What's new

Keto

Hello,
I am in no way a qualified nutritionist, nor do I want to sell any specific product or push a certain diet. I would like to merely share my two cents. Do take my advise as what it is: a comment on a forum about wet-shaving.

I have been privately studying nutrition for a couple of years and what I learned from nutritional science are the following generalisations.

What does not really matter:
- focusing on exact proportion of macronutrients, ratio between proteins, fat, carbohydrates (e.g. 50% carbs, 30% protein..).
- focusing on exact quantity of micronutrients (e.g. 1000mg calcium, 500mg vitamin c...)
- focusing on what people ate during a specific time in the past (e.g. paleolithic period, mesolithic period..)

What does really matter:
- processed vs. unprocessed food. The less processed the better, go for whole foods.
e.g. Cooked grains > whole bread > white bread.
- animal protein vs. plant protein. ALL nutrients (except vitamin D, which actually is a hormone) come from the soil/plants. Animal protein has nutrients plus unwanted properties (IGF1, cholesterol, saturated fat ecc). Go for plants directly and cut out the middle man.
- circadian rhythm/time of eating - relatively new science indicates that focusing most calorie absorption during breakfast and lunch is ideal for the human body and does help with weight loss.
- focus on actual foods. We shoud eat apples, potatoes, beans, grains etc. we should not eat 30% protein or 100mg iron. Most of the time supplements are useless, sometimes even harmful.

- processed vs. unprocessed food. The less processed the better, go for whole foods.
e.g. Cooked grains > whole bread > white bread.

Exactly. Be wary of anything with a label. READ those labels and know how much sugar, msg, vegetable oil and other harmful ingredients you are ingesting. Know that they can show zero (0) if it's .5g or less.

- animal protein vs. plant protein. ALL nutrients (except vitamin D, which actually is a hormone) come from the soil/plants. Animal protein has nutrients plus unwanted properties (IGF1, cholesterol, saturated fat ecc). Go for plants directly and cut out the middle man.

Nope. Eating cholesterol has nothing to do with your annual check-up cholesterol reading. Saturated fat is good for you. The government's low fat diet has caused the type 2 diabetes / obesity epidemic. By recommending low fat, this increased the amount of carbs people eat and raised insulin levels, which leads to nothing good.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

- circadian rhythm/time of eating - relatively new science indicates that focusing most calorie absorption during breakfast and lunch is ideal for the human body and does help with weight loss.

Time-restricted eating (TRE) is extending the fast from the last meal of the day until your first meal the next day. Compress your eating schedule and let your body burn fat instead of storing fat. Skip a meal at the ends - breakfast or dinner. If you are a night owl, skip breakfast. A morning lark - skip dinner. Every now and then, OMAD (one meal a day). No matter what you eat, TRE will improve your health. But, if you combine TRE with Keto, this one two punch will reverse insulin resistance and you'll probably not need many of the meds you are prescribed.

- focus on actual foods. We shoud eat apples, potatoes, beans, grains etc. we should not eat 30% protein or 100mg iron. Most of the time supplements are useless, sometimes even harmful.

Since this is a Keto thread, most of those ^ are high in carbs and there are better choices to keep your insulin levels down. Many who do Keto are due to problems that they are trying to solve (type 2 diabetes, obesity, truncal fat, high blood pressure, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, cancer, the list goes on...).

Last edited:
Nope. Eating cholesterol has nothing to do with your annual check-up cholesterol reading. Saturated fat is good for you. The government's low fat diet has caused the type 2 diabetes / obesity epidemic. By recommending low fat, this increased the amount of carbs people eat and raised insulin levels, which leads to nothing good.

Time-restricted eating (TRE).
I cannot comment on TRE since I have not done any research on this topic.

About saturated fat being good for you I shall comment:
The science consensus is that saturated fat leads to an increase of LDL Cholesterol which is causally linked to artherosclerosis.

The science consensus is that saturated fat leads to an increase of LDL Cholesterol which is causally linked to artherosclerosis.
Nope. Eat your fatty steak without worry. Dive into pork belly and bacon with gusto. Butcher: don't trip that fat off my pork chops. Fat equals flavor and nutrients.

The high LDL that doctors warn of has been superseded by large particle LDL (good) and small particle LDL (bad) - which does not show on the standard test that everyone gets.

The recommendation to cut saturated fat was based on no scientific human studies - back in 1977, when McGovern's subcommittee Dietary Guidelines report - which started the whole government low fat craze and spread world wide, as did the type 2 diabetes and obesity epidemics.

There are really only three main macronutrients: Fat, Carbohydrates, and Protein. By cutting fat, everyone increased carbs with resultant bad health effects.

The Odious Dietary Guidelines 1977 – Hormonal Obesity II Dr. Jason Fung

Saturated Fat: Part of a Healthy Diet. 9-2018 [ ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ ]

excerpt:

There appears to be no consistent benefit to all-cause or CVD mortality from the reduction of dietary saturated fat. Further, saturated fat has been shown in some cases to have an inverse relationship with obesity-related type 2 diabetes. Rather than focus on a single nutrient, the overall diet quality and elimination of processed foods, including simple carbohydrates, would likely do more to improve CVD and overall health. It is in the best interest of the American public to clarify dietary guidelines to recognize that dietary saturated fat is not the villain we once thought it was.

A systematic review of the effect of dietary saturated and polyunsaturated fat on heart disease. 12-27-17 [ ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ ]

excerpt:

CONCLUSIONS:
Reducing saturated fat and replacing it with carbohydrate will not lower CHD events or CVD mortality although it will reduce total mortality. Replacing saturated fat with PUFA, MUFA or high-quality carbohydrate will lower CHD events.

Saturated fat, carbohydrate, and cardiovascular disease. 3-2010

A focus of dietary recommendations for cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention and treatment has been a reduction in saturated fat intake, primarily as a means of lowering LDL-cholesterol concentrations. However, the evidence that supports a reduction in saturated fat intake must be evaluated in the context of replacement by other macronutrients. Clinical trials that replaced saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat have generally shown a reduction in CVD events, although several studies showed no effects. An independent association of saturated fat intake with CVD risk has not been consistently shown in prospective epidemiologic studies, although some have provided evidence of an increased risk in young individuals and in women. Replacement of saturated fat by polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat lowers both LDL and HDL cholesterol. However, replacement with a higher carbohydrate intake, particularly refined carbohydrate, can exacerbate the atherogenic dyslipidemia associated with insulin resistance and obesity that includes increased triglycerides, small LDL particles, and reduced HDL cholesterol. In summary, although substitution of dietary polyunsaturated fat for saturated fat has been shown to lower CVD risk, there are few epidemiologic or clinical trial data to support a benefit of replacing saturated fat with carbohydrate. Furthermore, particularly given the differential effects of dietary saturated fats and carbohydrates on concentrations of larger and smaller LDL particles, respectively, dietary efforts to improve the increasing burden of CVD risk associated with atherogenic dyslipidemia should primarily emphasize the limitation of refined carbohydrate intakes and a reduction in excess adiposity.

NCBI National Center for Biotechnology Information
NLM National Library of Medicine
NIH National Institutes of Health

Last edited:
I don't eat breakfast at breakfast. I eat breakfast at lunch or dinner.

My breakfast consists of Keto Coffee and f I want say breakfast food then like you I have it as one of my other meals, currently I’m doing a 16/8 intermittent fasting routine and it’s working well for me, I’m not exactly a hard fast Keto follower as I don’t keep my net carbs under 20 everyday but I do try to keep them around 30 and even then I go to 40 sometimes but usually when I hit the high carbs I don’t feel well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't eat breakfast at breakfast. I eat breakfast at lunch or dinner.

1582907965346.png

I cannot comment on TRE since I have not done any research on this topic.

Good place to start:

Most of us who are committed to keto and have done a significant amount of investigation as a result tend to be of the mindset that:
  • the "scientific consensus" is as often wrong as it is right, and in terms of dietary advice, it has been on a roll for decades of giving actually BAD advice. Ancel Keys and his ilk got us all eating low-fat-high-carb for decades ... and the results are staggeringly bad.
  • "studies" that link meat and/or saturated fat to health problems are riddled with problems ... usually it's a high-carb-high-meat diet that is being studied, basically linking a hamburger/hot dog diet to those problems.
  • "the cholesterol problem" is really a refined carb problem ... it's the inflammation caused by the carbs that the cholesterol is helping repair. (There's a lot more to it than that.)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Shepherds pie with faux cauliflower mashed potatoes. The bomber bomb. Some of the best food I've made on B&B not counting Texas Red chili.

20200302_184257.jpg
20200302_191120.jpg
20200302_185558.jpg

Or maybe post the recipe... Or can I take my favorite shepherds pie recipe and just swap out the spuds for riced cauliflower?

I have found that when making other dishes designed to be over pasta or rice with cauliflower I often need to adjust the liquid because the cauliflower doesn't absorb as much as rice/pasta.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Can you PM me that recipe kind Sir, that looks delicious
I'm away from my PC where the recipe is saved. I got the recipe from the Food Network show the Kitchen. It's not keto...I Substituted potatoes with cauliflower. When I get back I'll send you a copy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Or maybe post the recipe... Or can I take my favorite shepherds pie recipe and just swap out the spuds for riced cauliflower?

I have found that when making other dishes designed to be over pasta or rice with cauliflower I often need to adjust the liquid because the cauliflower doesn't absorb as much as rice/pasta.
Yeah, just substitute for cauliflower. I jazz the cauliflower up with garlic powder, cream cheese and butter.

Top Bottom