What's new

which razor, blades, soap, cream, brush etc has disappointed you the most?

hey people so i obviously know like anything YMMV but i thought this would be an interesting thread

so for the the ikon x3 slant i was very disappointed as its just way too mild for me
saying that i suppose i didnt feel too bad as i got a nice stainless steel handle with it which i use with other heads

i was really looking forward to trying out the treet black beauty and was below average to me anyways

some of you guys got way more products and experience then me so ill be interested to see what names pop up and if the same names keep popping up too

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve been mostly disappointed in my skin’s reaction than the products.

The one that did disappoint me was ARKO! shave soap. I accidentally got some in my mouth while lathering (mouth is supposed to be closed I guess) and the soap tasted sweet. I expected a pungent, sour citrus scent and it was like poisonous candy instead. Total letdown.

I’ve been mostly disappointed in my skin’s reaction than the products.

The one that did disappoint me was ARKO! shave soap. I accidentally got some in my mouth while lathering (mouth is supposed to be closed I guess) and the soap tasted sweet. I expected a pungent, sour citrus scent and it was like poisonous candy instead. Total letdown.
dont start eating arko mate, you might start a trend hahaha 😂

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Blades: Bic Platinum - very tuggy. Only disappointing because I heard so much good press about these blades.
Brush: RazoRock 400 in the black synth. Tied itself in knot like horse hair can. A shorter loft and it might be better.
Soap: Herban Cowboy its lather is inversely proportional to its great scent. Made great shower soap.
Razor: Some were better than others, no huge disappointments - they all shaved.

I've used quite a few products that I didn't like and they are mostly razors like pretty much every Chinese razors that i've bought from Aliexpress and the Rockwell 6S. I really don't expect much from an inexpensive soap or cream and if my prep and blade are fine the soap/cream doesn't matter that much. Blades are very inexpensive and I mainly buy blades made by P&G in Russia and i'm more than pleased to even bother with blades from elsewhere. About brushes, my first brush was terrible, but then again i've bought it locally from a cosmetic supermarket when I just started DE shaving and I needed something before I get a better one.

The iKon X3 slant razor may have been too mild for you, and therefore a disappointment, but was that the fault of the razor? Or was it a mismatch, a mismatch between a presumably tough beard and a mild razor?

But to answer your question, I have been disappointed in boar brushes. They are popular among some shavers, but I find nothing is better than a badger brush. Nothing.

Razor: all the vintage Gillettes I tried. They were.. fine. I guess. Old types, new types, techs, superspeeds, fatboys, slims, all of em. Barely anything more interesting than the Weishi I started with among the lot of em.
Brush: Omega boars. Kinda like the vintage Gillettes, just kinda meh.
Soaps: Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn. Caused a big rash on my face, forced me to make a "never again" list and put Sea Buckthorn as an ingredient on it.
Blades: Derby, Personna

I have a clear winner for disappointment: Feather AS-D2.
Blade alignment was so horribly inconsistent I had to return it.

Runner up is B&M Omnibus soap base. I just don’t get it. I just can’t lather it to any usable structure that won’t disappear on my face. I only have badger brushes but don’t see the need to get a synthetic to use one soap.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
In contrast, I find Williams Soap to be ok. What I don't like about it is it leaves an excess of scum on my black sink, more so than most other soaps. I have hard water.
I thought any tallow soap did that with hard water. I will say that I noticed it more with vintage Williams than modern and especially with a vintage Colgate puck I had. I do have a water softener and still got a bit of the curdling with vintage Williams and Colgate. I can imagine hard water doing that all the time with any tallow soap.

I find Astra SPs good (sharp enough, smooth, value for money), so expected the Astra SS (blue package) to be similar.

They're probably sharp, but it was hard to tell, as the dominant impression was the lack of smoothness. It wasn't (quite) as bad as an old carbon steel blade I once tried.

Reactions: saj
Razor : The Chinese Ming Shi Merkur Futur knockoff. After about 5 shaves, the top cap wouldn't clip on anymore.
Soap : Wilkinson Sword (black bowl). Nothing I liked about this soap. Ended up using it in the shower...
Brush : 24mm Yaqi boar. The thing lost about 10 bristles per shave. Threw it out.
Blade : Durablade 7am Hi Platinum. Ouch.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom