What's new

which razor, blades, soap, cream, brush etc has disappointed you the most?

‘Badger’ brand software, especially their soaps, proved disappointing. Found these is a local shop. Great name, so gave them a try. Definitely, would not recommend you do the same!

Reactions: saj
I've used Feather as well, but still I wasn't impressed. It's not only that the razor is mild, but the matt finish stainless steel glides very strange on my face and I don't like it. It feels like dragging. I like razors with a bit more blade feel and more efficiency that's all.
which razors do you like? just to give me an idea so i can relate to what you mean mate :)

which razors do you like? just to give me an idea so i can relate to what you mean mate :)

I still haven't found the perfect razor, but so far the best ones that i've used are - GC .84 p, Lupo DC/.95, Schick M adjustable. The GC is my perfect autopilot DE razor and I just wish it was slightly more efficient. The Lupo is much better in terms of efficiency compared to the GC, but it's slightly less smoother and the solid bar pattern feels a little bit rough. The Schick is fantastic. It combines the best of both worlds - very effitient and extremely easy to use like an autopilot razor.

I like razors with at least a slight blade feel or as most folks call them - with a positive blade exposure. I also find razors with slimer profiles to work much better in general compared to the razors with more bulky heads.

The 6S for me is too bulky, it doesn't glide very good, it's hard for me to shave under the nose and i'm not sure if it has a negative or a neutral blade exposure, but it feels very mild to me and for me the only ''usable'' plates were from 4 to 6.

I like razors that feel precise and extremely easy to use while feeling very comfortable and combined with a high amount of efficiency. Not many razors fit into that category although and while I can shave with pretty much any existing vintage and modern razor ever made, some are just a pure joy to shave with while others just feel like that I have to force them to shave and even if they get me a BBS, I just don't enjoy the trip. The end goal - getting a BBS is very important without a doubt, but the process of getting there is just as important.

yea very true, good point, like anything in life its a learning curve

thing that winds me up is that i dont know anyone else personally into wet shaving so unless i buy it myself theres no other way to try it

like if i had friends or family into it i could borrow and try things out but obviously i cant lol

Agreed, it would be great to know more local members and shavers.

Samples are a great way to sniff a bunch of soaps and scents at very reasonable prices.

Razor: Rockwell 6C. The chrome finish on the safety bar started flaking off and I had to return it. Rockwell gave me 100% credit towards a 6S. But I loved the 6C, it was light, and smooth on my face because of the chrome. The 6S is indestructible, but it's kind of clunky and heavy, and the matte finish is not as silky smooth. I only use it for travel.

Soap: Ariana and Evans St. Bart's. It smelled like heaven, but gave me instant (frag?) burn all over my face. I zapped it for 8 seconds in the microwave twice, which tamed it by evaporating the offending chemicals, but it also lost its wonderful scent.

Voskhod blades: Tried in multiple razors always tuggy and uncomfortable. Usually accompanied with skin irritation. Will pif someday at a meet.

Astra SP: Same as above. On the other hand the blue stainless steel Astras I highly rate.

Stephans 320 astringent: Smelled so bad I had to throw the whole bottle away. Rancid wine came to mind. It may have gone bad not sure.

Captains Choice Bay rum shave soap: I can't get a decent lather to save my life and I feel the scent is slightly off putting. I love bay rum aftershaves so I don't know. I'll probably pif this one someday also.

Merkur 1904 OC: Just to mild even if I did a 4 pass there will be cobwebs. I do like the aesthics of it.

Aqua Velva Musk: I love Aqua velva but this musk variation just stinks to me. I tried to like it but the scent makes me sick. Threw it out.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There are products such as Treet blades that I did not like but I did not have any expectations of them so was not disappointed. By far the biggest disappointment for me in shaving was a Paladin brush - undoubtedly a top quality item but the knot was very heavily gelled and was, for me, so unnatural, artificial, and slimy that was actually unpleasant to use. Many people love those types of knot, and not all Paladin knots are like that so perhaps the fault lies with me for not better researching the knot characteristics. Either way, I will never buy another Paladin or another gelled brush.

Voskhod blades: Tried in multiple razors always tuggy and uncomfortable. Usually accompanied with skin irritation. Will pif someday at a meet.

Astra SP: Same as above. On the other hand the blue stainless steel Astras I highly rate.

Stephans 320 astringent: Smelled so bad I had to throw the whole bottle away. Rancid wine came to mind. It may have gone bad not sure.

Captains Choice Bay rum shave soap: I can't get a decent lather to save my life and I feel the scent is slightly off putting. I love bay rum aftershaves so I don't know. I'll probably pif this one someday also.

Merkur 1904 OC: Just to mild even if I did a 4 pass there will be cobwebs. I do like the aesthics of it.

Aqua Velva Musk: I love Aqua velva but this musk variation just stinks to me. I tried to like it but the scent makes me sick. Threw it out.
Voskhid were a bit disappointment for me too, how did I forget to mention that lol🤦🤦🤦

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Voskhid were a bit disappointment for me too, how did I forget to mention that lol🤦🤦🤦
I quite like Voskhod blades but, without wishing to offend anyone who may be dyslexic, the best thing about them by far is the many imaginative ways in which the name Voskhod can be spelled. 🤣

Blade - Voskhod. No matter what razor and soap combo I use, these blades feel like I’m trying to sand the hair off my face.

Soap - Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad. First “good” soap I bought so it’s possible that user error is to blame, but it just never worked for me.

Have only ever owned 4 razors and 3 brushes and no complaints about any of them.

For me the most disappointing products have been Clubman shaving soap, merkur 39c and a shaving soap from a local maker.

Out of those 3 I’d have to say the clubman is probably the worst, the other 2 aren’t much better but I can push them into performing

Synthetic shaving brushes. After all the rave reviews I finally bought one. The face feel was horrible, it didn’t hold any lather in the knot and flicked lather everywhere. I still can’t understand how people can like these things.

Semogue boar brushes.
Semogue SOC Cherry. I bought two. First one's knot got out of the handle. Second one's hair loss never stopped.
1250 boar lost too many hairs, too. Another Semogue dissapointment i had was 830. The first one was a total disaster. The second one is a gift from a friend. It has no problem, thanks God.
SOC Taj is well built than other Semogues i had have. But i do not use it regularly because of lathering problems. It is hard to lather. And the lather is not consistent.
I dont have good luck with Semogues as you can see.

To me, it will be :

* razors

- Mühle R89 : for modern models. That thing was so unefficient on my beard & unpleasant on my skin that i decided to stop DE shaving after trying it several times.
It was in 2013. I went back to it when my beloved nephew was born, in 2019.

- Gillette New Improved Bostonian : for vintage ones. Well, i remember that it was some kind of psychopath razor which hurt me everywhere on my face.
More seriously, i was rather a newbie of DE shaving when i tried it. So i problably put the wrong angle & too much pressure. But i can say that this model is not permissive at all.

* blades

- Lord : horrible.

- Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (green)
: irritating.

* brushes

Semogue 1470 : i was never able to make something good with this one... But in fact, i really dislike any brush made with boar hairs.

* Soaps / creams

- Taylor sandalwood : i didn't appreciate at all the synthetic wood fragrance. And i had an allergic reaction to it, my skin became red tomato before i even started to shave...

- Martin de Candre : My skin was very dry in post-shave, it was the first time i had this feeling. Very unpleasant.
And of course, too expensive for only a piece of soap ! You'd think that they put some gold flakes in their recipe...

never seen anyone describe the nacet as horrible, im shocked to hear that lool

I think he's either the second or the third person I know who didn't like them. Someone above said that he doesn't like synthetic brushes, which is also wierd. You can't have a product that everyone likes after all.

Top Bottom