'm sure it'll give you some terrific shaves! Congrats!

I assumed that the zamak cap came with the aluminum handle. The canadian 1966 Tech "L1" "full nickel" may have the heavy handle. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1966 Tech L1 Canada.jpg
The 1967 Sportsman Tech Razor looks like to have an aluminum handle. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1967 Tech England.JPG
So there aren't too many models with the heavy handle as far as I can see.

It could be that someone took a mid-60s handle and added it to a mid-50s head. But it must have been a totally new head and handle back then.

That my friend is a really nice looking Tech! Congrats on a nice find!

Well, this!

Thank you very much to you both!

VERY NICE!

Top Bottom