What's new

Favorite DE safety razor of all time?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The Ming Shi 2000S is my favourite. I normally use it as a finisher after a SR shave and never get any skin damage.

IMG_20200811_081904.jpg

I started using it blade-less. Now I use it with a DE blade that I have bread-knifed on a 400k Chinese synthetic whetstone. One day, when I get the courage, I might even try it with a proper DE blade.

Welp not knowin' what you be usin' now ain't no help.:001_smile

OC's, CC's, etc.? If you be looking for vintage, I reckon a Tech, Slim, or a Super Speed would be a right fine choice.

If you you are looking for one of them there machined out, shiny as the front end of a new '49 Ford, well I be no help there. Just don't care to lay that kinda greenbacks down.

Good luck on your search! :001_smile

My favorite is a fairly recent acquisition of mine and my first Stainless Steel machined razor, the Razorock Lupo. I started with the .58SB which was soon after followed by the .72SB and .95SB. I still haven't decided which I prefer but I get great shaves from all of them. I must add that one of the main reasons I love the Lupo so much is that upon pairing the head with the RR Slim Bar handle the whole razor balance just became perfect (for me). The Lupo head is an F1 car among razors. Small light and maneuverable, but most of the RR handles bog it down and make it feel like it's all handle. The Thin Bar handle gives it a balance that feels so natural, perfect and confidence inspiring. I know other people may prefer longer thicker heavier handles but you asked for opinions and this is mine. It is such a smooth shaver with perfect balance made of Stainless Steel so you don't have to worry about bits breaking off. I have many razors but this is the first to really blow my hair back and with a #1 guard buzz cut that is saying something.

Lupo.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Karve brass Overlander. Load up a fresh Nacet, tilt it somewhere between shallow and neutral, and get rewarded in excess of the attention granted and effort made. Had I been smarter, my favorite DE of all time would have been the Karve aluminum Overlander.

I hadn't considered this question until now. I've just over a year DE shaving and have acquired a small collection. I reach for my Roman Empire Augustus more than anything. It is a tech clone that I put on a plastic handle. Always close always smooth and now I know it's my favorite

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I really enjoy the Razorock lupo.72, made of 316L SS , well thought out with excellent machining and finish QC + a very nice mid range razor.
I also enjoy the Razorock Game changer.84 316L SS with a Kai SS blade in it, very smooth razor and a nice tame mid range. I have other very enjoyable DE razors because I have a big rotation of razors I have bought over the last 6 years.

I have a drawer full of razors but reach for my pre-war Fat Handled Tech more than anything. It gives a great shave that is just about effortless. I have a Weber Bulldog ARC that I love but they probably quit making them a decade ago.

Hey, I have a Weber ARC with their Bulldog handle as well. It is definitely one of my favorites too. They're hardly mentioned around here these days for understandable reasons. Good to see it pop up again.

Can't tell if you are wanting suggestions for a razor or whether you are really just asking people what their favorite razor is. If the latter, it might help to know how long the person has been shaving with DEs, and how many (approximately) they have tried.

I have been shaving with DEs since 2009 and if I had to guess, I'd say I have probably tried between 60 and 70 of them, maybe more.

Favorite is tough, because it changes from time to time. I'm sure I am as subject to decency bias as the next guy, too; that is to say, I am likely to overvalue razors I have been using lately and undervalue ones I enjoyed in the past. Having said that, my tao current favorites are the Lupo 0.58 and one of the six configurations achievable with the Occam's DE (l bought it second-hand, so I honestly don't know which one it is).

I have been contemplating doing a head-to-head shave-off of the two, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m on my phone but I’ll try.

Top Bottom