What's new

A Manifesto: The Search for the Perfect Mild Razor

Still good deals.

I'm absolutely lost with the terminology of this forum. I've been shaving over a half a freakin' century and, much of the time, I have no idea of what you guys are talking about!
I’m lost with some of the terminology here as well. I especially consider the one that I got with the case a good deal considering they can easily go for at least double that. I’ll try to post a picture of the cased one later

The Henson AL13, the Overlander, the Drakkant, the Blutt1.20 and then Lambda Athena are all worthy of consideration. The Athena is hands down the most gorgeous of all razors.
I bought the Blutt originally with the .67 plate since I stick with mild razors. After hearing people rave about the 1.20 I gave it a try and was shocked how smooth and comfortable it was! Might be my current favorite razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bought the Blutt originally with the .67 plate since I stick with mild razors. After hearing people rave about the 1.20 I gave it a try and was shocked how smooth and comfortable it was! Might be my current favorite razor.
As of today, my two favorite razors are the ATT X1 AC Slant and the Blutt BR-1 with the 1.20 base plate. I also like the .86 base plate. My problem? The ATT X1 and the 24K Gold Plated Overlander are tied when I use the Blutt .86 base plate.... Do I really need the Overlander?

I should post this caveat: I've only been using DE razors for a couple months now. I have been using an Artist Club razor since Feb. 18th. I am only posting my own very limited experiences. <eg> evil grin

As of today, my two favorite razors are the ATT X1 AC Slant and the Blutt BR-1 with the 1.20 base plate. I also like the .86 base plate. My problem? The ATT X1 and the 24K Gold Plated Overlander are tied when I use the Blutt .86 base plate.... Do I really need the Overlander?

I should post this caveat: I've only been using DE razors for a couple months now. I have been using an Artist Club razor since Feb. 18th. I am only posting my own very limited experiences. <eg> evil grin
Which AC blades are you using in the ATT? I've only tried Feather Professional so far but am looking at some of the guarded blades to test out as well.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Which AC blades are you using in the ATT? I've only tried Feather Professional so far but am looking at some of the guarded blades to test out as well.
I've tried the Feather Prosofts (too much work to get good results), the Feather ProGuards, Kai Captain Titan Mild "Pink" Protouch MG guarded blades, Schick Proline P-30s (those don't work for me, unfortunately but others just love them), the Kai Captain Mild Pinks (unguarded version)... I have the Feather Professional and Pro Super blades but I haven't tried them yet.

My favorite so far are the Kai Captain Protouch MG guarded blades.... but the Feather ProGuard blades are a very close second. There doesn't appear to be much difference. I have quite a few packages of each. I just bought 10 packages of the Protouch blades from Amazon Japan.. at half the cost of US pricing. I have 7 packages of the Feather ProGuards, to give you an idea of how much I like them. I only have one each of the others since I sold the two packages of the Schick Proline P-30s.

Razors that I have had and have not worked for me (in no particular order):

- Yates 921M: Could not go shallow, felt a lot of drag at all angles and left my face irritated. Returned for refund.
- Karve CB SS B Plate: Shaved great, but gave me ingrowns after prolonged use.
- Henson mild: Shaved great, but also gave me ingrowns after prolonged use.
- Tatara Nodachi: As much drag as Masamune, but so much more aggressive that irritation followed. Sold it.
- Fatip Grande: Nice shave, but too much for my face. Sold.
- Fatip Gentile: Great shave, no irritation, but blade alignment is a PITA and if I got that wrong, I would cut myself. Still have it, but never use it.
- RR Lupo AL: Loved the shave, but ultimately, I don't like Al razors because they feel too light in my hand.
- RR GC 68 and 84: I liked the 68 better, but I ultimately never quite could get them to be as good as any of my other razors.
- Wolfman WR1 68SB: Didn't like the shave, didn't like the post-shave. Felt too aggressive. Sold it.
- H&S N075: Shave felt good, but gave me ingrowns similar to the Karve CB. Sold it.
- ATT M1: Same story as with Wolf WR1...couldn't get a comfy shave and post shave felt rough. Sold it.
- RR SLOC: Shaves awesome, but felt cheap and not special. Still have it, but never use it.
- RR Mamba 53/70: I liked both Mambas, but again...while they gave a good shave, I never quite got the post-shave to work for my tastes.

Razors that I have had and have not worked for me (in no particular order):

- Yates 921M: Could not go shallow, felt a lot of drag at all angles and left my face irritated. Returned for refund.
- Karve CB SS B Plate: Shaved great, but gave me ingrowns after prolonged use.
- Henson mild: Shaved great, but also gave me ingrowns after prolonged use.
- Tatara Nodachi: As much drag as Masamune, but so much more aggressive that irritation followed. Sold it.
- Fatip Grande: Nice shave, but too much for my face. Sold.
- Fatip Gentile: Great shave, no irritation, but blade alignment is a PITA and if I got that wrong, I would cut myself. Still have it, but never use it.
- RR Lupo AL: Loved the shave, but ultimately, I don't like Al razors because they feel too light in my hand.
- RR GC 68 and 84: I liked the 68 better, but I ultimately never quite could get them to be as good as any of my other razors.
- Wolfman WR1 68SB: Didn't like the shave, didn't like the post-shave. Felt too aggressive. Sold it.
- H&S N075: Shave felt good, but gave me ingrowns similar to the Karve CB. Sold it.
- ATT M1: Same story as with Wolf WR1...couldn't get a comfy shave and post shave felt rough. Sold it.
- RR SLOC: Shaves awesome, but felt cheap and not special. Still have it, but never use it.
- RR Mamba 53/70: I liked both Mambas, but again...while they gave a good shave, I never quite got the post-shave to work for my tastes.
the first half of the list, up to the Wolfman, reads very much like my journey. I have currently settled on the Overlander, and various vintage GEMs and injectors.

I’m using a pre-1958 flair tip super speed (taller head and no rattle) at the moment. Works well with a Polsilver SI for a single pass ATG. Recently got a flair tip rocket and love the minor increase in aggressiveness and efficiency so that will play a part in the rotation. A Fatboy at 3-4 is nice too.

Recently found 7 O’Clock yellows are the best easy to acquire blades for me in razors with a slightly more aggressive angle (Slim adjustable). Have a user grade Slim and Super adjustable to play with in the mail now.

Look at it this way. For the cost of one EX copy of Sonny Clark, Cool Struttin', you could buy 100 vintage razors.

Haha. I don't really dabble in REALLY expensive vinyl. Lots of sellers out there who overrate their records and I am pretty careful these days. $50 is my personal max and THAT would have to be something I really must have for the sake of the collection...like certain 1960s Mono press from Kenny Burrell, Stanley Turrentine, Lee Morgan or Ahmad Jamal.

Haha. I don't really dabble in REALLY expensive vinyl. Lots of sellers out there who overrate their records and I am pretty careful these days. $50 is my personal max and THAT would have to be something I really must have for the sake of the collection...like certain 1960s Mono press from Kenny Burrell, Stanley Turrentine, Lee Morgan or Ahmad Jamal.
Yeah I'm the same way. In fact, in most cases I'm perfectly happy with well-done reissues (MoFi debacle notwithstanding). The Tone Poets sound great (including the ones I have from S. Turrentine, Lee Morgan, and Kenny Burrell), and I love my Music Matters Cool Struttin'. (Oh well, wrong forum for this conversation.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom