What's new

The Electric razor thread

Do any of the gentlemen on this forum have experience with the newest Remington shavers? For reasons too lengthy to go into here, I'm more than a bit disappointed with the current big three: Braun, Panasonic, Philips - I've tried them all.

My first electric shaver was a Remington with slotted heads, given to me by my mother when I was 16. I't wasn't all that good for my teenage skin. I also remember the TV commercials with Victor Kiam in the 'nineties ("I bought the company.") How has Remington developed since then?

I've only used their lowest end foil shaver (all black, no pivot, no middle cutter but just foils) and it did a fine job of shaving but missed long hairs very bad. If you wanted to always trim first before shaving it could be passable but a hassle. I have done a lot of research on modern Electrics, you can only take reviews with a grain of salt so I look for consistent trends in reviews and I consistently read one negative about all Remington shavers: their foils need to be replaced every 3-4 mo the regardless of what the manual says. Most users report 12-18 months with Braun, Panasonic, or Philips.

This is a good review of one of their offerings:

I've only used their lowest end foil shaver (all black, no pivot, no middle cutter but just foils) and it did a fine job of shaving but missed long hairs very bad. If you wanted to always trim first before shaving it could be passable but a hassle. I have done a lot of research on modern Electrics, you can only take reviews with a grain of salt so I look for consistent trends in reviews and I consistently read one negative about all Remington shavers: their foils need to be replaced every 3-4 mo the regardless of what the manual says. Most users report 12-18 months with Braun, Panasonic, or Philips.

^^^^^^^ This. If you've been disappointed with the Germans, the Dutch and the Japanese, chances are this American offering won't come close to making the cut, so to speak.

Do any of the gentlemen on this forum have experience with the newest Remington shavers? For reasons too lengthy to go into here, I'm more than a bit disappointed with the current big three: Braun, Panasonic, Philips - I've tried them all.

My first electric shaver was a Remington with slotted heads, given to me by my mother when I was 16. I't wasn't all that good for my teenage skin. I also remember the TV commercials with Victor Kiam in the 'nineties ("I bought the company.") How has Remington developed since then?

I had a Remington screen shaver about six or seven years ago and was very disappointed. This was the first screen shaver that I owned that could be cleaned under running water. Unfortunately, the cutters corroded and then the screens cracked because of the additional pressure required to get a decent shave from the corroded cutters. At one point I was replacing the screens and cutters monthly. After the second month I just threw the shaver in the trash. I doubt that they have changed their screen nor cutter design. I replaced it with a Panasonic ES8103 which lasted five years with the original screens and cutters plus it gave excellent shaves.

If you want to try a Remington, they along with all the other manufacturers offer at least a 30 day money back return policy. If you buy one be sure to use it daily for at least a couple of weeks to allow time for your beard and face to become accustomed to the razor.

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your experiences. Somehow, I think I'll forget about Remington. Perhaps I'll give Philips another try.

By the way, I said that my first shaver was a Remington - that was nearly 55 years ago. The world has changed since then - perhaps I have also changed. Then, however, an electric shaver was an investment and could always be repaired. There were shaver repair shops in every business /high street. I said that my Remington had slotted heads - most American-made shavers had slotted heads those days. Foil heads counted as European.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your experiences. Somehow, I think I'll forget about Remington. Perhaps I'll give Philips another try.

By the way, I said that my first shaver was a Remington - that was nearly 55 years ago. The world has changed since then - perhaps I have also changed. Then, however, an electric shaver was an investment and could always be repaired. There were shaver repair shops in every business /high street. I said that my Remington had slotted heads - most American-made shavers had slotted heads those days. Foil heads counted as European.

Cheers,

Gauthier

The major manufacturers all have a return program (30 to 60 days generally - I believe Philips and Panasonic is 30 days, Braun is 60 days), where you can return the shaver, no questions asked. Certainly worth a try if you were inclined to experiment - the caveat being that to be effective you really need to shave exclusively with the shaver for at least a couple of weeks for your skin and beard to adapt. Electric shavers were meant to be used almost daily, and require a different technique from any blade or even other electrics. I alternate between blade, rotary and foil shavers, but have over 50 years experience using all of them, including SE, DE and carts (anything but straight, but I'm not crazy - or coordinated :adoration: ), and all have their place, but you can't beat the convenience, comfort and speed of an electric shave.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Yes, 55 years has been a long time. The Braun shavers, from Germany, was the first foil type shaver. All the others in the 1950s were slotted including the Phillips Norelco which had rotary blades under two sets of slotted round heads.

For reasons of trademark conflict Phillips shavers were sold in the U.S. under the name Norelco and Braun licensed their screen type shavers to the Ronson company who sold them under the Ronson name until the the mid 1970s. After Ronson stopped manufacturing them, they were imported from Germany under the name Eltron. Eventually the Braun and Phillips names were legal for them to use use in the U.S. market.

I’m not sure that either Phillips or Braun offer a 30 day or longer period of time to return the shaver for a full refund in Europe or the U.K. as they do here. I would ask before buying. If they don’t then ordering through Amazon gives you a 30 day no questions asked return policy on anything. Assuming that you are enjoying the pleasure of social distancing during this Corona-19 pandemic, then Amazon may be the best choice.

Some of the newer Remington foil shavers are considered to be good values.

The Remington XLR shavers from the 80's (I have a few) are actually good shavers, even if they are more aggressive than Braun. You can still get some parts for them, too.

You've anticipated my next question. I really like the nostalgic looks of the Heritage - it reminds me over the shavers I'd had previously.

Do any of the gentlemen have any experience with it?

Cheers,

Gauthier
according to google reviews it should shave quite well since it has a 4.6/5 rate. BTW i would prefer an andis profoil (black) to the remington

You've anticipated my next question. I really like the nostalgic looks of the Heritage - it reminds me over the shavers I'd had previously.

Do any of the gentlemen have any experience with it?

Cheers,

Gauthier

This looks like a “A Blast from the Past, a Golden Oldie”. However, it’s a modern foil shaver similar to other Remington foil shavers. The reviews on Amazon look good, but my previous experience with Remington foil shavers was not very good. You’re paying for the look of nostalgia in a modern shaver.

Cool nostalgia factor, and some modern technology - Li-Ion batteries for example - but some of the most recent reviews were not so glowing, mainly related to weight and size (does look pretty large, and the typical Remington "brick"), but also the shave. If you are a Remington fan and used to the form factor, this one might fit the bill. Not sure about Remington's return policy.

Recently came across my old Philips Philishave HQ6605 rotary. SWMBO bought it me I reckon 15bplus years ago after some hand surgery ment I could wet shave. I've charged it up and taken it for a spin this morning. Not BBS but and ok shave. Wont be in my rotation, but was good to use old tech.

Anyone here (reaching out to our UK and AUS members) have any experience with the Remington RX-5 rotary head shaver? It doesn't seem to be available in the US but it's getting rave reviews in the UK and AUS. It's basically the same concept as the skull shaver pitbull device (possibly why it's not available in the US) however all of the skull shaver models have a pretty bad reputation and I can say from personal experience they leave a patchy shave along with bad irritation and many reviews state the Remington variant fixes most of those problems to leave a smooth shave with minimal irritation while being a significantly cheaper device.

Anyone here (reaching out to our UK and AUS members) have any experience with the Remington RX-5 rotary head shaver? It doesn't seem to be available in the US but it's getting rave reviews in the UK and AUS. It's basically the same concept as the skull shaver pitbull device (possibly why it's not available in the US) however all of the skull shaver models have a pretty bad reputation and I can say from personal experience they leave a patchy shave along with bad irritation and many reviews state the Remington variant fixes most of those problems to leave a smooth shave with minimal irritation while being a significantly cheaper device.
i used it last december at my brother's home (i was caught without any razor) BUT for shaving my beard -not my head. And my experience was ...well it was basically a face-mangling garbage. But then again i didn't use it for what it was built for so just take my "review" with a grain of salt. ymmv

In looking at new electric shavers, I get the impression that Philips has gotten away from their "lift and cut" gimmick. I certainly hope so. It didn't work out well for me. Does anyone have more specific information?

In looking at new electric shavers, I get the impression that Philips has gotten away from their "lift and cut" gimmick. I certainly hope so. It didn't work out well for me. Does anyone have more specific information?

Depends on the shaver, but Norelco's new SH90/72 heads (like those in their 9000 Series) use their V-Track technology, which is not the standard Norelco "lift and cut." The SH98/70 heads (for 9000 Prestige shavers) use a completely different cutting system as well, also not "lift and cut." Both use a more traditional straight cutting technology, and both seem to provide a closer and more comfortable shave, for me, than historic Norelco rotaries.

Top Bottom