What's new

Who makes your favorite synthetic shaving brush?

Who makes your favorite synthetic brush?

• Edwin Jagger

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Frank Shaving

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Kent

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • L’occitane

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Mühle & Nom

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Omega

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Plisson

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Razorock

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • Shavemac

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 99 58.9%

• Total voters
Muhle synthetic knots bundled for trimming and gluing.

38199-707f38eb82a581f381e9bfb0232cea52.jpg

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
It really seems like there’s no true top tier of brands for synthetics. The preferences are quite varied. Honestly, I have found the synthetics all perform equally. They just feel different. This contrasts with natural hairs since some natural hair brushes simply don’t build lather quickly while others do, and we have seen the better performing badgers and boars maintain their reputations as top tier.

This said, I prefer natural hair as it is a more luxurious and interesting experience to lather with them. But my Wolf Whiskers Ubersoft is never going anywhere and is a great brush for quick and easy shaves.

I think if we actually knew who made what you would have more choices than you need. I have to believe 5 or 6 companies world wide are spitting out the fibers that are used by all of these brands of brushes. Granted each company may have several types of fiber and so on and have a exclusive deal with a brush manufacture to only make it a particular variant of fiber for them.

Several companies that provide raw source materials for knots.

DuPont (USA), BASF (Germany), Dow Chemical (USA), Toray Industries (Japan), Eastman Chemical Company (USA), Sumitomo Chemical Co. (Japan), Celanese Chemicals Inc. (USA), Yixing Longrun Chemical Co., Ltd. (China), Guizhou Crystal Group Superfine Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd. (China)

Simpson and Muhle are the primary sources of finished knots Europe.

US --FM Brush Company (HIS Brush) one facility is in Thailand and the other is in Glendale, New York. Maggards and The Golden Nib

China

Shenyang Ace Shaving
JDK (Shenzhen) Makeup Brush Company
Guangzhou Wangda Co.
Shijiazhuang YaQi
Anping County HengJu Mane & Tail Products Co.

Thank you to Gary Carrington for the information above.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
+1! They were going to get my vote! Second choice was Shavemac!
Have you finally taken the plunge into the world of synthetics? I can see you using a Duke 3 synthetic. It's the same size knot as a Duke 3 in badger, but on the face it feels as though its the same size as your beloved Duke 2 best.

Have you finally taken the plunge into the world of synthetics? I can see you using a Duke 3 synthetic. It's the same size knot as a Duke 3 in badger, but on the face it feels as though its the same size as your beloved Duke 2 best.

Excellent question!

One of my buddies uses a Duke 3 synthetic which I tried: GREAT brush! But I still prefer my badgers!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Several companies that provide raw source materials for knots.

DuPont (USA), BASF (Germany), Dow Chemical (USA), Toray Industries (Japan), Eastman Chemical Company (USA), Sumitomo Chemical Co. (Japan), Celanese Chemicals Inc. (USA), Yixing Longrun Chemical Co., Ltd. (China), Guizhou Crystal Group Superfine Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd. (China)

Simpson and Muhle are the primary sources of finished knots Europe.

US --FM Brush Company (HIS Brush) one facility is in Thailand and the other is in Glendale, New York. Maggards and The Golden Nib

China

Shenyang Ace Shaving
JDK (Shenzhen) Makeup Brush Company
Guangzhou Wangda Co.
Shijiazhuang YaQi
Anping County HengJu Mane & Tail Products Co.

Thank you to Gary Carrington for the information above.

Certainly more companies make fiber than I would have thought.

since I really haven't bought any brushes in more than a year (i only use synthetics now). This past week I ordered:

Simpsons T3
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Omega Evo Ceramic White
Shavemac Custom Synthetic 26mm (bulb knot)
4 diff Yaqi brushes with Tuxedo Knot (those are the only ones that already got here). 3 are bulb 26mm and one is fan 26mm. This was safe since it was the cheapest and the tuxedo knot is my favorite knot in other brands.

After I receive them (some might take a while, since coming from europe, spain etc) and use them each for a while, i will make a comparisson and pick my favorites.

since I really haven't bought any brushes in more than a year (i only use synthetics now). This past week I ordered:

Simpsons T3
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Omega Evo Ceramic White
Shavemac Custom Synthetic 26mm (bulb knot)
4 diff Yaqi brushes with Tuxedo Knot (those are the only ones that already got here). 3 are bulb 26mm and one is fan 26mm. This was safe since it was the cheapest and the tuxedo knot is my favorite knot in other brands.

After I receive them (some might take a while, since coming from europe, spain etc) and use them each for a while, i will make a comparisson and pick my favorites.

Excellent choices. I just received a Yaqi Segrada Familia Tuxedo 24mm in today's mail. Expecting a Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic later this week!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
97F48C9F-47DC-4730-856C-7FE6A5DA3D46.jpeg8051E902-4E0B-4B30-9974-FE474BFCE134.jpegBDFE8DAD-6AC0-4457-8F52-33DA7E917405.jpeg
I voted Other. The only synthetic brush that I own is from Jack the Barber here in Australia and it is made in China.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just got a Simpson Trafalgar T3 in the mail. Have it queued up for tomorrow's shave. We will see if it lives up to the hype.

Top Bottom