What's new

Keto

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Toast some grated hard cheese (Monterey Jack) in the oven and use them as chips
Have never done it.
Just thinking out loud

One helpful hint my co-worker shared with me; if you're counting carbs on Keto, you can subtract the fiber grams from the total grams of carbs.

This should help: What Are Net Carbs?

Anyway my main question is are there any store available nacho chips that are carb friendly, don’t want to try making chips but love nachos so looking for options

I like non-flavored pork rinds. Zero carbs, check the ingredients though. Some have dextrose whathaveyou. I like to dip them on sour cream.

Ive come to the point where I dont really stress about the carbs too much....for about 2 years I kept it strictly at about
20nett per day....nowadays it could go to about 50-60 on some days...which means I may not be in ketosis most times...no problem....weight is still where I want it....if I want to lose more I'll tighten up on the carbs.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It’s pretty hard for me to keep my carbs in check.... those that are hard and fast Keto ppl say under 20 carbs per day but I have a super hard time with that so I’ve been like 40-50 so is that going to work ?

That might work.

Where do you have the most trouble cutting out carbs? Maybe we can help with suggestions.

@Doc4 I think it’s the hidden carbs, I try and track my food intake the best I can and not so much for calories but to keep carbs in check and they add up a lot faster than I would like to, I don’t go hungry at all and have even mixed in intermittent fasting lie the 16/8 thing and still don’t get hungry but I so miss nacho chips, bread, rice etc... but am learning to make changes.

Currently I am doing on average about 35 net carbs a day but several times I have hit 50 but not that many times, the more I do this low carb keto thing the more I like it as I’m a meat and cheese guy but also like the the taters and rice so trying to find alternatives.

I would like some input on pizza crust, I took the leap today and made some Fathead pizza dough and pretty simple but calorie count is pretty high since it’s made with almond flour but carb count is low, anyway when getting what I needed for the fathead dough I came across these premade crusts Traditional Italian Crusts - https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections/pizza-crusts/products/traditional-italian-crusts and these are not only low carb but low calorie so am I missing something, the fathead dough if I figured it right is 180 calories per slice ( dough only ) and the cauliflower foods is 35 per slice ( dough only )

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
input on pizza crust
The "fathead" crust (mostly almond flour and cheese) is a good option to make at home but with high calories.

The cauliflower options are basically all pre-made to buy from a store. The big issue is checking the ingredients and macros for too many carbs and nasty chemicals. Hopefully you can find a good one.

The pizza crust recipe I was given was 2 cups grated cauliflower, 2 cups grated cheese, 2 eggs. Mix and form into shape, bake in oven at 400+ for a bit then add toppings (be frugal with toppings)...

Tonight was not pizza . SWMBO brought home scallops on sale so it was scallops, spinach garlic and butter. Yum. Oh, my personal cheat was a glass of wine to go wash it down.

My goal for tomorrow is to figure out what to do with some wild caught salmon. Then on friday I need to do something interesting with shrimp.

Ruckin (not suffering very much)

Just tryed zoodles with pesto an strips of steak was quite good, I expected it to tast like poo but I was wrong.

The "fathead" crust (mostly almond flour and cheese) is a good option to make at home but with high calories.

The cauliflower options are basically all pre-made to buy from a store. The big issue is checking the ingredients and macros for too many carbs and nasty chemicals. Hopefully you can find a good one.

@Doc4 here the ingredients for the cauli crust, do you see anything bad.

thanks

BTW ..... I do like the Fathead dough but the Mrs is watching calories so looking for an alternative

5D0832FA-176F-484C-85B2-FF6F0D6C4C9F.png

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I read the whole article. It's not rocket scientist that eating too many carbs will spike your blood sugar to a point of no bueno. Hamburger buns, pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, potato chips. And for diabetics much worse. For the average person...don't them either. What's the first thing the Plains Indians ate (not modern tribes) killing a buffalo? What's the first thing the Inuit tribe ate after killing a whale or a walrus? They ate the fat first. Why? Because it was energy. They had no access to carbs like wheat, barley, corn out on the tundra. Some of the most healthy people in the world world eat lots of fat and limited carbs. Look at the Italian diet(a very healthy people) You'd think they eat pasta at every meal. No, they eat pasta at a low to moderate level mixed with a gigantic amount of veggies, fruit and fish.

Last edited:
I have found that is I go much over 30-40 carbs a day I feel sluggish and don’t feel well, on days where I consume around 20-25 I feel so much better.

I’m still working to get them down to 20-25 all the time and the more I do it the more I learn

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I love cauliflower as a potato substitute. It's so dadgum tasty and has a great texture. I recall a faux potato salad with cauliflower that was amazing.
Doak, I missed this one you posted. Tater salad runs in my veins. Can you possibly recall a recipe?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Doak, I missed this one you posted. Tater salad runs in my veins. Can you possibly recall a recipe?

I don't have one, really. When I asked the hostess about it, she said that she just straight substituted cauliflower for the potatoes. Nothing more than that.

I've yet to try it (I'm sorry to say), so I can't give more insight. It might be a good time to fix that!

Top Bottom