What's new

The Electric razor thread

I like the Panasonic shavers. They give smooth and close shaves. The more you pay the better the shave. With their design you do not need a cleaning station That takes up counter top space which I do not have.

for me the rotaries do provide a close comfortable shave.

In looking at new electric shavers, I get the impression that Philips has gotten away from their "lift and cut" gimmick. I certainly hope so. It didn't work out well for me. Does anyone have more specific information?

I’m assuming that you are currently using a Phillips shaver or has used one in the past. Have you tried a screen type shaver such as a Braun or Panasonic? All the newest shavers have improved their technology and provide close comfortable shaves. Tell us more about your shaving routine and we might be able to help you better.

I didn't shave my head or face for the last several days and it was starting to drive me crazy. Lopped off the bulk with my new Wahl balding clippers, slapped some lectric shave on my face first then rubbed the excess into my head and pulled out my Braun series 3 and went to town. Since I frequently use it for both head and face shaving I can start to sense a bit of premature wear in the foil cutters at about 6-7 months now but still... Effortless near BBS with no irritation or redness. Very nice comfortable shave. The pop up trimmer lined up my moustache nicely as well.

I didn't shave my head or face for the last several days and it was starting to drive me crazy. Lopped off the bulk with my new Wahl balding clippers, slapped some lectric shave on my face first then rubbed the excess into my head and pulled out my Braun series 3 and went to town. Since I frequently use it for both head and face shaving I can start to sense a bit of premature wear in the foil cutters at about 6-7 months now but still... Effortless near BBS with no irritation or redness. Very nice comfortable shave. The pop up trimmer lined up my moustache nicely as well.

I’m curious, what are the indications that the foil or the cutters or both are wearing prematurely?

I’m curious, what are the indications that the foil or the cutters or both are wearing prematurely?

I notice it missing longer hairs more then before (we've shared alot of back and forth about that previously so I don't need to go too deep on that aspect again) and I can feel it 'bog down' a little on my really dense growth areas like the back of my head. Not that it's uncomfortable nor unusable by any stretch if the imagination but I do notice it taking longer then before to get as smooth as well as find more spots that could use a touch up (usually an hour later when I'm driving around for work, guess it's time I buy an M90 for the car lol).

All in all I still say the Braun series 3 proskin is a fantastic product line especially when you can get one with the cleaning station for under $100. I just honestly ask too much from it so I'm not surprised nor upset about what can be considered premature wear. I've got very thick hair, very dense growth, and shave both my head and face every 1-2 days usually, that's alot of hair haha.

I’m assuming that you are currently using a Phillips shaver or has used one in the past. Have you tried a screen type shaver such as a Braun or Panasonic? All the newest shavers have improved their technology and provide close comfortable shaves. Tell us more about your shaving routine and we might be able to help you better.

Thank you indeed for your interest. I currently have two Panasonic shavers. I bought them because they have stainless steel heads. About four years ago, when I still shaved with Philips/Norelco, I woke up one morning to find my face terribly inflamed. I had to stop shaving for a few days, until it cleared up. I thought it might be due to the rotary heads containing nickel, and junked the two Philips shavers. (This is just as well - one shaver used the HQ9 heads, which are no longer available, and were rather ineffective - they were a loser!)

I have the Panasonic models ES-RT67 and ES-LF51 (In the States, Panasonic probably sells eqivalent models). I bought the first, the cheaper of the two, because of a very positive rating in a Swiss consumer program. After four years, it is still going strong - I replaced the heads once. I bought the second, more expensive shaver because it was marked down as a discontinued model. After two years, it is beginning to fail. Although I nearly always shave until the batteries are completely discharged, a charge lasts only a very short time now. I was thinking of having it repaired, but this seems to be prohibitively expensive. Panasonic also gave me a dopey answer when I filled out the contact form on their website - I wouldn't stick any more money into it.

Some years ago, I had a corded Braun Vario 3 shaver, which had lasted at least 15 years, and which I really liked. I tried to have it repaired, both at an independent shaver shop, and by a Braun service center. Both said that there were no more replacement parts for it. Braun used to claim that they could repair every model they'd ever made - beginning with the first model from the early 'fifties. So much for Braun.

At present, I am toying with the idea of a new Philips. I could get one relatively cheaply with coupons (20 points and 50 Euros, which works out to be cheaper than Amazon).

I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Cheers,
Gauthier

Last edited:
Panasonic makes great shavers, with the Arc 5 line being the top models. The Arc 3 and 4 shavers are not bad either, with slightly smaller heads. Panasonics are noted for their closeness, partly because of thinner foils and partly due to higher speeds (14,000 cpm). They're also noted for their potential for razor burn, for the same reasons, so require a lighter touch. Probably the easiest to manually clean as well if you prefer not using a cleaning station because of their separate cutters and foils, and relatively simple construction. I would rate their cleaning stations behind both Norelco and Braun, but only because of the need to mix the solution. Just as effective cleaning, and maybe slightly cheaper to operate.

The new Philips shavers are their best in my opinion, and they have a large variety. You didn't mention the model, but I use the 7000 Series, 9000 Series and Prestige, and they're all great shavers. The new SH90/72 and SH98/72 are probably the best heads they've made (again my opinion), and are capable of providing a shave almost as close as the best foils. Their cleaning stations are also among the best, and probably needed more with these shavers just because of the complexity of the heads and delicate construction. Rotary shavers aren't for everyone, and you need to give your face time to adapt, but top tier shavers.

The most comfortable electrics are probably the Braun Series 7 (old model) and Series 9 (90XX, 92XX, 93XX), and are also capable of giving a great close shave, ahead of Philips but behind the Pannys in closeness. Their cleaning stations are also the best in my opinion, but the costliest to operate, although their Clean & Renew cartridges will fit in any station they ever made.

Last edited:
I have an old Norelco Reflex 6 shaver. I use it to shave my ears and nose! Still works good for an occasional shave too. Replaced the blades a few years back.

I powered up my old corded Philips with the lift and cut blades yesterday.
Cheapest model I could buy back in 2008 so it is "old" and the shave was pretty close.
A little closer than my 7000 series but the comfort level was really low with the lift and cut blades.
So although my old corded one and my 7000 series are in different price segments I have to agree that the new Philips shavers are the best and better than the old lift and cut. With the 7710 I have now I am done shaving in 2 minutes with touch ups and with all the flat laying hairs gone. I do also love wet shaving with soap and brush etc. but being on parental leave with a one year old that wakes up at 5 it is very nice to get done shaving quick. Buys me some internet time before mum leave for work. :)

Your shaves take longer, and you might suffer some razor burn from having to go back over areas on your face repeatedly.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Yes, this. I'm not facing irritation fortunately but I do find myself going back over areas a few extra times, find more missed hairs in general, and feel a slight tugging on very heavy growth areas (like the back of my head). The final result is still fine but getting there takes a bit more effort and attention.

Yes, this. I'm not facing irritation fortunately but I do find myself going back over areas a few extra times, find more missed hairs in general, and feel a slight tugging on very heavy growth areas (like the back of my head). The final result is still fine but getting there takes a bit more effort and attention.

Yes, all of those are symptoms and indications of worn cutters. Having to press harder to get a close shave with a screen type shaver puts unusual stress on the curved foil resulting in a crack or a hole. I’ve had this happen with the screens of a Remington shaver that I stopped using more than six years ago. If this happens the cutter will nick your face resulting is a nasty cut. This Remington model was the first washable shaver that I owned. However, the cutters would corrode from the water because I rinsed the head daily after shaving. The cutters dulled very quickly and I was replacing them about every five to six weeks which was ridiculous. I replaced that shaver with a Panasonic ES8103. The Panasonic cutters and screens lasted five years because of the stainless steel material of the cutters and screens they never corroded regardless that I washed the shaver head weekly.

Remington’s owner’s manual, nor did their customer service representative, recommend drying the head separately after rinsing. Nor did they recommended applying light machine oil to the screens, as described in Braun’s owner’s manual. Panasonic doesn’t require, nor recommends either process because of the stainless steel materials.

Since buying my Braun 7893s shaver a year ago, I have not rinsed it with water nor applied any oil to the screens. I decided to go old school just as I did with my previous plug in Braun shavers that I’ve owned since I started using them in about 1972. After more than year using my Braun shaver, the shaves I’m receiving are excellent and without any irritation.

My experiences have convinced me that shaving wet, using a cleaning station or washing your shaver with water is unnecessary and doesn’t do anything to improve the closeness or quality of the shaves. Also, the shaver does just fine by just brushing out the cuttings daily.

Yes, all of those are symptoms and indications of worn cutters. Having to press harder to get a close shave with a screen type shaver puts unusual stress on the curved foil resulting in a crack or a hole. I’ve had this happen with the screens of a Remington shaver that I stopped using more than six years ago. If this happens the cutter will nick your face resulting is a nasty cut. This Remington model was the first washable shaver that I owned. However, the cutters would corrode from the water because I rinsed the head daily after shaving. The cutters dulled very quickly and I was replacing them about every five to six weeks which was ridiculous. I replaced that shaver with a Panasonic ES8103. The Panasonic cutters and screens lasted five years because of the stainless steel material of the cutters and screens they never corroded regardless that I washed the shaver head weekly.

Remington’s owner’s manual, nor did their customer service representative, recommend drying the head separately after rinsing. Nor did they recommended applying light machine oil to the screens, as described in Braun’s owner’s manual. Panasonic doesn’t require, nor recommends either process because of the stainless steel materials.

Since buying my Braun 7893s shaver a year ago, I have not rinsed it with water nor applied any oil to the screens. I decided to go old school just as I did with my previous plug in Braun shavers that I’ve owned since I started using them in about 1972. After more than year using my Braun shaver, the shaves I’m receiving are excellent and without any irritation.

My experiences have convinced me that shaving wet, using a cleaning station or washing your shaver with water is unnecessary and doesn’t do anything to improve the closeness or quality of the shaves. Also, the shaver does just fine by just brushing out the cuttings daily.

I'm just curious, what kind of climate do you live in and do you consider your skin more dry or oily? I've got pretty oily skin and live in a very humid climate so for my shaver gets gross pretty quick. Just curious if that has anything to do with it.

I'm just curious, what kind of climate do you live in and do you consider your skin more dry or oily? I've got pretty oily skin and live in a very humid climate so for my shaver gets gross pretty quick. Just curious if that has anything to do with it.

I live in Dallas Texas, which in the summer is both hot and humid. However, we have central air conditioning which takes care of both. I have dry skin which doesn’t require me to use any preshave preparation. I just get out of bed, use the bathroom and then shave before I wash my face or showering. However, when I was young and I was shaving in warm and humid environments and had oily skin, I applied an electric shaver pre-shave powder which both dried and lubricated my skin. The powder was easily brushed out of the cutter and head along with the clippings. Some members here are very happy using liquid pre-shave, but I didn’t like the feel of it on my face nor the drying results and stayed with the powder. Eventually, with central air conditioning I didn’t need any pre-shave.

Here’s some pre-shave powders and liquids:

Last edited:
Just a heads up, most (if not all) Braun electric razors have an additional $10 off coupon on Amazon right now. This can be stacked on a current sale price as well.

For example, I'm about to get (finally decided on it) a new series 6 6072cc for $89.99 when it's normally $119.99!

Just a heads up, most (if not all) Braun electric razors have an additional $10 off coupon on Amazon right now. This can be stacked on a current sale price as well.

For example, I'm about to get (finally decided on it) a new series 6 6072cc for $89.99 when it's normally $119.99!

Thanks for the heads up. Probably the two times a year that electric shaver sales go up is Christmas and Father’s Day. Amazon is very smart to run a sale now for Father’s Day. Not every store is open due to the pandemic and receiving a new shaver would be a great gift.

I use a variety of aftershaves, including alcohol splashes, non-alcohol and balms.
Thank you for fast reply. I'm asking because many sites recommend non-alcohol ones and balms. I was wondering if there is any research backing that. Also many people around me that use electric don't use anykind of AS.
After I use up my batch of disposable razors and double edge razors I think I will go only electric for some time, but I do not want to stop using good quality alcohol aftershaves.

Anyone uses alcohol based aftershave with electric razor?

I have and still occasionally do but my skin (and my wife's picky nose) really likes just plain witch hazel so that's pretty much the only thing I use. If you use an electric then 'fancy' aftershaves are one of the only ways to have variety (unless you have a rotation of Electrics and/or use brush and soap) so go for it! The whole 'use a balm' thing is a blanket statement as most people need added moisture in their regimen. I on the other hand have oily skin and need to be dried out. Use what works best for you when you blade shave.

Top Bottom