What's new

Who makes your favorite synthetic shaving brush?

Who makes your favorite synthetic brush?

• Edwin Jagger

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Frank Shaving

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Kent

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • L’occitane

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Mühle & Nom

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Omega

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Plisson

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Razorock

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • Shavemac

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 99 58.9%

• Total voters

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've used many synthetics - too many
Shavemac - I screwed up and had them sink the knot a couple of mm. I should have had them raise it a couple above standard. Too much backbone for my tastes, but a very nice fiber.
Simpson Chubby (can't recall which size). Too stiff
Simson Trafalgar T2 Too stiff
RazoRock 400 - with noir plissoft. Hated. Actually tied in a knot it like horse hair can, but had none of the good qualities of horse.
PAA Solar Flare - A little better than the Razorock 400, but it was a short marriage.
Plisson Brush (real from France - the tannish fibers not the current whitish ones) Very good brush. A tiny bit of poke or scritch (this brush with STF fibers would be killer)
Muhle STF 25mm Great but a bit too big. I think I'm going to get a 23 and call it good.
Muhle STF 21mm Too small
Supply Synthetic. No name rebranded by many. Not a bad brush
One Blade 20mm - Not as good as Supply synth. But... probably one of the best 20mm synths out there. There is a reason many build giant synths, most fibers aren't suited to smaller brushes, plus they are cheap.
Fine Stout - great brush if you like a big glue bump
Omega S - s for slingshot

I currently own four synths
One Blade - permanently resides at my mom's house for when I visit.
Muhle STF 25mm
Shavemac - I'd probably move this one down the road, but it has some particular sentimental value, so will always have it. It might go back to be re-knotted though.
Plisson

Any synths with obvious glue bumps or any where it's luck of the draw on glue bump size are not ones I even consider any more. So that really means, just like badger, any synth I want is hand tied by people well paid that know there stuff.

On my radar
Muhle STF in 23mm
Reknotting the Shavemac
A new Plisson - but I would need to see some reviews or try one first. Since I bought mine the changed synth fibers. If it was similar to what I have, but no ***** or scratch, I'd get one.

Curious if you found any synthetic brush knots you like better?
I haven't tried a lot of new knots in recent years, but the Motherlode is still my favorite. It's the softest knot I've ever used. It won't win any backbone awards, but that's not a priority for me. The thing whips up lather very fast, splays easily, and holds water better than other synthetics.

Haven't used anything other than Muhle (STF and black fibre) in RV handles. I hear good things about several more recent synthetics but since the Muhles work well for me, I've seen no reason to stray.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Haven't used anything other than Muhle (STF and black fibre) in RV handles. I hear good things about several more recent synthetics but since the Muhles work well for me, I've seen no reason to stray.
Oh, thanks for reminding me. I forgot Rudy used the Muhle Fiber. Might turn out to be an expensive reminder for me, LOL

I haven't tried a lot of new knots in recent years, but the Motherlode is still my favorite. It's the softest knot I've ever used. It won't win any backbone awards, but that's not a priority for me. The thing whips up lather very fast, splays easily, and holds water better than other synthetics.
I've got a few of them, the Motherlode knots, too and was just curious. You're right so very soft, with almost no backbone at all.

I wonder why the opening survey lacks most of the biggest synth brushes manufacturers in the market. Was the shaving world that different in 2020?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have the one and only Honey Noire Synthetic. Very pricey for sure; but it’s a keeper.
What qualities make it better than say a Muhle STS? I'm interested, but not in their actual badgers as I know they are for the most part bleached to the hilt aka "gelled". But I could see getting a synth if they are good.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
What qualities make it better than say a Muhle STS? I'm interested, but not in their actual badgers as I know they are for the most part bleached to the hilt aka "gelled". But I could see getting a synth if they are good.
It’s not significantly ‘better’ in performance than many other synthetic knots; but to me it looks much more natural and is very luxurious in face feel.
1645584540404.jpeg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It’s not significantly ‘better’ in performance than many other synthetic knots; but to me it looks much more natural and is very luxurious in face feel.
View attachment 1414324
It does look the part of a two band for sure. Gelled, but two band none the less. (not saying the synth is gelled, it's not, but the very white tips are usually a give away on badgers at are. I sold a Plisson that others would love, but I hated because it was gelled and felt entirely fake). I also like that the fibers are not pin straight That is one of the key differentiators for the Muhle fiber. I'm considering, but I do really like the Muhle fiber.

Top Bottom