What's new

October 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in but I'm No longer pretending I'm enjoying this 😝

Sunday shave with Rockwell T2 and dorco prime st300. Lathered proraso White and finished off with Lucky Tiger and clubman pinaud. Good shave but the blade was dulling. Loaded an Astra ss for tomorrow, a blade I don't like but I have dialed down my blade Gap so might enjoy it tomorrow.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Sunday shave
GSB/red tip Super Speed
Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic
Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore soap
Tcheon Fung Sing Tabacco Verde balm
Razorock Zi Peppino after shave splash
I really love green tobacco/tobacco flower scents. Some day I'll get some Alt Innsbruck. But that day won't be today. It has been on my radar for quite some time, I confess.

Today is supposed to be as warm as any day in August, so this was a perfect shave. Still in restraint.

Sunday headshave

Gillette Old Type
Dorco Prime (5)
Proraso (Omega) Boar
RR American Barber
Stirling Arkadia
Nivea Sensitive Cool

IMG-3492.jpg

Still in

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
RULES CLARIFICATION, if you please.

Would having a razor you've owned for years revamped by Black Roads Gold dis qualify me from GRUME? Given my shave den, I'm hoping to stay in GRUME for the remainder of this year. I could wait to have it replated, it's shaving just fine, but I'm wondering if that would be allowable under the rules.

I guess, the fact that it shaves just fine sort of answers my own question, doesn't it. I should probably wait, to be consistent with the spirit of the thing, I guess.

RULES CLARIFICATION, if you please.

Would having a razor you've owned for years revamped by Black Roads Gold dis qualify me from GRUME? Given my shave den, I'm hoping to stay in GRUME for the remainder of this year. I could wait to have it replated, it's shaving just fine, but I'm wondering if that would be allowable under the rules.

I guess, the fact that it shaves just fine sort of answers my own question, doesn't it. I should probably wait, to be consistent with the spirit of the thing, I guess.
4. Any shaving-related services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint if they are not strictly necessary.

Still in. Haven’t been shaving much lately. Me and the parents babysat my niece about a week ago and she got us all super sick haha. Finally starting to recover a bit but my parents are still struggling, although they will be fine. My niece is lucky she’s freakin’ adorable! Was saving a shave for when I can resume my life normally and it will be tomorrow. Can’t wait to get this crap off of my face.

Mmm. This was a hard one but I gave in. Some vendor was having some deep discounts so I picked them up. I was going to try them next month but gave into my FOMO. I went strong for six months so I'm pretty happy but bitter that I went out on this one.

I'm out. I'm planning on joining for DEC round to start back the restraint towards the new year.
Sorry to hear it. You've been around, so you know this, but I hope you will stick around and continue to play along from home. It sounds like you'll skip November, so maybe restraint between now and 12/1 isn't in your plans...

Either way, when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @henrickd - GRUYERE
3) @Doti B
4) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
5) @Sinnbad11
6) @JWCowboy
7) @Multum in parvo
8) @Owen Bawn
9) @‘Bout Time
10) @JKar
11) @SharpieB
12) @hopper_64
13) Timeclo - out (10/8: discounted stuff)
14) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
15) @linty1
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @mattps1
18) @JaggardJ
19) @Roedeer
20) @12stones
21) @Kyle89
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
23) @bobmsp
24) @FL shaver
25) @Contact_vs_Feedback
26) @sandorfi
27) @djmillard
28) @B_R_A_D
29) @JCinPA
30) @Shaun asleep
31) @Dodger59
32) Abz88 - out (10/5: RFB)
33) @Balin
34) @pdieten
35) @La Malice
36) @Altonius

I hope you can make it through the end of the month as well. What’s causing the urge, seeing it in lots of pictures, hear good things about it, want to try a slant? Do you have a variety of razors, any you haven’t tried in a while that you can revisit or any blades you haven’t tried in the razors you have? Maybe you can find a new combo that will take your mind off the FOCS.

The FOCS is readily available all year so will still be around when you finish the GRUME and who knows, in a few weeks or few months maybe the urge to get it will pass.

I’m not sure but guessing it may be against the rules as you have to pay for shipping so some money is being spent on a shaving item, although you aren’t keeping or buying it, maybe @FoolishMortal can confirm this. There is a FOCS pass around for US residents in the safety razor section, maybe you can try it now or after the GRUME and see if it’s worth waiting for or maybe it won’t be for you or just trying it will satisfy the urge. Good luck, hope to see you still around at the end of the month 👍

Shipping costs for passarounds are okay, as they are similar to trades.

Day 10, out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 OC, Wizamet SI #1
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Excellent shave with a fresh Wizamet.

Allowed Backup Disorder to get the better of me, and ordered more Mitchell's Wool Fat. This was going to happen sooner or later, but I triggered it off by browsing the usual places.

Day 10, out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 OC, Wizamet SI #1
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Excellent shave with a fresh Wizamet.

Allowed Backup Disorder to get the better of me, and ordered more Mitchell's Wool Fat. This was going to happen sooner or later, but I triggered it off by browsing the usual places.
That's unfortunate, since it seems you could have waited for the restock date. I don't know the situation, though, so I hope you stocked up enough to last! I also hope that you will continue to play along at home, if you're so inclined.

And when a brother deer falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @henrickd - GRUYERE
3) @Doti B
4) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
5) @Sinnbad11
6) @JWCowboy
7) @Multum in parvo
8) @Owen Bawn
9) @‘Bout Time
10) @JKar
11) @SharpieB
12) @hopper_64
13) Timeclo - out (10/8: discounted stuff)
14) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
15) @linty1
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @mattps1
18) @JaggardJ
19) Roedeer - out (10/10: MWF)
20) @12stones
21) @Kyle89
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
23) @bobmsp
24) @FL shaver
25) @Contact_vs_Feedback
26) @sandorfi
27) @djmillard
28) @B_R_A_D
29) @JCinPA
30) @Shaun asleep
31) @Dodger59
32) Abz88 - out (10/5: RFB)
33) @Balin
34) @pdieten
35) @La Malice
36) @Altonius

Still in and another great shave today. Ravish is basically “wifenip” so she was appreciative of my scent choice today.

Happy Thanksgiving to any Canucks in the GRUME.

Razor: Timeless .68 Titanium Open Comb
Blade: Feather New Hi Stainless (5)
Brush: Graydog Chechen / AP Shave Co. 26mm G5A (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Ravish
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Ravish Splash

3E3B63ED-92D8-48CC-AD00-C14734EE0C98.jpeg

That's unfortunate, since it seems you could have waited for the restock date. I don't know the situation, though, so I hope you stocked up enough to last!

I don't think that's how restraint restocks work, though, if you already have a recently started MWF puck of 125g (...currently weighing a lot more, but the hydration weight gain is a story for another thread), and an unused puck.

Backup Disorder is all about consolidating future availability of something you like.

I ordered another 4 x 125g, so at ~ ½ a gram per shave burn-rate, the reformulation/discontinuation fear should be pushed about 1500 days into the future.

Seeing as I was going to get hanged for a wool-fatty lamb (so to speak), I also ordered a posh soap which I think was recommended by MWF fan @Herrenberg, Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Still in!

Changed my mind and put the new Astra ss in my flare tip, because it's my mildest shaver.
I cut my nose VERY badly. It just kept bleeding, alot! Rubbed my alum Block against it like a madman which did the trick.

I cut myself because I was still half asleep but I do have to say the Astra just isn't the right blade for me, regardless of what razor I throw at it, much like Voskhod. Both feel so much less forgiving than my Dorco and platinums,the blades also feels like they are thicker and less pliable.

Anyway, still alive and still restraining.

april_2021-10-11-10-58-33-109.jpg

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Razor: Ever Ready Pat'd 1912
Blade: Gems ptfe
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Fuar Ach Snog.

My Ever Ready SE is another of my traditionally neglected razors so I have decided to give it a spin. Only this time I was aided by this manual that I randomly bumped into online.
Screenshot_20211006-180547_Facebook.jpg

It was nice and smooth and this time left me with dfs/bbs Results without drawing blood. The Sandalwood soap however continues to either dry out really quickly or be too wet. Luckily I have an unused tube of Proraso Red that I can use. I shall probably use my November restock date to aquire a different hard soap.

Top Bottom