What's new

October 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in,
An unusual but, pleasant Friday shave for me. A brief goodbye to my at home kit while I spend the next 10 days in Italy, I would be lying if I said I'm looking forward to the Bic disposable shaves coming for me.

If nothing else at least I can recall this shave when I'm four shaves deep into a disposable cart...
View attachment 1342336
That Grizzly Bay :001_wub:

Should be an amazing trip, enjoy

Mmm. This was a hard one but I gave in. Some vendor was having some deep discounts so I picked them up. I was going to try them next month but gave into my FOMO. I went strong for six months so I'm pretty happy but bitter that I went out on this one.

I'm out. I'm planning on joining for DEC round to start back the restraint towards the new year.

Razor: Timeless .68 Titanium Open Comb
Blade: Feather New Hi Stainless (4)
Brush: Graydog Chechen / AP Shave Co. 26mm G5A (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Tobacco Leaf uber lather with Talbot Trust (unscented)
Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street Tobacco Leaf Splash

Absolute perfect shave today, everything worked so well together. I was always hesitant to try a Feather but after 4 shaves can say it paired with the Timeless .68 OC is probably my favourite DE combo. I made an uber lather with TOBS cream and “unscented” Talbot soap, first time using Talbot, and it was the slickest lather I’ve ever gotten and made my face feel amazing.

Odd thing about the Talbot Trust soap, it’s called unscented but the scent of the base is actually stronger then a few of my scented soaps. It smells like a loaf of bread, probably from the rice bran and wheat oil. I left the lid off it for over a week to try to reduce the smell but it made no difference, probably because it’s not fragrance. Oh well, I’ll let it slide with the performance I got today.

95B8CB39-7F9F-4B24-A2F0-9648C859883A.jpeg

Still in with an average saturday morning shave.
1963 super speed flare tip, Gillette platinum (4), Cella, proraso green balm.

I gave myself a big cut using the shavette yesterday, it looked okish yesterday but today it looks huge and is a bit sore. Made this mornings shave a bit more difficult. Some stubble left on the nicked cheek despite 3 passes.

Also... Ads make me grumpy.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T1
Razor: Gillette E2 Fatboy, setting 7
Blade: Wilkinson sword Classic (1)
Post-shave: Cold water, Alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

After only using a shavette for the last week or so, the Fatboy feels quite heavy in my hand. Also as I am now used to being able to see the blade I accidentally cut my lip, fortunately it was only a small cut. Overall this was an enjoyable shave, the Fatboy provided a good dfs shave and it felt good to have it in my hand again.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
GSB in the red tip Super Speed; Black/Brown Beagle fan brush; Razorock XXX Fresco soap and aftershave; perhaps I'll give myself a spritz of Acqua di Parma Colonia in an hour before I go out. Still in restraint.

Way back in May when I started the 'Synthetic Summer' thread to kill time while awaiting the arrival of the Beagle group buy brushes I put all of my Simpson, Zenith, Rooney, and Paladin badgers away in their little presentation boxes. Five months later and I still haven't taken a single one of them back out of the box. Been using one Zenith boar, a couple of synthetics, and mostly the two Beagles (since they arrived in June). I really am a lazy sod.

Well I smell like a big mug of spiced wine today.

I was so happy to see my little boy after 6 days away, and we've been inseparable. I let him pick out my shave soap this morning, and he wanted one that smelled like Christmas. Therefore:

20211009_084556.jpg

Pre-shave: Stirling Unscented facial soap
Brush: Stirling Two band B&W synthetic
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless (2)
Lather: WCS Gløgg
Aftershave: Cold water + alum, hyaluronic acid, Stirling Unscented w/menthol, WCS Gløgg A/S

Very nice shave. Not sure I'm sold on the consistency of this WCS Duck Fat soap, but the bathroom was redolent of fruit and holiday spices.

Two shaves into my first Feather blade, and I'm pretty happy with it. Tugs less than the Astra I'm used to.

I don’t often shave on consecutive days but going to a football game so I thought I’d look respectable. Needed something a little milder than yesterday’s razor, to the extent that a Schöne with a new Silver Star blade is “mild”. Worked out well though.

442A250B-1545-4F2E-90FF-D4A361BE63E2.jpeg

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso green
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso Shaving Soap Sensitive Skin Jar
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkod (6)

Lazy Saturday, long walk, mulling around watching video on how to butcher a deer and then a nice shower and shave, 2 nick on my mosquito bite from last night walk … oh well not the ned of the world still a good shave regardless.

Next on bunny burgers with the son before his D&D Saturday afternoon time

Hope I make it until month end! I have a strong inclination to purchase an FOCS. Actually 2, so I can do the mixed metal thing.
I hope you can make it through the end of the month as well. What’s causing the urge, seeing it in lots of pictures, hear good things about it, want to try a slant? Do you have a variety of razors, any you haven’t tried in a while that you can revisit or any blades you haven’t tried in the razors you have? Maybe you can find a new combo that will take your mind off the FOCS.

The FOCS is readily available all year so will still be around when you finish the GRUME and who knows, in a few weeks or few months maybe the urge to get it will pass.

I’m not sure but guessing it may be against the rules as you have to pay for shipping so some money is being spent on a shaving item, although you aren’t keeping or buying it, maybe @FoolishMortal can confirm this. There is a FOCS pass around for US residents in the safety razor section, maybe you can try it now or after the GRUME and see if it’s worth waiting for or maybe it won’t be for you or just trying it will satisfy the urge. Good luck, hope to see you still around at the end of the month 👍

Still in!
Prep: shower and Lush Kalamazoo face wash
Preshave: Proraso Blue
Soap: RR Irish Country side
Brush: Omega 49 Pro
Razor: RR GC .68
Blade: Rapira SS
Aftershave: Proraso blue balm

I had a few bumps at the bottom of my neck so about a half hour after the shave I used some bump eraser and they almost disappeared.

Still restraining.
Two straight razor shaves for Saturday, working my way through two SV soaps I've had in the rotation for quite a while.

Last month was excessive on shaving gear spending, I purchased a lot of gear for straight razor honing, a few vintage DE razors, and more brushes. I've run out of things to buy, my appetite for shaving stuff is quite well full, and i'm slow selling off items that don't tickle my fancy as much. My plan is to sit out the Nov/Dec sale season as well

Top Bottom