What's new

which razor, blades, soap, cream, brush etc has disappointed you the most?

I like to think that every disappointment provides experience. Gaining experience is half the fun of wet shaving for me.

H&V's congac and cuban cigars is a bit of a disappointment, only because it smells so darn good but makes my face tingle. Ugh. I would love to have in rotation.

Another was the Carbon Cx ++ in titanium. I got caught up in the hype and sold three razors to fund the purchase. I hummed and hah'ed on the purchase for a bit and figure the razor likely isn't for me, but got caught up in the hype and bought one. It just didn't do it for me, as I originally thought. That said, I traded it to great member and got to know another member here.

These may be disappointing but are data points and experience, and a reminder to trust my gut and what I like.

Blades: Bic Platinum - very tuggy. Only disappointing because I heard so much good press about these blades.
Brush: RazoRock 400 in the black synth. Tied itself in knot like horse hair can. A shorter loft and it might be better.
Soap: Herban Cowboy its lather is inversely proportional to its great scent. Made great shower soap.
Razor: Some were better than others, no huge disappointments - they all shaved.
personally i love BIC, never had any issues, very sharp and smooth too

I've used quite a few products that I didn't like and they are mostly razors like pretty much every Chinese razors that i've bought from Aliexpress and the Rockwell 6S. I really don't expect much from an inexpensive soap or cream and if my prep and blade are fine the soap/cream doesn't matter that much. Blades are very inexpensive and I mainly buy blades made by P&G in Russia and i'm more than pleased to even bother with blades from elsewhere. About brushes, my first brush was terrible, but then again i've bought it locally from a cosmetic supermarket when I just started DE shaving and I needed something before I get a better one.
you were disappointed with the rockweel 6S, seriously?

ive seen someone pmention they may not like this or that about the rockwell 6S but never known anyone be disappointed with it tbh, amazing razor

The iKon X3 slant razor may have been too mild for you, and therefore a disappointment, but was that the fault of the razor? Or was it a mismatch, a mismatch between a presumably tough beard and a mild razor?

But to answer your question, I have been disappointed in boar brushes. They are popular among some shavers, but I find nothing is better than a badger brush. Nothing.
i hear what youre saying, maybe my hair is just way too thick and coarse for that razor but generally i can use mild razors well thats why i was disappointed

Razor: all the vintage Gillettes I tried. They were.. fine. I guess. Old types, new types, techs, superspeeds, fatboys, slims, all of em. Barely anything more interesting than the Weishi I started with among the lot of em.
Brush: Omega boars. Kinda like the vintage Gillettes, just kinda meh.
Soaps: Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn. Caused a big rash on my face, forced me to make a "never again" list and put Sea Buckthorn as an ingredient on it.
Blades: Derby, Personna
which derby in particular?

Razor : The Chinese Ming Shi Merkur Futur knockoff. After about 5 shaves, the top cap wouldn't clip on anymore.
Soap : Wilkinson Sword (black bowl). Nothing I liked about this soap. Ended up using it in the shower...
Brush : 24mm Yaqi boar. The thing lost about 10 bristles per shave. Threw it out.
Blade : Durablade 7am Hi Platinum. Ouch.
i didnt know this was a thing that you could use the shaving soaps as soap in the shower lool good way to use it up i suppose

i got the qshave futur clone, its actually good quality

I tried the Wlkinson blue bowl (not sure if there is a difference), and the only thing I liked was the container, to improvise a Palmolive puck in.
im yet to try out the black and blue wilkinson sword bowls

also got the wilkinson sword blue shjaving stick to try out

I like to think that every disappointment provides experience. Gaining experience is half the fun of wet shaving for me.

H&V's congac and cuban cigars is a bit of a disappointment, only because it smells so darn good but makes my face tingle. Ugh. I would love to have in rotation.

Another was the Carbon Cx ++ in titanium. I got caught up in the hype and sold three razors to fund the purchase. I hummed and hah'ed on the purchase for a bit and figure the razor likely isn't for me, but got caught up in the hype and bought one. It just didn't do it for me, as I originally thought. That said, I traded it to great member and got to know another member here.

These may be disappointing but are data points and experience, and a reminder to trust my gut and what I like.
yea very true, good point, like anything in life its a learning curve

thing that winds me up is that i dont know anyone else personally into wet shaving so unless i buy it myself theres no other way to try it

like if i had friends or family into it i could borrow and try things out but obviously i cant lol

Cella red. Turned brown and started to smell funky. I’ll buy another jar later. A bummer cuz it was a favorite of my son and I
i saw the youtuber iamcdb say something like dont get water in the cella tub and dont lather in the cella tub as it gets brown and the scent as well as the performance just goes off, he mentions just scoop some soap out and lather in your shaving bowl

you were disappointed with the rockweel 6S, seriously?

ive seen someone pmention they may not like this or that about the rockwell 6S but never known anyone be disappointed with it tbh, amazing razor

It's a very mild razor and getting a nice BBS takes longer. I like nimble razors with slim head profiles which are easy to use under the nose. I suppose most folks who like the Rockwell razors either don't really care or aim for a ''perfect'' BBS, don't have very dense and softer whiskers and also don't heve whiskers that deep under the nose like I do. If I don't pull my nose up a bit, it's almost impossible for me to fully clean the whiskers in that small spot.

I really wanted to like it and even spend a few months experimenting with different blades, angle, pressure etc. but I didn't notice any huge difference or improvements, so I've decided to sell it.

It's a very mild razor and getting a nice BBS takes longer. I like nimble razors with slim head profiles which are easy to use under the nose. I suppose most folks who like the Rockwell razors either don't really care or aim for a ''perfect'' BBS, don't have very dense and softer whiskers and also don't heve whiskers that deep under the nose like I do. If I don't pull my nose up a bit, it's almost impossible for me to fully clean the whiskers in that small spot.

I really wanted to like it and even spend a few months experimenting with different blades, angle, pressure etc. but I didn't notice any huge difference or improvements, so I've decided to sell it.
I have thick coarse hair but loaded with a feather it does the job bbs for me

Saying that I do wish there was one more aggressive plate numbered 7 & 8

Other then that no issues very smooth

Which blades did you try?

Yea good to hear you tried giving it a go for some time, some people end to lose patience and give up

I have thick coarse hair but loaded with a feather it does the job bbs for me

Saying that I do wish there was one more aggressive plate numbered 7 & 8

Other then that no issues very smooth

Which blades did you try?

Yea good to hear you tried giving it a go for some time, some people end to lose patience and give up

I've used Feather as well, but still I wasn't impressed. It's not only that the razor is mild, but the matt finish stainless steel glides very strange on my face and I don't like it. It feels like dragging. I like razors with a bit more blade feel and more efficiency that's all.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom