What's new

Favorite DE safety razor of all time?

Isn't that the ill-fated Janus Toggle?
One of the 5 prototypes. Every time I use it I recall the old saying: "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

ps. Eric has 4 designs ready for V2, nonadjustable and adjustable with toggle and without toggle. He needs a manufacturing partner. I've been trying to get him to make more of the prototype since they are just about perfect, but he has moved on to more cost effective designs. Ok, I admit I am glad he isn't making more. :)

Last edited:
I gotta go with the Karve Overlander. Simply the best shaves of my life. I have at least a dozen razors and probably could sell all but the Karve and never look back.

While I rotate through 5 outstanding vintage Gillette's, the one I reach for - especially after a few days off - or for special/important occasions - is the Big Fellow: New Improved (circa 1920's)

Attachments

• $bigfellow1.jpg
    $bigfellow1.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I guess my absolute favourite changes from time to time, but the Ikon B1 Standard is always in my rotation. It's not too aggressive, but more effective than most DE razors (including the medium aggressive R41 and Wunderbar). It's also very smooth to use and invariably gives me a BBS shave. If it looked nicer I'd like it even more, but the black coating doesn't do it any favours (and makes it nearly impossible to photograph).

ikon-b1-standard-head-bottom.png

Ok, I want to buy a new razor, let me have it...
What is your favorite DE safety razor of all time?
Ok, I want to buy a new razor, let me have it...
What is your favorite DE safety razor of all time?
I always go back to my Merkur Futur. I love the weight and the adjustability really isn’t a factor because I never change it anyway. I also love the Merkur slant. It’s between those two. I have a few others: Mühle, Edwin Jagger, Merkur and a straight razor but the Futur is my favorite.

Karve Overlander brass

I keep trying other razors and enjoy at least some of the for various reasons. But, the Karve Overlander in brass is my GOAT. I even bought it in stainless steel, which is a very close second for me. Brass seems to feel better on my skin.

It's a two-piece version of the Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) New. There are at least two of them, so I'm not sure, but it mai be what is called a #77. Fantastic s aver, to be sure. The three-piece version is also amazing.

Definitely one of the best razors Gillette ever made. Good find.

Totally agree with you, sir ! I've never tried the #77 but the 3 piece #44 is my favourite razor. Since you own the two versions, i have a question for you, just by pure curiosity :

- have you notice any difference between them in term of efficiency, smoothness on the skin & closeness of the shave ? 🤔

Totally agree with you, sir ! I've never tried the #77 but the 3 piece #44 is my favourite razor. Since you own the two versions, i have a question for you, just by pure curiosity :

- have you notice any difference between them in term of efficiency, smoothness on the skin & closeness of the shave ?
Sorry if there was any confusion. I have never tried the two-piece version.

I believe the heads are identical. If that is true, then differences, if any, should be related to overall weight.

I'll add this as a top favorite of mine too

The 1920 Old Type Big Fellow. Super efficient but not uncomfortable especially with a twist back for adjustability. Careful it can bite with a twist back. Very agile to get in every tight place. Nicely knurled handle at a perfect length and diameter. The peak of the old type and IMO absolutely wasn't improved on with the new improved

full

- have you notice any difference between them in term of efficiency, smoothness on the skin & closeness of the shave ? 🤔

I can help you with that, as I have both.

I find the two piece to have a perceptible edge over the three piece in all of those areas for me. I think maybe because of the additional weight (59g vs 48g) and/or balance. Although the cap geometries are slightly different as well.

Standard: 3one6 (although 34C a close second) but I suspect there are better so just bought Meta4 and might try AS-D2.
Since writing this my ebay Meta4 arrived and I have had a few shaves with a Lord Super Stainless blade and wow what a great razor feels amazing - nice and close but still mild and no irritation or cuts so far. As a bonus it's stainless steel, the end caps are covered and there's no clogging. I keep moving my arm to clear the razor under the tap then realise I don't need to! I'm so fickle but this is my new favourite in the standard category (unless there's a scalloped top category). Having said that a bank is giving me a signup incentive Amazon voucher worth enough to buy the AS-D2 so will probably still try that one but the Meta4 is going to be very hard to beat.

Top Bottom