What's new

What's my upgrade path?

I know that frustration, especially when it's supposed to arrive on a Friday and pushed to "Saturday" aka Monday.

Sorry to hear that.
It’s all good. It bought me an extra shave with my Lupo Aluminum before the .95SB gets here 👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾.

I feel like I’m supposed to prefer the more expensive stainless steel Lupos but man, the Aluminum one just puts a smile on my face each time I pick it up.

It’s all good. It bought me an extra shave with my Lupo Aluminum before the .95SB gets here 👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾.

I feel like I’m supposed to prefer the more expensive stainless steel Lupos but man, the Aluminum one just puts a smile on my face each time I pick it up.
Yeah I hear that a bit for some reason. Not sure why some prefer SS and other Al. Personal preference but I like the weight, it reminds me not to push and let the razor do the work.

One thing I've observed as I've phased the Merkur out and progressigely shave more frequently.

Some may consider this a mild razor by comparitve standards (what they've tried so far) but this is not a mild razor anymore to me. Maybe it's head vs face? I know many factors, like blades, technique, different people, etc.. but I'd say this sits as of right now in the lower-medium category. Once I go to daily my opinion may sway more but I also don't need it daily. Every 2 days seems to be the sweet spot.

Today was my 2 day run and midway had some slight irritation that oddly went away as I went on and hasn't returned.

Yeah I hear that a bit for some reason. Not sure why some prefer SS and other Al. Personal preference but I like the weight, it reminds me not to push and let the razor do the work.

One thing I've observed as I've phased the Merkur out and progressigely shave more frequently.

Some may consider this a mild razor by comparitve standards (what they've tried so far) but this is not a mild razor anymore to me. Maybe it's head vs face? I know many factors, like blades, technique, different people, etc.. but I'd say this sits as of right now in the lower-medium category. Once I go to daily my opinion may sway more but I also don't need it daily. Every 2 days seems to be the sweet spot.

Today was my 2 day run and midway had some slight irritation that oddly went away as I went on and hasn't returned.
If you have the $40 to spare I 100% would recommend the Lupo Aluminum. I also prefer heavier razors to let the weight do most of the work, so I wasn't expecting to like the Lupo Aluminum at all but its amazing. Its pretty efficient and with a bit of blade feel but the lightness of it makes it feel safer. You can easily scale up or down the aggressiveness by adding pressure, and it's actually pretty intuitive. I've gotten respectively close shaves with zero irritation every time I've used it. Worth mentioning that I use DE razors exclusively for head shaves; I use shavettes for my neck and beard.

If you have the $40 to spare I 100% would recommend the Lupo Aluminum. I also prefer heavier razors to let the weight do most of the work, so I wasn't expecting to like the Lupo Aluminum at all but its amazing. Its pretty efficient and with a bit of blade feel but the lightness of it makes it feel safer. You can easily scale up or down the aggressiveness by adding pressure, and it's actually pretty intuitive. I've gotten respectively close shaves with zero irritation every time I've used it. Worth mentioning that I use DE razors exclusively for head shaves; I use shavettes for my neck and beard.
It may be worth considering down the line. Just got this one and if I do get a base I'll have less $. That said, my control is good, not great and don't want to get in the habit of using pressure. I've got Gorilla strength, either gentle or full force, why I'm also not first choice to take thing apart in life. I'll get them apart, probably just not in 1 piece. I don't have the finesse

This is an initial impression because I did have my hair just a tad longer than what I've shaved with the 72. A shave in-between and it would have been too short to use as the Lupo 95 OC arrived.

Anyway. Initial Impression.....
Long lost technology from an Alien Civilization.
It immediately felt less "dangerous". Nice audible and slight tactile feedback. Single pass was in most areas a marble floor covered in water, smooth to an injury**. It got may of the spots I was having issues with before with the other two razors but not all which means I have the perfect tool to get my technique right. I did notice a saw 2 or 3 whimpers after I got out of the shower but didn't feel them. That said, I can conclusively agree, the Lupo 95 is 100% less aggressive and at least 25-45% more efficient.

If there is a new benchmark for a Head BBS, this is it. I LOVE this razor.

**An injury I almost sustained lol. So slick my scalp slipped from my fingers and I though oh shhh... it bit me. Nope. Phew.

Stage 1 is complete.
Have my God-tier Razor.

Now to upgrade shaving medium. I realized despite the Gel I use working well and seeming cheap upfront, it does require a fair amount during each session.

What are some good soaps available in the US on Amazon? I found a list here somewhere with lather, glide, etc properties but none of the good ones are sold here

"What the hell am I looking at?"
mel brooks GIF

Are these all from the same company under different subbrands or an outlet of different brands?

More importantly, (while I of course thank you for the link), I'm looking for a solid suggestion on a few brands and worry about scent later. If I try 1 or 2 brands, I can always look up "Similar soaps to 'xyz'"

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
mel brooks GIF

Are these all from the same company under different subbrands or an outlet of different brands?

More importantly, (while I of course thank you for the link), I'm looking for a solid suggestion on a few brands and worry about scent later. If I try 1 or 2 brands, I can always look up "Similar soaps to 'xyz'"
If you come to a place where you want to try unscented soaps, I have a few good-for-me suggestions.

mel brooks GIF

I'm looking for a solid suggestion on a few brands
All trusted online venders.

Hang out in the soap forum, but after hitting triple digits a couple times look at
Abbate Y La Mantia
A&E
B&M
Dr. Selby
D.R.Harris
Fine
Mike's
Saponificio Varesino
Stirling
Wholly Kaw

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have no preference at this time as I've never tried any so im open for suggestions. 😁
I have quite a few unscented soaps and creams... I won't list them all but I find these amazing. You can google places to make the purchases.

1. Baume.be unscented cream.... their pre-shave is also excellent if you use one.
2. Mike's Unscented soap
3. Stirling Unscented with Beeswax

I used Canada Shaving Soap for around 80% of my shaves this past 2.5 years.. one container. The only problem is availability.... I'm not sure where you are located. You probably posted it but I can't seem to recall... If you are in the States and have Amazon Prime, that is the best way to obtain it... It comes in and out of stock. The shipping is free that way. If you buy it from their Canada website, the shipping is around or was around $15 last time I checked.

I watch for Canada Shaving Soap to come back in stock on Amazon and have added a couple backups.

I'm finishing up an almost empty tub of Baume.be. It whips up into a very luxurious lather easily, as it's a cream. I bowl lather, so that's a factor for you. I'm sure it will work well for face lathering as well. I don't dip my shaving brushes into containers so as not to contaminate them, but that's a personal thing. I scoop or scrape the soap/cream/croaps into a shaving bowl and make my lather that way. You'll see many people here who face lather. It's the most simple method but I have skin issues and can't take that much brush contact. That's why I bowl lather and also why I use unscented soaps... skin issues.

Soaps are _very_ subjective. Complicated by "My wife really likes the smell of X, but I don't."

I have simple tastes. Tabac works. Mitchell Wool Fat works. I used Proraso White (sensitive skin) for a while, but Tabac and MWF worked better for me. If you have hard water, you might have to search for something that works well.

You might read up on "uberlather" -- lather fortified with additional slippery ingredients (e.g. glycerin). I've tried adding TreSemme "Silky Smooth" hair conditioner to lather. It's slicker, but not worth the extra trouble. OTOH, I use mild razors.

You can spend a _lot_ of money, finding the just-right shaving soap.<g>

. Charles

EDIT -- Taylor of Bond Street (TOBS) is another name to consider.

Last edited:
I just feel very in over my head after seeing charts discussing aspects like lather, smoothness, irritation, etc..

I'll try some of the brands you guys suggested. Love my gel I have now but I think soap will be cheaper in the long run

In the name of science, I've offered my body to the shaving Deities.

I noticed that a mole on my neck and side of my head were suddenly non-existent, just a slightly raised shadow.

Sooo I assumed it was the Razor and tested it on a different one on my neck.

Yup, if you have moles on your head or neck, the Lupo 95 (probably 72 also) will remove those. While I'm waiting for my neck to stop bleeding, thought I'd share that tip should anyone be wondering about imperfections.

Top Bottom