What's new

Playstation 4

Hello fellow gamers! The PS4 was announced by Sony tonight and I wanted to collect your thoughts. After watching the press conference it seems that Sony is taking a huge risk in the future of their market share. A few hours of press conference and it was all showing teasers of games (virtual reality is truly here seeing what they had), and they showed the controller. That was it! We don't know pricing or even what the system looks like....

What we do know is that the system will focus heavily on online usage to get your games (no more disks? Maybe!) and the system won't be backwards compatible with any of the precious systems. WOW!

So..... What do you all think?

Personally..I had turbo grafix 16/Nintendo when I was a kid in the 1990's..all this PS 4, Vita...etc...confuses me...:lol:..but I can say that at some point every new game system will work with previous games when used just a matter before someone finds a "work around"..just my $0.02

I guess I'm getting old, my ps3 does more than I know it can do and if gaming systems stopped at the ps3, I'd say we hit the finish line. Graphics are stellar, enemies are oftentimes scary intelligent, and I have fun.

Hello fellow gamers! The PS4 was announced by Sony tonight and I wanted to collect your thoughts. After watching the press conference it seems that Sony is taking a huge risk in the future of their market share. A few hours of press conference and it was all showing teasers of games (virtual reality is truly here seeing what they had), and they showed the controller. That was it! We don't know pricing or even what the system looks like....

What we do know is that the system will focus heavily on online usage to get your games (no more disks? Maybe!) and the system won't be backwards compatible with any of the precious systems. WOW!

So..... What do you all think?

Well... that sucks.

any word on whether or not it will play new games only? and not used?

it was a big rumor for a while.

i waited about two years to get a ps3 from when it first came out. i might do the same with this one.

i played my ps2 for 8 yrs before upgrading. i was hoping for something along the same lines for the next PlayStation.

I will probably not get a ps4 until they have come out with the next generations of these games: Tekken, Metal gear, UFC, Uncharted, Call of duty.

Just saw the list of announced games on the ps4's Wikipedia page. i'm not interested in any of those.

I'm fairly bitter about that too. Thankfully for PS2, my favorite titles are on the PSN for a cheap price. Still stupid I had to rebuy them to play them on the new systems.

there's an operationg system or a type of update on the PS store, that says it will allow you to play ps2 games on your ps3. but i think it has to be the 80g and 60g version. Not the newer slim ones.

this version:
proxy.php

i have the 80g one, but i haven't downloaded it yet.

Wait, it won't play PS3 games. If that's the case, I'm probably not biting. 34 years old now and can't really see paying $500 for a new system anyway.

Max

Those systems were the only ones that were ps2 compatible.

there's an operationg system or a type of update on the PS store, that says it will allow you to play ps2 games on your ps3. but i think it has to be the 80g and 60g version. Not the newer slim ones.

this version:
proxy.php

i have the 80g one, but i haven't downloaded it yet.

Legion

Staff member
I'm thinking it might be time to get a cheap PS3, if only for the blue ray playing capabilities. I still have a PS2, and never use it. I don't have time to play games,sadly.

I'll probably get one at some point, when some game I want to play comes out. GTA V will be released on PS3, so no hurry on that part. I'll gladly take another Uncharted title, as long as it isn't Uncharted Racing, or whatever it would be called. Look at Naughty Dogs history, there is certainly a pattern there. Watch Dogs sound interesting to me, but I'm skeptical as to how open of a world it will really be.

Good to see they didn't change the controller a whole lot. Anyone remember the DualMaritalAid pictures from the times of PS3 rumors? :lol:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I won't be buying one anytime soon. I love the PS3, but if they didn't make it backwards compatible I won't buy it.

You are probably one of many who will have this same sentiment.
bingo!

I'm sure they will likely sell the PS3 for a long time more since the 4 is not backwards compatible.

my guess is that it will be in the $599-$799 range. They are outrageously pricey when they first come out. I'd rather have xbox 720 though. but wont be buying either one.

They just played catch-up. I was LMAO when they announced they are going back to x86 arch. after their big FAIL Cell processor (that's way it is not backwards compatible). Sony stopped innovating years ago. In the other hand Microsoft IS working in technology like 'Gamer' movie, but obviously it is years before it is ready. Please wake me up when one of the 'big' boys buys Oculus Rift and make it affordable/commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI

Wow - that truly is one of the most counterproductive posts I've seen on this site. I see that you are new and I want to welcome you to a very nice and well rounded group of folks. I will caution you that going forward, we all value and appreciate productive posts that fuel the topic. This is not an example of such a post. If you don't have something productive and contributing to say, don't post - simple as that around here.

They just played catch-up. I was LMAO when they announced they are going back to x86 arch. after their big FAIL Cell processor (that's way it is not backwards compatible). Sony stopped innovating years ago. In the other hand Microsoft IS working in technology like 'Gamer' movie, but obviously it is years before it is ready. Please wake me up when one of the 'big' boys buys Oculus Rift and make it affordable/commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJo12Hz_BVI

Wow - that truly is one of the most counterproductive posts I've seen on this site. I see that you are new and I want to welcome you to a very nice and well rounded group of folks. I will caution you that going forward, we all value and appreciate productive posts that fuel the topic. This is not an example of such a post. If you don't have something productive and contributing to say, don't post - simple as that around here.

i agree with DC_MPA, we try to keep things on the friendly/polite side around these parts.

I'm thinking it might be time to get a cheap PS3, if only for the blue ray playing capabilities. I still have a PS2, and never use it. I don't have time to play games,sadly.

David, it really is fantastic as a Blu Ray player so if you can snag one for the right price go for it. I really don't play games on it either anymore. Really only the Uncharted, Madden and GTA series. So that's usually only about two games a year. I do use it as BluRay often and to occasionally stream content, but for the most part, I use my Apple TV to stream media.

Max.

Just out of curiosity, what was offensive about his post? Isn't he just offering an option on processor power? Did I kiss something?

Max

Won't bite until I'm forced to by the introduction of Gran Turismo 6.

Until then my 60gb PS3 will be used for Gran Turismo 1-5

Top Bottom