What's new

Who makes your favorite synthetic shaving brush?

Who makes your favorite synthetic brush?

• Edwin Jagger

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Frank Shaving

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Kent

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • L’occitane

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Mühle & Nom

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Omega

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Plisson

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Razorock

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • Shavemac

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 99 58.9%

• Total voters
Razorock is a knock off Plisson and came out with Plissoft before any other vendors really had anything close. Plisson makes a good synthetic now because Razorock had a excellent product(possibly better) and they had to regain their market back just like Simpson synthetics had to come out with a good version to compete with every one else.
I like Plissoft but Yaqi lately has some stellar brush products at a reasonable price and excellent lathering tools IMO.
Plisson for L'Occitane came out before RR Plissoft, it wasn't as expensive as a Plisson and more expensive than an RR.

Again, my apology for omitting Simpsons and Yaqi from the list of choices. I was only allowed 10 choices and made a serious oversight. I will re-publish this thread in six months and include these popular choices.

Of the ones listed, it would have to be Razorock, specifically the Big Bruce. For mass produced brushes, the Simpson T3, and AP Shave Co. are tops for me though.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Razorock is a knock off Plisson and came out with Plissoft before any other vendors really had anything close. Plisson makes a good synthetic now because Razorock had a excellent product(possibly better) and they had to regain their market back just like Simpson synthetics had to come out with a good version to compete with every one else.
I like Plissoft but Yaqi lately has some stellar brush products at a reasonable price and excellent lathering tools IMO.
Thanks. My Plisson is one of the brownish shaded ones. I think they are more of a white with blackish tips now. I guess I don't have the latest, but I'm guessing it's a pretty incremental difference.

I had a Razorock 400 with the black Plissoft. I hated that. It was a make-up brush passing itself off as a shave brush. I actually got a knot in the knot by lathering. If they were trying to mimic horse, they nailed it as far as the ability to knot went. (I actually do like horse brushes).

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Again, my apology for omitting Simpsons and Yaqi from the list of choices. I was only allowed 10 choices and made a serious oversight. I will re-publish this thread in six months and include these popular choices.
I think if we actually knew who made what you would have more choices than you need. I have to believe 5 or 6 companies world wide are spitting out the fibers that are used by all of these brands of brushes. Granted each company may have several types of fiber and so on and have a exclusive deal with a brush manufacture to only make it a particular variant of fiber for them.

I think if we actually knew who made what you would have more choices than you need. I have to believe 5 or 6 companies world wide are spitting out the fibers that are used by all of these brands of brushes. Granted each company may have several types of fiber and so on and have a exclusive deal with a brush manufacture to only make it a particular variant of fiber for them.
Would you be willing to speculate on the lead companies?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Would you be willing to speculate on the lead companies?
I honestly have no idea. It's just the economics of these fibers. I just don't see 100's or even 10's of manufacturers. If that is a correct theory it follows then that a few make all. Some in the know probably laugh when they see forumites arguing which brush is better when they may both use the exact same fiber made by them. Who knows?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I know that Edwin Jagger and Nom use Muhle knots. They are just set differently.

I've heard Muhle developed the fiber, I don't know if they manufacture it. I'm also wondering if Simpson, Omega, Plisson and others have spun up plastic fiber factories, or if they are just buying from a manufacturer of fibers, which would be my guess. That's why I think there are probably only a few and they are mostly going to be overseas. Lots of white label stuff going on is my thought.

As long as we are happy with the brushes it doesn't matter of course, just saying I think there are many brands and few manufacturers.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Nathan Clark's Ubersoft Synthetic is the only synthetic brush (mainly because of my Badger preferences) I now own and I've had the brush for 4 years. Supreme performance.

I casted a vote for Muhle as well because if it weren't for a financial constraint I had way back when, I'd still own the Muhle synthetic brush I had. I am of the opinion that both knots are formidable equals.

My Ubersoft 1st gen in Wolf Whiskers handle is my favorite synth as well. I have parted with most others.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that DuPont holds the patent for most of these synthetic fibres, or at least for the plastics of which they're made.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that DuPont holds the patent for most of these synthetic fibres, or at least for the plastics of which they're made.
I think I remember the same thing. I've reached out to a leading authority on synthetic brushes on the matter and expect to hear back in a few hours.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Definitely yaqi.
What a beautiful starry sky and dreamy lather.
82280401_2754940391211513_8232321188139892736_n.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks. My Plisson is one of the brownish shaded ones. I think they are more of a white with blackish tips now. I guess I don't have the latest, but I'm guessing it's a pretty incremental difference.

I had a Razorock 400 with the black Plissoft. I hated that. It was a make-up brush passing itself off as a shave brush. I actually got a knot in the knot by lathering. If they were trying to mimic horse, they nailed it as far as the ability to knot went. (I actually do like horse brushes).
The nice thing about shaving is everyone is usually opinionated, I have the RR Noir 400 and I have used it for years and it reminds of a well broke in boar brush without the Scritch. I have not had any issues like you mentioned, not sure what happened, most folks who own like & enjoy the Noir 400 Plissoft brushes like myself.
Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft 24mm (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom