What's new

4 razors and one question - which one is the ''best''?

Out of curiosity, which two surpass it?
The Tradere OC is number one (must be the OC because that is the Gen 1 Tradere design, the SB version is the milder Gen 2) and the Vector is number two.

But those are pretty much the best non-adjustable razors I think you can buy. Only the Rocnel Sailor matches them, to my mind.

The Blackbird is still one of the best efficient razors you can get. It’s just that the Tradere OC shaves just as close and the Blackbird has a rougher face feel.

Last edited:
Some folks complain that the CG razors in generalhave slight blade chatter and to be honest, they don't seem any better made than the Karve razors, which is why I decided to stay away from that brand.
This isn't true for the latest and current generation CG. Some owners have compared it favorably to their Wolfman.

Having said that, you should also consider the Razorock Lupo .95 on your list.

This isn't true for the latest and current generation CG. Some owners have compared it favorably to their Wolfman.

Having said that, you should also consider the Razorock Lupo .95 on your list.

I have the Lupo DC, which is kinda the same. For whatever reason, the CG razors seem very dodgy and just a bit more shiny and also more expensive Karve razors. I've talked to a couple of folks who own the latest generations, and they find them very good, but nothing mind blowing, especially for the price.

I have the Lupo DC, which is kinda the same. For whatever reason, the CG razors seem very dodgy and just a bit more shiny and also more expensive Karve razors. I've talked to a couple of folks who own the latest generations, and they find them very good, but nothing mind blowing, especially for the price.
Dodgy? In which way?

The same could be said with Karve's history. I'm not one to insert myself with drama or politics, especially with razor makers. I'm here to shave and try different offerings, like many on here.

At the end of the day, the products speak for themselves.

For what it's worth, I have owned some CG razors, and currently have a Karve Overlander.

Dodgy? In which way?

The same could be said with Karve's history. I'm not one to insert myself with drama or politics, especially with razor makers. I'm here to shave and try different offerings, like many on here.

At the end of the day, the products speak for themselves.

For what it's worth, I have owned some CG razors, and currently have a Karve Overlander.

Dodgy in a way that the quality doesn't justifies the high prices and those are the words of some of the folks I know who own or used to own at least one CG razor. I have nothing personal agains the brand, but their razors are not my thing if that makes any sense and on top of that at that price point I would pick stainless over any bare brass razor.

Dodgy in a way that the quality doesn't justifies the high prices and those are the words of some of the folks I know who own or used to own at least one CG razor. I have nothing personal agains the brand, but their razors are not my thing if that makes any sense and on top of that at that price point I would pick stainless over any bare brass razor.
I do see your point, but you have to realize that the increased cost (aside from the design) is the polished finish, versus the sandblasted finish of say, the Karve.

I have nothing personal against both brands, they make good razors IMO.

However, if your outlook of value versus cost still stands, I would probably curb my enthusiasm at this point, because realistically does a $500 razor shave better than a $50 razor? In most cases I would lean towards 'No' as an answer; But then again it is up to the individual and his own reasons to justify if it is worth it or not.

Last edited:
You’ve done your homework well. Karve Overlander #1, and if you are ready to wait Wolfman.

Even with all the knowlede I have, I'm still shooting in the dark. I'm planning to trade some of my vintage blades and if someone agrees, thaht would make things even better. Otherwise, BST is my second choice.

Btw, any idea how much does the aluminium Overlander costs? It's always sold out on the main website.

Even with all the knowlede I have, I'm still shooting in the dark. I'm planning to trade some of my vintage blades and if someone agrees, thaht would make things even better. Otherwise, BST is my second choice.

Btw, any idea how much does the aluminium Overlander costs? It's always sold out on the main website.
Same price as the Brass I believe, a little less than $100 USD.

Same price as the Brass I believe, a little less than $100 USD.
Really? Are they insane? Who's going to pick an aluminum razor when he can buy one made out of brass for around the same price? I was expecting the price to be 50$-60$.

The Tradere OC is number one (must be the OC because that is the Gen 1 Tradere design, the SB version is the milder Gen 2) and the Vector is number two.

But those are pretty much the best non-adjustable razors I think you can buy. Only the Rocnel Sailor matches them, to my mind.

The Blackbird is still one of the best efficient razors you can get. It’s just that the Tradere OC shaves just as close and the Blackbird has a rougher face feel.

I have both original Traderes (my OC is gen 1), and I suspected/hoped you'd put that as the number 1, hehe. The Vector interests me greatly, though I may end up going with a RR Hawk instead, depending how much I feel like spending.

I have both original Traderes (my OC is gen 1), and I suspected/hoped you'd put that as the number 1, hehe. The Vector interests me greatly, though I may end up going with a RR Hawk instead, depending how much I feel like spending.
Wish I had an original Tradere. But I do think Shane improved the handle design and tidied up the knurling. It would be nice to compare the two Gen 1 Traderes and see if they really are identical.

Most of all, it is great that this great razor was resurrected, rather than just being an unobtainable rarity. I don’t know why it seems to attract less buzz than the Blackbird, but perhaps the style is polarizing, or maybe there is just a sense that the newer razor design is the thing to have. But, as I say, I think the Tradere is the best razor Blackland makes.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I only know two of these and the Greencult > Blackbird SB in efficiency. Not the OC, but I don't like the heavy cap riding I have to do with the Blackbird OC. I prefer the Timeless Slim OC to both, but it wasn't mentioned.

I would love to hear what you think of Wolfman once you got one, though!

I only know two of these and the Greencult > Blackbird SB in efficiency. Not the OC, but I don't like the heavy cap riding I have to do with the Blackbird OC. I prefer the Timeless Slim OC to both, but it wasn't mentioned.

I would love to hear what you think of Wolfman once you got one, though!

I'm still not sure what to pick and which one is going to be the best for me. I might try the Greencult first and see how it goes and then try something else. I want to own at least one premium razor that shaves better than anything I own, but finding the right one takes a lot of time and money.

Wish I had an original Tradere. But I do think Shane improved the handle design and tidied up the knurling. It would be nice to compare the two Gen 1 Traderes and see if they really are identical.

Most of all, it is great that this great razor was resurrected, rather than just being an unobtainable rarity. I don’t know why it seems to attract less buzz than the Blackbird, but perhaps the style is polarizing, or maybe there is just a sense that the newer razor design is the thing to have. But, as I say, I think the Tradere is the best razor Blackland makes.
You already pointed it out in an earlier post that the Tradere is a rougher shave vs the Blackbird....

Wolfman WR2 with blade gap from 1.25 to 1.65
Blackland Blackbird
Karve Overlander
Greencult razor
I only razor I don’t have from these is the Overlander. It doesn’t seem like it would be as efficient as the other 3 and that’s why I didn’t purchase one. Perhaps if Karve releases a more efficient version in the future I might bite. Of the 3, the Greencult is the best value with notably nice efficiency, the Wolfman has the best quality and most efficiency -especially with a 1.65 gap I’d imagine (I have a 1.55), and the Blackbird is somewhere in between the two.

Top Bottom