What's new

4 razors and one question - which one is the ''best''?

Without knowing how you shave and never having placed a Kai blade in a Micromatic, I cannot guarantee whether your self butchery will result in a close, comfortable shave or your untimely demise.

Do you have access to Personna, Pal, or Accutec GEM blades? I have a better feeling about them.

I only use the Personna GEM PTFE blades and they are ok, but nothing impressive.

What i'm looking for is a very efficient, but also very comfortable and not harsh closed combed with a smooth guard razor . .
"Very efficient" and "very comfortable" usually trade-off, one for the other. That makes it very difficult to recommend a "best choice".

The trade-off isn't dependent on price; it's a design problem that's the same with Zamak as with brass, as with SS. You can CNC-machine all you want:

. . . If you have a large blade gap for efficiency, it's easier to cut yourself than with a small gap.

If there were universal magic, every maker would use it.

. Charles

PS -- it happens that every razor you list (except the Green Cult), is more expensive than anything I own. So I may be completely out to lunch, on this.

Last edited:
I have Karve, several gaps of both Wolfman head designs and a Brass'Bird. I could easily declare any one of them to be the only. If I was serious about owning only one, which I'm not, it would be my WR1 .86 DC in SS. If you're looking to maintain smooth with efficiency, my experience is that Wolfman does this very well. Whatever you end up choosing, I'd get on the list. No money up front and you can pass on buying in the end, but a 5 or 6 month wait.

Most folks claim that the Tatara razors are very comfortable, but not very efficient and i'm looking for something crazy efficient yet very smooth.

Now just who says that? I use the Nodachi cap and Masamune solid base combination. Neutral blade and 0.63 mm gap. Works great and no cuts. BBS shave with 3 passes, WTG, XTG, and ATG. Lasts for 15-18 hours until about like a 2 pass shave. Efficient for me and very smooth with a good blade, of course. I like smaller gaps, but you could use the full Nodachi base with a 0.90 mm gap. Use a Nodachi cap and you will have a rather aggressive razor with a 0.13 mm positive blade exposure. Not sure how much more efficient you want, but that would do it.

When I use the Masamune original, it has a negative 0.13 mm blade exposure, but I can still get really nice 3 pass BBS autopilot shaves. Might take a little additional buffing in places. The blade clamping and alignment is the best I’ve seen, and the blades are held in place ripple free. No ripples or blade bending along the length makes for a very smooth shave. You should consider the Tatara offerings.

I've not tried any of the ones you have listed, but if you're considering a Blackland, I highly recommend the Tradere. I've been using the original for very close to 10 years now, and it's still the best razor I've tried.

Out of your list I have or had the Blackbird, Overlander, and Green Cult (sold this one). Wish I could say I have a Wolfman, but not in the cards.

The Blackbird is more efficient than the Overlander but not quite as smooth.....more blade feel as well. The Overlander is a great razor that shaves smooth and has good efficiency. It has less blade feel compared to the Blackbird but not quite as efficient. The Green Cult was not a daily razor for me....bit more aggressive than I wanted. I didn't find it any more efficient than the Blackbird, just less comfortable. Nice razor for the money though if it suits you. The Blackbird seems to be more of what you describe wanting in my opinion. It's a great performing (and looking) razor.

Now for me, the Yates 921-H is my favorite daily razor. Super smooth and has efficiency very similar to the Blackbird. It bends the blade more than the others and works well with a steeper angle (though so do the other razors). Maybe give the Yates a look as well.

Yates
Blackbird
Overlander
Henson Ti22 medium
Nodachi

These are my top performers when it comes to comfort, efficiency, and overall performance.

Out of your list I have or had the Blackbird, Overlander, and Green Cult (sold this one). Wish I could say I have a Wolfman, but not in the cards.

The Blackbird is more efficient than the Overlander but not quite as smooth.....more blade feel as well. The Overlander is a great razor that shaves smooth and has good efficiency. It has less blade feel compared to the Blackbird but not quite as efficient. The Green Cult was not a daily razor for me....bit more aggressive than I wanted. I didn't find it any more efficient than the Blackbird, just less comfortable. Nice razor for the money though if it suits you. The Blackbird seems to be more of what you describe wanting in my opinion. It's a great performing (and looking) razor.

Now for me, the Yates 921-H is my favorite daily razor. Super smooth and has efficiency very similar to the Blackbird. It bends the blade more than the others and works well with a steeper angle (though so do the other razors). Maybe give the Yates a look as well.

Yates
Blackbird
Overlander
Henson Ti22 medium
Nodachi

These are my top performers when it comes to comfort, efficiency, and overall performance.

Thank you for the detail information about the razors. I've been talking to some folks who also own most of the razors in my list and the majority of them agree that the Blackbird is the one for me.

R

romsitsa

Most folks claim that the Tatara razors are very comfortable, but not very efficient and i'm looking for something crazy efficient yet very smooth.

Aren't those two kinda hard to find and expensive on top of that too? I love vintage razors, but so far very few of them can make me use them all the time without using any of my modern razors.

Not the easiest to find, but far from unicorn status. Expensive? No (compared to a Wolfman or BB) yes (compared to any generic vintage razor).

Yates
Blackbird
Overlander
Henson Ti22 medium
Nodachi

921H, nodachi and blackbird have a similar level of stimulation ?

Can only speak to the Blackbird SS and the Karve Overlander. Yes the Blackbird is a little more efficient than the Overlander but at the expense of comfort. IMO, love the aesthetics of the BB but fit and finish is not up to the Karve. Hoping Karve brings out a stainless version.

Two razors not on your list worth considering are the Charcoal Goods Lvl2 Gen3 and as mentioned the Yates 921-H. The CG is very close to BB efficiency with the smoothness of the Overlander.

Of the razors listed I find the Blackbird the least smooth/comfortable.

Can only speak to the Blackbird SS and the Karve Overlander. Yes the Blackbird is a little more efficient than the Overlander but at the expense of comfort. IMO, love the aesthetics of the BB but fit and finish is not up to the Karve. Hoping Karve brings out a stainless version.

Two razors not on your list worth considering are the Charcoal Goods Lvl2 Gen3 and as mentioned the Yates 921-H. The CG is very close to BB efficiency with the smoothness of the Overlander.

YATES921H is also like BB?In terms of efficiency

Hoping Karve brings out a stainless version.
I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything that guy says!! Almost 3yrs ago he teased quite a few people and even gave out discount coupons for a Titanium version of his initial razor after the failed effort on the polished Stainless version and to this day there has only been "1" Titanium razor produced!!

Some folks complain that the CG razors in generalhave slight blade chatter and to be honest, they don't seem any better made than the Karve razors, which is why I decided to stay away from that brand.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything that guy says!! Almost 3yrs ago he teased quite a few people and even gave out discount coupons for a Titanium version of his initial razor after the failed effort on the polished Stainless version and to this day there has only been "1" Titanium razor produced!!
Learned long ago not to prepay, so won’t be out any money just shattered dreams🤣

Some folks complain that the CG razors in generalhave slight blade chatter and to be honest, they don't seem any better made than the Karve razors, which is why I decided to stay away from that brand.
Have you tried the newest generation of CG’s? From what I read the geometry has been changed to make them more efficient (better blade clamping) and very smooth. Many of the folks who have earlier generation CG’s have commented how much smoother the new razors are. Personally, I can only speak to the Lvl2, could easily be a daily driver for me.

I agree the Blackbird is the one to get from those options. It will infallibly give you super-close shaves. It is the third best razor Blackland makes, which is high praise.

Top Bottom