What's new

Double Ring confirmation (or rejection) help, please

Hi,

Not yet. But we can! :p

-- --- .-. ... . For example. ;)

Said the ham born within sight of Locust Grove.

What hath God wrought?

73s

Stan - as we turn this into a ham thread now that the original issue is resolved....

What's embarrassing. You got duped. I'm sure he was hoping you wouldn't notice. If the seller was educated enough to even know that Gillette made a Double Ring razor, then he would know that Gillette would be stamped on the razor, and verify what he had. At first glance, one might think it's a Double Ring, but upon further examination, it's validity is much in doubt.

Even a real DR wouldn't have Gillette stamped on it. The trademark started being stamped only in late 1908/early 1909.

Of course, doesn't have a serial # (and the first 55K also didn't have one), nor patent info ... not to mention the rings that are different.

BUT, I don't think the seller was deceitful. He probably saw a real DR for sale and thought his was the real thing too. In the end he was pretty cool about all this situation. I'm glad Dan got his money back, that's what matters.

Hi,

Yes. Seeing no S/N or trademark and two rings would have me thinking Really Early One, too. It is only when this one is seen side-by the actual one the ring difference stands out. If ever I see one again, I will know, though, and only because of this thread.

Not that I would be looking to pick up a DR. I am happy with my 1921 very late S/N Thin Cap. Because it was my Grandfather's and the shave is pretty much the same, I would prefer to use his. So, all the DR searchers are safe from me bidding against them. :)

Stan

Even a real DR wouldn't have Gillette stamped on it. The trademark started being stamped only in late 1908/early 1909.

Of course, doesn't have a serial # (and the first 55K also didn't have one), nor patent info ... not to mention the rings that are different.

BUT, I don't think the seller was deceitful. He probably saw a real DR for sale and thought his was the real thing too. In the end he was pretty cool about all this situation. I'm glad Dan got his money back, that's what matters.
Still working on that part - but the problem is on this end. The Seller, who has been most gracious and professional through this, offered to refund 60% of the money as soon as I agreed, then the balance when the razor arrived. I told him I would prefer he wait until I could at least give him a tracking number so that he would know it was on its way - trust-building by both parties.

Went to the Post Office and was told Registered Mail would be the least expensive option to get tracking and signature, they gave me my tracking number on my receipt and I was on my way. Trouble started yesterday when both the Seller and I tried to track - USPS site responded with "This service is not available to the UK". What?! Went to the Post Office this morning and all the clerks swore up and down that tracking was included with all Registered Mail. Well, until they went to their manuals and researched it again. Seems recent rules changes have eliminated International Tracking for Registered Mail. The next least expensive option for International Tracking is now Priority Express @ $70 for a small flat rate box!!!!!!! Typical government operation.

FWIW, this was the only razor the Seller has sold since the beginning of June, so I doubt he's as knowledgeable as this crew. Heck, I blew it, big time, too. I think it was an honest mistake on his part.

II sent a package to Sweden the same way. The Post office swore up and down that this would track all the way to the other doorstep. Lo and behold tracking ended at the shore! Held my breath for a week until the recipient emailed me that the package arrived. The postal system is messed up!!

Last edited:
I should have checked his name. That guy does sell a lot of razors and his descriptions always seem to be fairly accurate.

But I still think it was an honest mistake. Pretty much he copies what he sees on Achim's site, and I believe the "DR" was no exception. Some of the descriptions even mention the site.

Maybe I'm just too credulous ...

I should have checked his name. That guy does sell a lot of razors and his descriptions always seem to be fairly accurate.

But I still think it was an honest mistake. Pretty much he copies what he sees on Achim's site, and I believe the "DR" was no exception. Some of the descriptions even mention the site.

Maybe I'm just too credulous ...
And I just discovered that when I searched on his name and Items for Sale and checked Sold Listings, if I leave "Item Location" as "Default", it returns only 1 razor sale in the last 3 months. Checking "Worldwide" gives the returns that Brian discovered.

Details....

Not yet. But we can! [emoji14]

-- --- .-. ... . For example. ;)
I can't understand them dots and dashes. I did a ton of CW back in the day and can only decipher it by ear and with paper - ear to hand training, a reflex.

I can't understand them dots and dashes. I did a ton of CW back in the day and can only decipher it by ear and with paper - ear to hand training, a reflex.
Same for me - I was certified to 35wpm ear-to-hand, would struggle to get 35wphour reading <lol>

Hi,

Yeah, me too. I have to sound them out, and then maybe more than once, to get it. I was a solid 30 wpm back in the late 70s / early 80s. Back to 5 wpm these days due to lack of use. In my case, being a radio design engineer from 1994-2013 rather made doing much radio at home too much like work. So, during that time I was pretty much doing only VHF and up stuff and mobile. Not much need for CW, so away it went. I picked up an old Kenwood TS430s just over a year ago and strung up a 400+ foot longwire so slowly getting back into it. :)

73s

Stan

Edit: I ought to explain some here. The OP is a Ham Radio guy, as am I. So, I used a telegraph code '73' which means Best Regards. Like texting, Morse Code uses shorthand, some of which are the same, some of which are not. That made a bit of Off Topic chatter here and there as others who are Hams chimed in.

So, for the non Hams who are following KS6C's original topic, just skip over our side excursions, especially the ones with Morse Code written in dots and dashes! And, if anyone cares, the Morse in my Sig says 73 DE WA2KQY. :) 73 means Best Regards, DE means 'From Sending Station' and WA2KQY is my full call, which I only use the suffix of for my B+B name (plus the 61 of when I was born)

Stan

Last edited:
Thought I would update the situation to report that I have received a full refund, to include shipping. The Seller probably sent me 20 emails along the way, keeping me updated with ebay & paypal issues, which were tied up with a massive HSBC payment systems outage (reported in the Financial Times, btw, so I could follow along!).

Stan, a little bit of trivia for you - French was the international language of diplomacy (before Microsoft & Windows replaced it with English), and DE is the French word for "from". The other one I find interesting is the radio communications spoken standard for help, which all of the GIs in WWII learned as "Mayday", a bastardization of the French "m'aidez", or "help me". Lesson over <grin>

Top Bottom