What's new

My Homemade BR AS samples - weigh in HERE!

Ok, day 3 of me having the sample.

I used it last night and wow. It was really good, made my face feel great after a DFS. I had to introduce TWGW to the term faceturbate.

Disclaimer: I was a Bay Rum virgin when I woke up this morning.

Got my sample today. Haven't tried it as an AS yet, but smell out of bottle was overwhelmingly clove. I don't like clove. Not sure what other Bay Rums are like, though, so I don't know if the clove here is relatively strong or light.

In the mail today also came my Ogallala Bay Rum sample pack containing their straight Bay Rum Cologne; straight Bay Rum PS/AS/Toner; Bay Rum & Sandlewood AS/Cologne/Toner; Bay Rum, Sage & Cedar AS/Cologne/Toner; and Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns AS/Cologne/Toner. The plain Bay Rums are not quite as clovey (but clovey enough!) as the Captain's homemade juice but also more artificial smelling. The combo products smell like nasty medicines with the exception of the Limes & Peppercorns, which is merely tolerable, probably due to the presence of lovely limes.

Anyway, I mention the Ogallala to give me additional perspective on Bay Rum scents, but also because after subjecting myself to its kinda fake smell I began to appreciate Captain's product a bit more. The homemade stuff definitely has a richer, deeper, more complex smell. After revisiting it, I detected the faint but pleasant orange-citrus undertone that someone else mentioned. Maybe it wasn't orange at all, maybe just the clove mellowing or something like that... regardless, it grew on me.

While I surely won't be purchasing anymore Bay Rum products, I will have no problems finishing off this homemade sample.

Edit #1: For the record, I made a very modest financial arrangement with the Capt. to have an up-sized sample shipped to Canada. I just wanted to clear that up for other Canadians who haven't been able to get a free sample due to prohibitive international shipping costs for Capt.

Edit #2: Seems as though I have a sensitivity to something in the Bay Rum (not just to this one, but to Ogallala, too) and will likely be PIF'ing this sample bottle (along with the Ogallala) to a fellow Canuck who wanted in on this trial but couldn't due to said financial/shipping hurdles. I'll make a new, separate post in the AS forum regarding this next week.

Last edited:
T

true01

Is it still posible to get in on this...Would love to try it out...

So after using this product for a couple of days hear are my thoughts on it. The smell out of the bottle is a beautiful warm scent with some clove and a little cinnamon. On the skin this product is great, it opens up with clove, cinnamon, rum, and butter. Truly one of the better BR I've used. There wasn't much of a burn just more of a feeling of warmth which I like. It dried very quickly and left my face soft, smooth and without any tackiness. Definitely a product that I would buy.

I think it odd that a few have mentioned the clove smell as strong. I get far less clove than in other bay rums I've tried. Pinaud bay rum is very clove heavy, IMO. As a point of comparison.

With that being said, I really like this scent (I am now finished with my sample) and I would definitely order a bottle of this without hesitation. The feeling leftover on the face is top notch.

This is my favorite bay rum...2nd in line is Hawleywoods tied with Dominca, Pinaud is my least favorite, but I still like it (of those I've tried).

Last edited:
I think it odd that a few have mentioned the clove smell as strong. I get far less clove than in other bay rums I've tried. Pinaud bay rum is very clove heavy, IMO. As a point of comparison.

With that being said, I really like this scent (I am now finished with my sample) and I would definitely order a bottle of this without hesitation. The feeling leftover on the face is top notch.

This is my favorite bay rum...2nd in line is Hawleywoods tied with Dominca, Pinaud is my least favorite, but I still like it (of those I've tried).

+1

I found The Captain's Bay Rum to have very little or no clove smell similar to Dominica. Pinaud and Ogallala on the other hand are completely full of clove, I still love them but they are totally different animals.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I took today off. The postman usually gets here around one. Of course, I was waiting for my sample so the jerk comes at almost 5. But it did get here, it smells great, and I will be giving it a go in the AM

Hey guys:

FYI, the samples you have do have some cloves in them. They have been dropped from my other batches - no cloves. I don't like 'em in there to begin with and only included them as the recipe called for them. Having tried both ways, I love the clove-less version much better. So, a good BR has been improved and this based on your feedback and my personal preference to begin with. I guess the "cook" gets to make the call!

Used twice so far
[echo]
In the bottle I get a clove scent, when applied it has an initial heavy punch of cinnamon, clove, and ?rum?. Then it blooms into what I describe as a woodsy cinnamon with a much softer touch of clove. Alongside those notes I start picking up a buttery, sweet, vanilla type of scent. It dries fast with a almost zero burn. So far the wifey likes as long as I let it soak in for a minute. [/echo]
I think next I'll test how long it can be smelled for. For this I will need to bring in a new nose. If I'm wearing something it's hard for me to pick up on any brand of cologne after a minute or two.

Oh I forgot to mention, every time I apply this I get some head buzz/rush. It's kinda neat.

Last edited:
+1

I found The Captain's Bay Rum to have very little or no clove smell similar to Dominica. Pinaud and Ogallala on the other hand are completely full of clove, I still love them but they are totally different animals.

+2

While the only other Bay Rum I've tried is the Pinaud I find yours to have less clove smell. I like the more subtle fragrance. It is somehow more refreshing and clean. I also like that it has less sting. I just wish the scent stayed around longer.

If it was for sale, it would definitely be in my shave den.

Lewis

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
While I am not good at describing things like wines and after shaves, I will agree with all that has been said. I think the sting is about right. Maybe I am wrong, but if the alcohol content were higher, wouldn't the scent content be lower? And wouldn't that make it stick around less? I wouldn't want that- I want this smell to linger. If it comes up for sale, I will buy it. Good job, Captain.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The only comparison I have is with Pinaud's version, which I like, but look forward to trying other varieties. When sniffing from the sample, before application, the clove aroma seems less than that of Pinaud, but upon application I experience more clove! I found that the fragrance does not last as long as Pinaud, but I also didn't apply as much as I would the Pinaud. As the clove tones down I find it settles into a pleasant cinnamon/spicy/vanilla type fragrance. SWMBO likes its residual fragrance, but it is not very distinct over time. I find it has little if any sting, I would prefer a little more. I happened to push today's shave towards BBS with a Feather a little too hard and got some razor burn. My use of an alum block showed me the error of my ways, but Captain's BR did not sting upon application. The after-effects for my skin were positive, but difficult to attribute solely to the BR as other products were used, such as witch hazel. All in all, It is a very likable AS, I would prefer less clove and a bit more sting. I will certainly continue to use it until it is gone, and if I come to further impressions, I will share them. With a little tweaking, I would buy it and if samples with less clove and more sting were available, I'd love to test that and share my impression as well. Thank you Captain for the opportunity to sample your Bay Rum AS!

Edit: It seems this was an early sample with cloves, I later received a sample w/o cloves, see later post for my impression of that version.

Last edited:
Well Gentlemen, an update of sorts. It has been two weeks now that the thread was started and requests keep coming in for free samples. I'd like to think it's not because it is free but rather it is from the favorable feedback posted. I am most encouraged at your replies and am grateful for all you "guinea pigs" out there.

My grandmother, having grown up on the farm would tell me I got the cart ahead of the horse. The product you have tried was mixed up here in the kitchen and is the result of much fiddling and tweaking with whole batches tossed until I got what I was after. It cost some coin.

Here is the problem: Now that I have what I have been after, I find out it is illegal. Apparently since there is Everclear and rum in the recipe, according to the ATF it isn't aftershave I would be selling. It is alcohol I would be selling. And to be legal I need to fill out a TON of paperwork, pay fees, get inspected - you don't want to go down that road.

So now I need to start over with ATF approved ingredients and try to replicate the version you all like so much. To be fair, the legal aspect has its reasons. They can't just have anybody selling alcohol and the aftershave you have could be drunk by a child. The quantity you have wouldn't do any harm but a five ounce bottle drunk by a youngster could knock 'em cold.

This is going to take time, maybe months but I will get it figured out. Presently I have stuff on order and once I get it will start again. The advantage is I have the ideal sample that has good reviews. I can measure this new version against it until I have one that is a near twin. That is the plan anyway.

To those who have asked, I plan on selling it. Likely it will be in five ounce bottles. I am still working on what my cost is and now that is in the air with all ingredients changing. That is my biggest surprise - it is very expensive to make this stuff. Contributing factors are small batches, paying retail for some ingredients, has to age for a time, etc. For that though, you get a truly hand made batch of bay rum aftershave unavailable elsewhere. It is possible the five ounce bottle will sell for $19.00 or so plus shipping. Is that something you would buy at that price point?

Last edited:
Scott,

PM'd you, but publishing my impressions.

It's the ONLY A/S my wife has ever liked on me. This is a BIG plus.

I love the scent, too. Much less sweet than Bigelow's.

Could last just a tad longer, but it does last. And lastly, seems to be
every bit as moisturising, to me, as an A/S balm.

I love it.

I also NEED some really soon.

John

I see SD alcohol 40 in your future, which is a bummer, because I think the rum ads something compared to say Superior. I wonder if there is a bittering agent or something that could be added to make it undrinkable but retain the essence. Also, and no idea if the ATF GaF about it, but doesn't Bay Laurel itself make the concoction poisonous and undrinkable? Whether it's steeping or EO, I thought I had initially read when researching Bay Rums that the Bay itself made it undrinkable. Not sure if that helps, but might be worth looking into...

Received my sample Friday, April 8th. Not sure I can add anything new to what has already been said.:bored: The color and aroma was nice and "full" out of the bottle. Used the sample Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights and this morning. Scent last roughly 2 hours on me. Did not feel any "burn", it needs burn. The "mixture's" ratio is good but if more "burn" or alcohol is added you will have to adjust your conditioning or moisturizing agent as well.

Got good reviews from my wife.:w00t: She actually commented again this morning, "that sample smells really nice, that guy did a good job".:thumbup: You get that kind of comment from my wife, it must be good.

So now, after getting some feedback you find out you can't make it b/c of ATF laws.:glare: Bummer!

If or when you reformulate, if you need another "tester" let me know.:thumbup1:

It is possible the five ounce bottle will sell for $19.00 or so plus shipping. Is that something you would buy at that price point?

For 5oz. of homemade, great-smelling AS from a small vendor? And a B&B DIY-er to boot?

I think that price is beyond fair. And what's more, it's a good product.

Good luck. Hope you figure out a recipe that works! :thumbup1:

It is possible the five ounce bottle will sell for $19.00 or so plus shipping. Is that something you would buy at that price point?

I think that for this quality of product, that shouldn't be a hindrance for you. I know that I would have no problem with paying that for something that has literally changed my impression of Aftershave splashes.

I see SD alcohol 40 in your future, which is a bummer, because I think the rum ads something compared to say Superior. I wonder if there is a bittering agent or something that could be added to make it undrinkable but retain the essence. Also, and no idea if the ATF GaF about it, but doesn't Bay Laurel itself make the concoction poisonous and undrinkable? Whether it's steeping or EO, I thought I had initially read when researching Bay Rums that the Bay itself made it undrinkable. Not sure if that helps, but might be worth looking into...

"Bay Laurel" is not the "bay" in bay rum. It's pimenta racemosa which is bay tree oil. Yes, it's poisonous but likely not in minute quantities. The idea behind using SD (denatured) alcohol is to make the product immediately "nasty tasting" should someone try to drink it.

Captain, I'm sorry you are having to go through this bureaucrap-tic mess, because your sample product is first rate. Keep us informed of your progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom