What's new

A Manifesto: The Search for the Perfect Mild Razor

I bought the Blutt originally with the .67 plate since I stick with mild razors. After hearing people rave about the 1.20 I gave it a try and was shocked how smooth and comfortable it was! Might be my current favorite razor.
How does the .67 compare to any of Razorock's offerings in terms of efficiency?

@steffenapelz , could you write to Charcoal Goods and ask them to mill up a stainless Everyday head for your everyday use?
I actually emailed CG (again) less than a week ago regarding SS razors. Reply on Fri was: "sorry, just making brass now. No plans to offer other options."

How does the .67 compare to any of Razorock's offerings in terms of efficiency?

I have only used a GC 68 and Lupo 58 to compare it too and I would say more efficient than both, while being smoother. The Lupo was more efficient for me so would assume that is closer. (I also just like the Lupo more than GC in general). Eventually going to try out the aluminum Lupo and 72 as well, will see how it compares to those.

I have only used a GC 68 and Lupo 58 to compare it too and I would say more efficient than both, while being smoother. The Lupo was more efficient for me so would assume that is closer. (I also just like the Lupo more than GC in general). Eventually going to try out the aluminum Lupo and 72 as well, will see how it compares to those.
I have the GC 68 and Lupo 58 (and 72). The 58 is definitely a bit more efficient than the GC 68, though they shave quite different.

Which of the two would you say the Blutt is closer to as far as overall feel/shave goes (besides from efficiency)?

I have the GC 68 and Lupo 58 (and 72). The 58 is definitely a bit more efficient than the GC 68, though they shave quite different.

Which of the two would you say the Blutt is closer to as far as overall feel/shave goes (besides from efficiency)?
Definitely the Lupo! The head geometries are quite similar, at least to my eye (I'm no expert). The angles felt similar to me as well, both much different than the GC. Here's some photos of my Lupo vs Blutt (with 67 plate):

20221025_115138.jpg
20221025_115122.jpg

20221025_114905.jpg
20221025_115033.jpg

Definitely the Lupo! The head geometries are quite similar, at least to my eye (I'm no expert). The angles felt similar to me as well, both much different than the GC. Here's some photos of my Lupo vs Blutt (with 67 plate):

View attachment 1545638View attachment 1545640

View attachment 1545641View attachment 1545642
which are both similar to the WR1...but the Blutt shaves better for me than the WR1. I also have the Lupo in Al...pretty decent razor if you ask me...just feels very light and cheap.

@hagemajr Follow up: have you also tried the Blutt .86 plate?
If so, how different is it from the 67?
I have the .86 but have not shaved with it yet. Will give it a spin tonight and compare.

I was probably going through what you are right now trying to decide which plate to get. I bought it with the 67 and then ended up ordering the 86 and 120 before it even arrived. 😂 RAD is a horrible disease.

I heard so many positive things about the 120 I tried that first and was pleased with how smooth and safe it felt compared to what I expected from a gap that large listed as aggressive.

Will report back on the 86, might even do half with the 67 and half with the 86 to spice it up this evening.

I have the .86 but have not shaved with it yet. Will give it a spin tonight and compare.

I was probably going through what you are right now trying to decide which plate to get. I bought it with the 67 and then ended up ordering the 86 and 120 before it even arrived. 😂 RAD is a horrible disease.

I heard so many positive things about the 120 I tried that first and was pleased with how smooth and safe it felt compared to what I expected from a gap that large listed as aggressive.

Will report back on the 86, might even do half with the 67 and half with the 86 to spice it up this evening.
Yes, I was originally considering the 86, but if the 67 more efficient than the Lupo 58 I might reconsider.
Of course it also depends on the overall feel.

Very much look forward to your report before I pull the trigger 🙂

Yes, I was originally considering the 86, but if the 67 more efficient than the Lupo 58 I might reconsider.
Of course it also depends on the overall feel.

Very much look forward to your report before I pull the trigger 🙂
So sorry for the delay here! On call this week and yesterday was insanely busy, didn't even have time to shave.

Good news there is I had a two days growth for this test between the Blutt 067 and 086 plates. I used a new Wizamet on each half of my face. Lathered and shaved the right with 086 and then repeated the process on the left. Post shave feels identical to me, very little difference if any in how smooth it is and no complaints from either. Zero alum/splash feedback on either side as well. However I did notice a little bit of pulling from the 067, I have somewhat coarse hair but not super thick so I was a little surprised it struggled with the amount of growth I had. The 086 was smooth as could be and had no tugging or pulling at all.

Based on this experience I probably would say unless you plan to shave every single day, the 086 will be just as smooth/safe as the 067 and won't struggle as much with a little more growth.

20221026_202004.jpg

So sorry for the delay here! On call this week and yesterday was insanely busy, didn't even have time to shave.

Good news there is I had a two days growth for this test between the Blutt 067 and 086 plates. I used a new Wizamet on each half of my face. Lathered and shaved the right with 086 and then repeated the process on the left. Post shave feels identical to me, very little difference if any in how smooth it is and no complaints from either. Zero alum/splash feedback on either side as well. However I did notice a little bit of pulling from the 067, I have somewhat coarse hair but not super thick so I was a little surprised it struggled with the amount of growth I had. The 086 was smooth as could be and had no tugging or pulling at all.

Based on this experience I probably would say unless you plan to shave every single day, the 086 will be just as smooth/safe as the 067 and won't struggle as much with a little more growth.

View attachment 1546557
Since I am a daily shaver, you just saved me $100. I was debating buying the .86mm plate but it sounds like that isn't going to significantly improve anything for me...

I was glad to see this thread, @steffenapelz, because your prior comments about the Masamune caused me to give it a second chance at which point it became a favorite. These reviews are excellent!

I am just getting my technique down to where I can shave daily and avoid irritation. It seems mild razors are the only ones that achieve these results for me right now but I am still rotating in occasional aggressive razors. So far the Henson, Timeless Ti .68, Sabre, Masamune, Tech, and CG have been favorites.

As others have alluded to I think you should give a shot to some SE razors if you haven’t already. The Sabre is a top mild razor but bargain GEMs can be amazing too.

Haha. I don't really dabble in REALLY expensive vinyl. Lots of sellers out there who overrate their records and I am pretty careful these days. $50 is my personal max and THAT would have to be something I really must have for the sake of the collection...like certain 1960s Mono press from Kenny Burrell, Stanley Turrentine, Lee Morgan or Ahmad Jamal.
I'm an Ahmad Jamal fan, and afaik only one of his LPs, The Awakening, sells for (somewhat) big $$$. For the others, who are even bigger names, you're right, only certain pressings cost a lot. You can buy a lot of great jazz vinyl for the price of only one of the razors listed in the OP of this thread. Except for Miles, I suppose.

Top Bottom