What's new

Your favorite opening 30 seconds to a song is??

I dig the 70s spacey synthy stuff, so here are a few from the top of my head:
Rush 2112 - the intro is more like 1:30, but still
Steve Miller Band Threshold/Jet Airliner - ditto
Steve Miller Band Space Intro/Fly Like an Eagle - a little over a minute of bliss
The Who Baba O'riley

2112? DING DING DING! we have a winner!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
It being Fathers Day yesterday...for me it's;

Luther Vandross - "Dance with my Father"

Why...?
proxy.php

Because this song triggers a set of memories for me about my dearly departed Father (lawyer/infrantryman [WWII and Korea]), in which I did dance on his feet (and later when

I was older...he taught me
proxy.php
ballroom dancing [wih Mom's (she was a WAC in WWII), approval), many times when I was young...Mom and I miss you Dad!!!

proxy.php
"Listening to music can remind you of the gift that your Father gave to you - life". Unknown Author

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cure created some extraordinary instrumental intros to their best songs.

Faith: (considered by many to be their best song - 2 minute intro)

A Forest: (considered by many to be their best song - this live version captures the spirit perfectly)

Pictures of You: (considered by many to be their best song: wait for the Schubertian sunlight at 1:32 - and I love how the crowd responds to it.)

"Strawberry Fields Forever" by the Beatles is certainly up there for me. First, that eerie, wobbly mellotron intro, the John's voice (slowed down a bit), then a nice Ringo drum roll, followed by a rush of descending strings that seem to suck you in to the song. And once the song gets going, it certainly doesn't disappoint.

How about (for a bit of interest...or not :001_smile):

Jethro Tull songs:
-Steel Monkey
-Raising Steam

Led Zep:
-Good times Bad times
-Moby Dick
-You shook me

A number of Stratovarius songs which include:
-Deep unknown
-Forever is today

Can we do a last 1min 30seconds of a song?

A co-worker and I have started a daily A-capella Karaoke session at her desk to kick-start the day.

We sing the first chorus of a lot of songs that were popular in our youth,
and everyone else just stares at us and wonders "what's wrong with those people?"

Recent songs have included:

"Rolling on the River"
"Living Just Enough for the City."
"Obla-di Obla-Da."
"Back in the USSR."
"Feel Like I'm Fixing to Die Rag."
"California Girls" (both Katy Perry and David Lee Roth versions.)

im disappointed that no one has mentioned the dead. almost any dead song will do but here are the ones that really get me.
scarlet begonias - gd
mississippi half-step - gd
shakedown street - gd

im disappointed that no one has mentioned the dead. almost any dead song will do but here are the ones that really get me.
scarlet begonias - gd
mississippi half-step - gd
shakedown street - gd

Not a bad list for their more-recent tunes. But "Casey Jones," "Dark Star," and "China Cat Sunflower" have distinctive openings, too.

Not a bad list for their more-recent tunes. But "Casey Jones," "Dark Star," and "China Cat Sunflower" have distinctive openings, too.

i agree, but those were the last three (with noticeable intros) to come on my shuffle. you also cant discount their amazing jam sessions after/in the middle/before any song they ever did live. i mean in the right state of mind every one of their songs has an amazing intro and will speak to you.

Top Bottom