What's new

Playstation 5

I had a chance to preorder a PS5, but passed. In the meantime, my PS4 seems to be dying (games freeze, glitch, slow loading, etc.) so I started the hunt for a PS5. I had no idea they'd be so difficult to get--in launches past I've always been able to find what I wanted with a bit of diligence. Not this time--never in the past was I up against bots that that grab everything and check out in seconds. I've had a PS5 in my cart 3 times at Walmart only to be greeted with a note saying the item in my cart is no longer available when I hit purchase literally like 30 seconds after they become available for sale. Stores don't have any, but there are currently over 11,000 for sale on our favorite auction site with absurd asking prices. No way will I pay extra for the privilege of helping Sony identify and work out the hardware and software bugs in launch units.

Anyway, I've only ever owned Playstation and Nintendo consoles. I've never owned an Xbox because I always thought of it as geared toward sports games (nothing I didn't already have on PlayStation but missing MLB the Show) and first person shooters (the only series I enjoyed was Metroid Prime on Nintendo). But the new Xbox Series S has somewhat intrigued me--not too expensive ($300) and games pass seems like a bargain. In my family we enjoy platformers (i.e. Mario, Rayman), simulations (i.e. Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley), story driven games (i.e. Star Wars, Final Fantasy), and sports. I'm looking at my stack of PS4 exclusives that are really great (Infamous, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn) and wondering if I'd find any exclusives like those on Xbox. Any suggestions? TBH, the only Xbox exclusives I know of are Forza (which I assume is just their version of Gran Turismo), Fable, and Halo (but again, I don't love FPS games)--I'm sure there are more you can enlighten me on.

While I continue my PS5 search, my daughter is dying to get the new Hyrule Warriors game (I have 4 daughters and we all individually spent a good 70+ hours in BOTW)--and I'll keep pondering if I should buy a Series S if the PS4 dies before I can find a PS5.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
PS5 now is like toilet paper in April.

Good luck getting your hands on any now ... but if you can wait 6 months, no problem.

PS5 now is like toilet paper in April.

Good luck getting your hands on any now ... but if you can wait 6 months, no problem.
This.

Unless you pay some scumbag $1000+ on Craigslist, you ain’t getting one anytime soon.

My son wants one for Christmas. He doesn’t HAVE to have it luckily, so no big deal. I can’t get one but one guy on Craigslist alone has 5 or 6. Only $1200CAD each. Douchebag. 👎

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have been looking but I think the video scalpers have them all. My PS4 Pro still works fine but it sounds like a jet taking off when it loads. I hope it doesn’t die.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have been looking but I think the video scalpers have them all. My PS4 Pro still works fine but it sounds like a jet taking off when it loads. I hope it doesn’t die.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You are in the boat with millions of others. We are all crap out of luck. I was going to pre-order one but completely forgot about it. When I finally saw they were on sale I looked for about 30 minutes online and realized it is a lost cause. I’ll just wait till next Summer and get one.

It was about 6 or 7 months ago when I was looking for a Nintendo Switch and you could not find one anywhere. Now my local Walmart has 2 in stock and all the colors of Switch Lite. I’m sure in about 6-12 months it will be the same with the PS5 and new Xbox.

I forget which system it was but I read that they don’t plan on having them in retailers at all this holiday season.

I lucked out and checked on best buy last week in the morning. Showed the option to add it to cart. Long story short, it showed up yesterday. I really like it. The controller is taking some getting used to.

Like new systems in the past, it'll be a least a year after their release that I'll get one.
Unfortunately I enjoy games that are dedicated to each system and will thus be buying both.
Luckily I'm quite content with what currently have and am not antsy about having to have the latest and greatest right away.

Top Bottom