What's new

4 razors and one question - which one is the ''best''?

I'm planning to get at lest one of the following razors in the foreseeable future, since i'm ''almost'' done with my vintage collection and I want to own at least one flashy modern razor, but i'm a bit torn up and I don't know which one to pick. I've decided to part with most of my vintage blades and with a bit of luck, I might be able to trade them for a razor or two.

What i'm looking for is a very efficient, but also very comfortable and not harsh closed combed with a smooth guard razor that holds the blade perfectly tight and works great with a steep angle. I'm a fan of the slim and nimble profile razors, since I have trouble shaving under my nose and not all razors in my collection can do that very easy.

The razors that I feel like are going to (sorta) fill my description are:

Wolfman WR2 with blade gap from 1.25 to 1.65
Blackland Blackbird
Karve Overlander
Greencult razor

Well, I've had the Karve razors and liked them and currently have the GreenCult which I really like. Maybe consider the Tatara Masamune OCs. Very comfortable, efficient and easily maneuvered.

Well, I've had the Karve razors and liked them and currently have the GreenCult which I really like. Maybe consider the Tatara Masamune OCs. Very comfortable, efficient and easily maneuvered.

Most folks claim that the Tatara razors are very comfortable, but not very efficient and i'm looking for something crazy efficient yet very smooth.

Forget steep angle and Barbasol or LeCoq.

Aren't those two kinda hard to find and expensive on top of that too? I love vintage razors, but so far very few of them can make me use them all the time without using any of my modern razors.

Most folks claim that the Tatara razors are very comfortable, but not very efficient and i'm looking for something crazy efficient yet very smooth.

Aren't those two kinda hard to find and expensive on top of that too? I love vintage razors, but so far very few of them can make me use them all the time without using any of my modern razors.
Well, I have the Masamune OC and it is efficient. Perhaps the Solid Bars aren't quite as effective, which I have heard as well.

Well, I have the Masamune OC and it is efficient. Perhaps the Solid Bars aren't quite as effective, which I have heard as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the modern open comb razors, because the teeth on most of them look very prickly and uncomfortable to me and I also don't buy the whole thing that open combs are more efficient, unless the gap and the blade exposure are different. No open comb can match the smoothness of a straight bar even if it's slightly more efficient.

I'm not a huge fan of the modern open comb razors, because the teeth on most of them look very prickly and uncomfortable to me and I also don't buy the whole thing that open combs are more efficient, unless the gap and the blade exposure are different. No open comb can match the smoothness of a straight bar even if it's slightly more efficient.
Ok. Not trying to convince you, just letting you know what I have found. The teeth are not prickly but more representative of the older Gillette "New" style. Stick with SB because it sounds like that's your "Go-To" style of razor.

My main concern with open comb razors is a bit dumb but here goes. I’m scared of dropping the dang thing. I say this because I never drop my razor... except for one time. Well not exactly. I remember thinking how can you drop a razor while shaving and I dropped my timeless brass 2 times in a row. Dropped it. Picked it up and dropped it again. If it was an open comb, I would have cried for sure.

Reactions: Kix
Ok. Not trying to convince you, just letting you know what I have found. The teeth are not prickly but more representative of the older Gillette "New" style. Stick with SB because it sounds like that's your "Go-To" style of razor.

I know and I understand that you're trying to explain whatever works for you best and there's nothing wrong about it. I have a huge collection of vintage Gillette NEW models and the only ones that i'm missing are the Goodwills. The thing is that I never felt or understood the benefit of the open comb. They might be a bit more efficient, but that efficiency comes with the cost of comfort and smoothness.

I'm just looking for the ''best'' autopilot razor possible that combines crazy efficiency and crazy smoothness at the same time. I have tons of razors in between those requirements and they ain't very expensive, but if I pay $150 or more, I want the razor to be '' the one''.

My main concern with open comb razors is a bit dumb but here goes. I’m scared of dropping the dang thing. I say this because I never drop my razor... except for one time. Well not exactly. I remember thinking how can you drop a razor while shaving and I dropped my timeless brass 2 times in a row. Dropped it. Picked it up and dropped it again. If it was an open comb, I would have cried for sure.

Then you should stay away from the Charcoal Goods razors, because i've seen plenty of them with bent and dented teeth.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
GEM Micromatic Open Comb. Kid tested, mother approved. If you like a particular angle, it will shave with it. If you don’t like a certain angle, it shaves with that, too.

GEM Micromatic Open Comb. Kid tested, mother approved. If you like a particular angle, it will shave with it. If you don’t like a certain angle, it shaves with that, too.

I have two MMOC, but how do you fit KAI blades in it? I assume you're talking about AC and now DE blades?

thombrogan

I have two MMOC

Search ended! Victory achieved!

AC and DE would not be recommended. Some of the smarter people — not me! — use Injector-style blades. If you have the aluminum-backed spine of a GEM-style blade, you could place it on the back of one of these Kai blades (available in 0.15mm and 0.25mm):

1649020192999.jpeg

Search ended! Victory achieved!

AC and DE would not be recommended. Some of the smarter people — not me! — use Injector-style blades. If you have the aluminum-backed spine of a GEM-style blade, you could place it on the back of one of these Kai blades (available in 0.15mm and 0.25mm):

View attachment 1433963

Are you sure this is going to work or i'm probably going to butcher myself to death :D.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have the Windsor Pro SB90 and it's a decent razor, but it has a noticable blade chatter and I wasn't blown away by it.
I have heard the Windsor clamps better than the Pro, but I have never tried the Pro.

thombrogan

Are you sure this is going to work or i'm probably going to butcher myself to death :D.

Without knowing how you shave and never having placed a Kai blade in a Micromatic, I cannot guarantee whether your self butchery will result in a close, comfortable shave or your untimely demise.

Do you have access to Personna, Pal, or Accutec GEM blades? I have a better feeling about them.

Really, though, Micromatic or not, the only way to have a razor that’s “The One” is to stop using other razors. I admire people who do that. I’m not doing it yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom