What's new

What are the worst DE razor(s) you've ever tried and why?

Their entire lineup is weird, cheap looking, and designed to appeal to high school kids. The website is horrible to navigate, everything has an oddball goofy name, and the offerings are all over the place. To each their own but I am not a fan boy, but if I wanted a glow in the dark, plastic slant razor packaged in a cartoonish box with a goofy name, I know where to look 🤣😂😉

I also have both razors that the Dollar Tree sells. One is a three piece Tech clone and the other is a TTO. Both cost $1.25 each and came with five blades. I haven't tried the blades yet either because I've got so many better options available.

I agree that dollar tree’s three piece tech clone is an absolute piece of crap..Worst razor I ever tried by a wide margin..

On the other hand Dollar tree’s all metal butterfly TTO is a decent razor for a beginner who is thinking about DE shaving. My father used one for a year before he made the switch to a Muhle DE 89. He still has that razor in his collection..

Good thread. Some of these I've enjoyed, but many not. The ones I've had terrible experiences with:
Yaqi Katana--nope
QShave Parthenon (V1)--doors don't open except at adjustment 1, rough shaves every time
Muhle R41--I've never had a comfortable shave from that thing regardless of the blade. It feels like shaving with sandpaper

I haven't tried tons of DE razors but around 10-12 years ago, I bought the Edwin Jagger and, nicely balanced and good looking as it is, it just ain't for me. Hate it; too aggressive for me and I constantly nick myself with it.

Last edited:
PAA DOC. I think the “C” stands for crap. If I extrapolate the rest of the PAA model it might be, “Don’t Own Crap”. To go a bit further, as I’ve been known to be both vociferous and garrulous, as well as opinionated, “Phoenix Assumes Americans Don’t Own Crap”, but made this razor anyway and sold some of them. I can’t even PIF it without feeling guilty and my frugal nature prevents me from tossing it into a landfill. I’d rather take a beating than shave with it again. Hate to waste the soap and the time. If I could find better words to explain how much I hate it, I’d have to learn a new language. Maybe it would sound better in Italian or French. But my uneducated redneck English descriptions I’ve tried to use here keep getting redacted with ********

Curly Out
Not to derail the thread, but between my experiences with their products and hearing about the owner here on there on these forums, the owner would be better off ONLY sticking to soaps, maybe scents and keep his mouth shut.

I hesitate to mention this razor in a thread about "worst" razors, but truth is truth. I recently told my Dad that I had picked up wet shaving and asked him whether he had a razor to pass on to me when the time was right. He uses Harry's cartridge razors and had no DE (or SE) razors any more. I was a little heartbroken because I do remember seeing some sort of Gillette Adjustable razor in his bathroom when I was a little kid. He had moved on and threw those things away without a second thought many years ago.

Anyway, the punchline of this little story is that, without telling me, he decided to buy me a new DE razor and some blades as a gift. He bought me a Merkur 34C and a sampler pack of blades. The sampler had some pretty good stuff in it (Feather, Kai, Shark, Derby, Wilkinson, Dorco, others that I can't recall).

I've really wanted to love the Merkur 34C, but I've never really gotten a great shave with it. It is handsome enough, and I like the two-piece design. But, I have yet it to get it to shave efficiently. I have been told that it has a very narrow range of effective shaving angles, and I have only used it three times. I have so many great-shaving and interesting razors in my collection that I don't use the 34C that often. I will likely keep trying because, hey, my DAD gave it to me! I hope I figure it out so I can enjoy the 34C more going forward.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My first old type, and then another.... I found out the problem, the common denominator, if you will...

ME!

lol, after more use, I discovered that the maroon that was operating the idiot stick was rushing through the job, and not looking for the korreck ANGLE!

The man that shaves my face might be incredibly handsome, but he's not ALWAYS the brightest bulb in the room, even when he's alone.

My first old type, and then another.... I found out the problem, the common denominator, if you will...

ME!

lol, after more use, I discovered that the maroon that was operating the idiot stick was rushing through the job, and not looking for the korreck ANGLE!

The man that shaves my face might be incredibly handsome, but he's not ALWAYS the brightest bulb in the room, even when he's alone.
Those OLD types will bite you if you don't pay the proper attention. With care, they can give a great shave though.

I find it really funny that classics loved by so many people such as the R41, Rockwell 6S, Fatip, and so on, are listed multiple times here as "worst DE razors".

LOL

It this doesn't prove that YMMV, I don't know what does...
For sure!

I am so new to DE shaving I think I should keep my mouth shut about a razor being "bad" until I am more experienced. I found out the Slim I had (and since traded) may have had an alignment issue. The Fatboy I have now works pretty nicely. I cranked it up to 9 and it gave me a good shave this morning.

My mettle will be tested soon, as I have obtained the (in)famously aggressive R41 from another B&B member here. It will be interesting to see what happens.

PAA DOC. I think the “C” stands for crap. If I extrapolate the rest of the PAA model it might be, “Don’t Own Crap”. To go a bit further, as I’ve been known to be both vociferous and garrulous, as well as opinionated, “Phoenix Assumes Americans Don’t Own Crap”, but made this razor anyway and sold some of them. I can’t even PIF it without feeling guilty and my frugal nature prevents me from tossing it into a landfill. I’d rather take a beating than shave with it again. Hate to waste the soap and the time. If I could find better words to explain how much I hate it, I’d have to learn a new language. Maybe it would sound better in Italian or French. But my uneducated redneck English descriptions I’ve tried to use here keep getting redacted with ********

Curly Out
You could say, more politely,
'non mi piace,' or, more bluntly,
'odio.'

Just a couple of ways to say you don't like it in Italian. 🙂

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Paying $400 in little increments (several razors) is less noticeable than paying $400 in one shot (Wolfman).
We've been doing it right my friend🤣
You are absolutely korreck my friend.

What IS it about the human brane that can easily justify wasting money on 20, $20 purchases, but can't possibly justify the purchase of 1, $400+ item...... all of which, all 21, do the same thing?

I know that my weakness is OLD STUFF, so I rationalize those purchases easily. I need help, obviously.

Top Bottom