What's new

Favorite DE safety razor of all time?

The best shavers in my den are the Lord L5 and the Yuma, but my favorite is my 1978 Gillette Superadjustable 109. Can’t really say why. It shaves very well (I think it’s the best of the Gillette adjustables) but it has an undefinable quality that appeals to me. Perhaps paying only $10 for it in never-used condition has something to do w it.

I personally prefer milder razors with sharp blades (Feather or Kai), and will recommend the following without reservation:

1) Weber DLC ( my go to razor), not sure if it is readily available on the market, my other favorites below are available -
2) Pils 101
3) OneBlade Genesis
4) Feather AS-D2

It took awhile to find my preferences, I was very fortunate to buy direct the Weber before production ended, all my recommendations are the result of comments from the far more experienced Badger & Blade members who I greatly appreciate.

After starting out with various Gillette Techs, and progressing through other Gillette stalwarts, Fatboy, HD Rocket, Red Tip Rocket, I finally landed on what I considered to be the best for me. The Gillette Old. It required a light touch, but nothing else I had used came close to its efficiency, and the closeness of its shave.

That was until I stumbled across the following at a street market. “Is it worth $15 to you?” was the question. I simply said yes, and took it home. It is within a shade of the Old Type’s efficiency and closeness, but so much more comfortable and fool proof.

A two piece version of the Gillette New Long Comb. I think my search is over.

F386A8EC-82A9-4672-A18E-DD1C990E6CCD.jpeg

F2B6FD43-9A6E-4F9D-9B54-8DE4E71C0954.jpeg

Whilst this particular Gillette New Type Long Comb will not be easy to find, a second hand three piece should be easy enough to obtain, and and would be my pick if you were looking to try something new.

Last edited:
Depends what you are after as it's hard to compare different types so these are my current DE favourites:

Standard: 3one6 (although 34C a close second) but I suspect there are better so just bought Meta4 and might try AS-D2.
Butterfly: have yet to find one that makes me happy, need to try more.
Slant: 37C
Open Comb: Razorock SLOC Aluminium
Adjustable: Rex Ambasador Rhodium
Adjustable System: Rockwell '4C' (2C + R2/4 plate)

I’m almost a year and a half into the DE wet shaving hobby. I’ve been trying out what I believe is a fair number of different razors. For me, the Karve Overlander brass continuously comes out on top. I enjoy using other DE razors, but if I had to choose just one. That would be it.

After starting out with various Gillette Techs, and progressing through other Gillette stalwarts, Fatboy, HD Rocket, Red Tip Rocket, I finally landed on what I considered to be the best for me. The Gillette Old. It required a light touch, but nothing else I had used came close to its efficiency, and the closeness of its shave.

That was until I stumbled across the following at a street market. “Is it worth $15 to you?” was the question. I simply said yes, and took it home. It is within a shade of the Old Type’s efficiency and closeness, but so much more comfortable and fool proof.

A two piece version of the Gillette New Long Comb. I think my search is over.

View attachment 1640633
View attachment 1640634

Whilst this particular Gillette New Type Long Comb will not be easy to find, a second hand three piece should be easy enough to obtain, and and would be my pick if you were looking to try something new.
It's a two-piece version of the Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) New. There are at least two of them, so I'm not sure, but it mai be what is called a #77. Fantastic s aver, to be sure. The three-piece version is also amazing.

Definitely one of the best razors Gillette ever made. Good find.

It's a two-piece version of the Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) New. There are at least two of them, so I'm not sure, but it mai be what is called a #77. Fantastic s aver, to be sure. The three-piece version is also amazing.

Definitely one of the best razors Gillette ever made. Good find.
Thanks for the details. Much appreciated.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are my current Alpha Big Dog razors (with Honorable Mentions):

Alpha Big Dog Razors:
  • Overall #1: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB Plate, GTx or Ti Handle

• AC Blade: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB Plate, GTx or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTx or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Colonial Razors The General V2, GTx or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Above The Tie X1 Slant, Ti Handle
  • DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird, GTx or Ti Handle
  • DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England), GTx or Ti Handle
  • DE (Vintage - Honorable Mention): Gillette Pre-War Tech (Canada), GTx or Ti Handle
  • DE Adjustable (Current): Rocnel Sailor 2022L
  • DE Adjustable (Vintage): Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable
  • DE (Vintage - TTO) Gillette Red Tip (England)
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2, GTx or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM Feather Weight Deluxe
  • GEM (Vintage - Honorable Mention): GEM MMOC/BMMOC
  • SE using a DE Blade (Vintage): Jones Shake-Sharp v1
  • SE using a DE Blade (Vintage - Honorable Mention): Jones Shake-Sharp v2
The Current DE rankings will be fleshed out as soon as I receive the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB and Lambda Razors Athena razors which are currently in route. :)

Lots more razors and information in my Journal:

Thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Top Bottom