What's new

How to get a synthetic brush ready for its first shave

I need some advice. I'll be getting a new synthetic brush these days and would like to have some recommendations on what to do to make the brush ready for the first shave. I'm aware that there won't be a break-in time as with badger or boar brushes, but is there some preparation protocol/procedure I should be aware of, maybe like shampooing the brush before its first use?

How do you guys prepare your synthetic for first time use?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Bacteria and viruses will not survive on it since the manufacturing date. They are usually in a box or some other kind of packaging.
Warm water to start the shave. Nothing more.

Be warned! The majority of synthetics of the present day are made of PBT. That means no more than 60°C.
The first wash with the antibacterial is with cold water. From there on in it never sees warm water as I cold water shave all year round. Thank you for the information though.

Bacteria and viruses will not survive on it since the manufacturing date. They are usually in a box or some other kind of packaging.
Warm water to start the shave. Nothing more.

Be warned! The majority of synthetics of the present day are made of PBT. That means no more than 60°C.
Good to know. Thanks. For those in the U.S. this is 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Typically this is the upper end of the range for hot water in most U.S. residences.

Would suspect this is not an issue for most as another reason for avoiding high temperatures is that they can weaken the brush knot adhesives.

P.S. Regarding the OP, everyone above is right, no prep needed. Just use the brush.

Thank you all for helping me out. I appreciate all your advice, recommendations, and insights. The new brush arrived today and I chose a combination of the advice you guys have provided.

1. Cold water rinse
2. Shampoo, working it into the knot.
3. Cold water rinse
4. Dry on towel....wait a couple of minutes
5. Bloom puck of soap in the meantime
6. Cold water rinse, shake it out a bit
7. Lather... a lot
8. Discard lather
9. Cold water rinse
10. Shake it out
11. Towel dry
12. Air Dry

However, judging from the experience of the above protocol and how the brush behaved, a cold water rinse and just lathering up for the shave would also have been fine. I was somehow expecting that lathering might be a bit harder on the first use, maybe due to some imagined oily residue on the fibers , but boy did this brush lather up a storm right off the bat.

So, I guess what I'm saying all your advice and recommendations can be utilized according to one's gusto.

I thank you all again for all your gracious assistance, it has been extremely helpful to my shaving journey. This is a great place with a very supportive community and I can't say it often enough how grateful I am to have found this little corner of the internet of shaving bliss. It's all of you who make it every day this great place of support and community.

Attachments

• IMG_6292.jpeg
    IMG_6292.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6296.jpeg
    IMG_6296.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
I have about 10 synthetic brushes that I always wash with shampoo before I use them.
I know this is not gentle, but I do it anyway.
I found out the hard way that synthetic brushes don't like hot water. It can change the shape of the knot and tilt the fibers, thus forming holes, gaps in the tuft.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I just us a little bit of foam soap (we use Dr Bronner liquid soap diluted with water out of a foamer) and lather up once or twice in my hand, rinse out the soap residue and the brush is ready to be used. I think a lot of people do overthink the initial "break-in" of a brush. All my brushes, syns or badgers, get this treatment, anything else is just overkill or may even damage a brush.

Top Bottom