What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Looks like you have enough to have variety the whole time.

For at least the 4 year. After that, the variety will diminish exponentially. That’s fine as I will eventually get down to just using Williams anyways.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

As for the Artisian Soap Shoppe is this a new company?

They have been around for a couple of years. They are based out of ST Louis. I found them through WCS. I think she has banned off of shave soap for the time being and seems to be concentrating on other soaps from looking at her Facebook page. They did open a B&M storefront last year too so that’s promising.

Those are also 6oz tubs and seem to last forever themselves.

I forgot about these. With the Dorco’s I have left, I will get past a year with what I have in stock. I can get 14-21 shaves per cart on my head only.

proxy.php

I decided to use my open stick of Arko today, what a rich creamy lather and a very close shave. I forgot how good this was. Makes me wish I had purchased more before I started down this road. We'll have to see how long 2 sticks last.

I decided to use my open stick of Arko today, what a rich creamy lather and a very close shave. I forgot how good this was. Makes me wish I had purchased more before I started down this road. We'll have to see how long 2 sticks last.

You still have until midnight Jan 14 to buy.

As promised, here is my inventory:

Blades:

Gillette 7 o’clock yellow – 195
Astra Super Platinum – 80
Croma Diamant – 4+1 in use
Ladas Super Stainless – 5
Rapira Platinum Lux – 3
Vidyut Super Max Super Stainless – 6
Voskhod – 4
Rapira Sweedish Super Steel – 5
Gillette Silver Blue – 4
Treet -8
Big Ben Super Stainless – 5
Polsilver SI – 4
Feather Hi Stainless – 4
Shark SS – 4
Rapira Super Stainless – 10
Lord Super Stainless – 10
Lord Super Chrome – 5
Rapira Stainless – 5
Astra Super Stainless – 4
Rockwell Razors – 5
Gillette Platinum – 1
Dorco ST300 – 9
Gillette Super Stainless – 5
Derby – 3
No label: 5

Soaps (Unused):
Hasslinger Salvia – 1
Hasslinger Sea Weed – 1
Arko Stick – 2
Cella Extra Extra Purissima: aprox 150g
Proraso red – 1
Tabac stick – 1
La Toja stick – 7
Lea Stick – 1

Soaps (Opened):
MWF – 75%
Proraso white: 75%
Wilkinson Sword: 25%
Proraso red: 30%
Hasslinger Goat Milk: 1/3
Cella Extra Extraa Purisima, in a big plastic tub
Arko stick: aprox 3 mashed in a tub

Shaving Creams (unopened):
D’amaris 60g
Palmolive 65g
Lea 40g
Plant Activ 65g
La Toja 150g
Lea 150g
TOBS

Shaving Creams (opened):
Lea 150g ½
La Toja 150g 95%
Williams Expert 95%
D’amaris Royal

Foam Cans:
Gillete – 1

After Shave (New):
L’Homme balm – 1
Myrsol Emulsion – 1
Plant Activ lotion – 1
Plant Activ balm – 1
Musgo Real Oak Moss – 1
Tarr – 1
Aqua Velva – 1
Pitralon – 1
Old Spice Original – 1

After Shave (Opened):
Leonté Homme ½
Floyd Mentolado Vigoroso 75%
Old Spice Original (maybe 75%)
Pitralon – almost full
Deliplus Aloe Vera gel: 50%
Deliplus Sea Weed: 150ml
Tarr: 100ml
Pashana Bay Rum: 100ml
West Indies Bay Rum: 100ml
Musgo Real: aprox 40ml
Cien Men : 2/3
Massimo Dutti Sport balm: ½
Str8 AS lotion ½, could’t find it but must be somewhere

Brushes:
Wilkinson Boar
Omega 49 red handle
Omega 49 black handle
Vie Long boar+horse hair
Vie Long horse hair
RazoRock 400 noir
Synthetic, aluminium handle

Shaving Bowls:
Staainless Steel – 2
Ceramic – 1

DE Razors:
Rockwell 6S
Fatip Picollo
Edwin Jagger
A Chinese razor somehow like a Gillette Tech, I hate it, hope to lose it on a trip

Straight Razors, shave ready:
Thiers Issard Oakwing, horn handle – favorite
GD66 – 2
Adams Microtome
M. Jung New York no. 80
Iberia Lujo #13

Straight Razors to be restored / sharpened:
Too many, including WB, Filarmonica, etc etc
Favourite: J. Bingham, aprox 1825

Strops, sharpening stones, etc etc.
Witch hazel - aprox 2 liters.

Last edited:
What I have should last me a lot. My favorite brush until now is a small synthetic, it needs only a small quantity of soap/cream to make enough lather for 3 passes (I also have a goatee and a moustache, so less area to cover). I'm not sure but at least for the 4 years challenge I should be okay with the soaps and creams I have.
Regarding the blades, I'm even less worried. My favorites are te Astra SP (I have 80) and the Gillette yellows (195). I can use one of them for about 100 shaves if I want and they are still smooth, so even if I use a blade/month I should be set.

I started the year with some gear I like less, hoping to get rid of them. The Wilkinson Sword soap (mediocre lather), the Wilkinson Sword boar brush and an un-tested blade (Croma Diamant) in the Rockwell 6S, followed by a gel after shave with aloe vera.
Not very satisfying, the lather is nothing to write home about, and the blade is less sharp and less smooth than my usuals. It isn't the best combination, I could have used a better brush to compensate the mediocre soap, but I decided to go ahead like it is. My father didn't had so many choices and I'm sure his gear was inferior, but I don't remember him complaining, so I can do the same, at least until I finish the soap. This makes me more aware of preparation and it could be a good thing.

I like the idea, but not in. I buy to replace already with my only hardware addition in several years being a shavette. THBS, I have Personna DE blades (over 10 years worth), GEM SE blades (probably 10 years worth) and Feather AC Pro shavette blades (maybe 2 years worth, maybe less). I use only one flavor of Mike’s soaps, and only 1 aftershave, so buy to replace is easy on those, but I don’t want to have to wait til I am out of all blades to replace a type of blade and I don’t want to purchase 10 years of shavette blades in advance.

I like the idea, but not in. I buy to replace already with my only hardware addition in several years being a shavette. THBS, I have Personna DE blades (over 10 years worth), GEM SE blades (probably 10 years worth) and Feather AC Pro shavette blades (maybe 2 years worth, maybe less). I use only one flavor of Mike’s soaps, and only 1 aftershave, so buy to replace is easy on those, but I don’t want to have to wait til I am out of all blades to replace a type of blade and I don’t want to purchase 10 years of shavette blades in advance.

Nice to see you drop in. These restraints aren't for everyone.

What I have should last me a lot. My favorite brush until now is a small synthetic, it needs only a small quantity of soap/cream to make enough lather for 3 passes (I also have a goatee and a moustache, so less area to cover). I'm not sure but at least for the 4 years challenge I should be okay with the soaps and creams I have.
Regarding the blades, I'm even less worried. My favorites are te Astra SP (I have 80) and the Gillette yellows (195). I can use one of them for about 100 shaves if I want and they are still smooth, so even if I use a blade/month I should be set.

I started the year with some gear I like less, hoping to get rid of them. The Wilkinson Sword soap (mediocre lather), the Wilkinson Sword boar brush and an un-tested blade (Croma Diamant) in the Rockwell 6S, followed by a gel after shave with aloe vera.
Not very satisfying, the lather is nothing to write home about, and the blade is less sharp and less smooth than my usuals. It isn't the best combination, I could have used a better brush to compensate the mediocre soap, but I decided to go ahead like it is. My father didn't had so many choices and I'm sure his gear was inferior, but I don't remember him complaining, so I can do the same, at least until I finish the soap. This makes me more aware of preparation and it could be a good thing.

I've read all of your posts in the Excalibur Club. Well, I've read all of everyone's posts in the Excalibur club. Yours stand out as giving great information about the blades you tested.

I only use the Astra SP, so we have one blade in common.

I've read all of your posts in the Excalibur Club. Well, I've read all of everyone's posts in the Excalibur club. Yours stand out as giving great information about the blades you tested.

I only use the Astra SP, so we have one blade in common.

Thanks! The Excalibur thread is an interesting read. I'm not saying everybody should push a blade for as long as possible, but trying to use the same blade for more shaves opened my eyes about the importance of a good prep, good technique etc. Is nice to see that with a simple change of angle the same blade can go from 10 shaves to 20, and the face feels better. Then a change in soap, or brush etc brings again more improvement. In my case, the overall shaving experience got a lot better when I tried to use a blade for more than 2-3 times as I did at the begining, when I was throwing away the blades before they were even "broken in".

Astra SP were my first blades, I bought 100 of them in 2016, with my EJ razor. They were great, even if the razor didn't made me completely happy and I still have 80 of them (my wife used more than me, haha). Then I bought a lot of other blades to test. The Gillettes I have are all good, the yellows are a bit sharper than Astra for me. The others probably won't be replaced when they are gone, but I still have some unopened packs that may provide a surprise. But I'll be ok with using only Astra SP or Gillette 7 o'clock yellow forever, great blades for me and good value too.

I feel I have too much equipment. Not bad, but now I think how you use something is more important than what you use, so this restraint is a good opportunity to simplify, I look forward for the time when I'll have less choices. Still not decided about soaps and creams, but I'll have time to make up my mind until everything I have runs off.

Thanks! The Excalibur thread is an interesting read. I'm not saying everybody should push a blade for as long as possible, but trying to use the same blade for more shaves opened my eyes about the importance of a good prep, good technique etc. Is nice to see that with a simple change of angle the same blade can go from 10 shaves to 20, and the face feels better. Then a change in soap, or brush etc brings again more improvement. In my case, the overall shaving experience got a lot better when I tried to use a blade for more than 2-3 times as I did at the begining, when I was throwing away the blades before they were even "broken in".

Astra SP were my first blades, I bought 100 of them in 2016, with my EJ razor. They were great, even if the razor didn't made me completely happy and I still have 80 of them (my wife used more than me, haha). Then I bought a lot of other blades to test. The Gillettes I have are all good, the yellows are a bit sharper than Astra for me. The others probably won't be replaced when they are gone, but I still have some unopened packs that may provide a surprise. But I'll be ok with using only Astra SP or Gillette 7 o'clock yellow forever, great blades for me and good value too.

I feel I have too much equipment. Not bad, but now I think how you use something is more important than what you use, so this restraint is a good opportunity to simplify, I look forward for the time when I'll have less choices. Still not decided about soaps and creams, but I'll have time to make up my mind until everything I have runs off.

EXCALIBUR CLUB

I feel a sense of kinship with the Knights of the Excalibur Club. The official heritage dates back to late 2014, but many of the members were brothers before that.

There is something special about loyalty to our blades and helping them achieve their full potential. If it were just numbers, it would be nothing. As we both know, a blade doesn't get good until later in its life. In a way, they are much like people.

The first blade in the Excalibur Club taken over 100 was in March 2015. Now, like the space program, century blades are common. More importantly, century blades are giving BBSs.

When I see "Excalibur Club" in someone's signature, I know they have a Commitment to Excellence. They can post with authority on blades, razors, soaps, brushes, etc.

Excalibur Club knights are confidently independent as we must be to overlook the unbelievers.

Last edited:
I read the rules on post 1 and perused the rest of the thread and have a couple questions/comments about the rules.

It sounds like you start off in desert island mode and if I run out of a supply class I can auto transition to the buy as needed mode? So does that mean I need to purchase the a single astra SP blade at a time or a pack of 5, or just grab a 100 pack or whatever makes sense? I understand buying the 1000 pack of Dorco blades would be a bit excessive (besides I already have one of those :)

If my last of a hardware item breaks it says that I may buy a new one. I assume I can repair it as well? So if the knot falls out of my brush I can get some glue and put it back in or if the handle breaks I can go out to the shop and turn a new handle? Now what happens if this is not the last item... say I break the scales on one of my straights - sure I could use one of my other razors but is this razor sidelined until the end of the decade or can it be be repaired to get it back in the game?

Ten years is a long time. I didn't notice anything about checking in to confirm we are still around. For me I think drifting off because I have a new hobby/obsession is more likely than me actually buying something.

I am unable to provide pictures as I moved into a new house at the end of 2019 and the boss has told me that I will not take over the bathroom like I have previously done. So my drawer in the bathroom consists of:

• Aftershave - mostly used bottle of RR baby blue that I have been mostly 3017'ing since Oct 2017
  • A pack of Dorco ST301 blades with 8 remaining
  • An ATT slant open comb razor
  • Simpson 55 brush
  • A dish with about 257grams of Vitos Super Coco in it. And in the back of the drawer is the the remaining part of the brick. I have been 3017 this soap since Feb 21, 2019.
  • I also have a cover for the head of the razor, a scale that reads 1/10 of a gram and a couple of wash cloths.

I also have 4 boxes full of stuff...
  • 58 unopened soaps - 6600 grams worth..
  • unknown number of aftershaves including several 400ml bottles (probably a few gallons worth)
  • twenty or so brushes
  • several razors - some vintage, some modern, and a few straights
  • Approximately 2367 DE blades (including the 8 in the drawer) Over the last 65 blades I have averaged 25 shaves per blade and the average is growing so I think I have a couple centuries worth of blades. When I first started shaving I bought random packs of blades based on folks saying they liked them.. then I bought one pack of everything that was available on tryablade and had the mother of all sampler packs. I have 105 different kinds/variants.
  • I have a handful of samples that just showed up when I purchased something, and few odds and ends like preshave (that I don't use anymore), an alum block, and probably some stuff I am forgetting about.

For now the plan is to pull stuff from the box and have one item in the bathroom. I think a new bottle of aftershave will probably come next then in 8-12 months I will grab another pack of blades.

I am in the 2020 restraint but honestly I really don't need to resupply anything.

Ruckin.

I read the rules on post 1 and perused the rest of the thread and have a couple questions/comments about the rules.

It sounds like you start off in desert island mode and if I run out of a supply class I can auto transition to the buy as needed mode? So does that mean I need to purchase the a single astra SP blade at a time or a pack of 5, or just grab a 100 pack or whatever makes sense? I understand buying the 1000 pack of Dorco blades would be a bit excessive (besides I already have one of those :)

If my last of a hardware item breaks it says that I may buy a new one. I assume I can repair it as well? So if the knot falls out of my brush I can get some glue and put it back in or if the handle breaks I can go out to the shop and turn a new handle? Now what happens if this is not the last item... say I break the scales on one of my straights - sure I could use one of my other razors but is this razor sidelined until the end of the decade or can it be be repaired to get it back in the game?

Ten years is a long time. I didn't notice anything about checking in to confirm we are still around. For me I think drifting off because I have a new hobby/obsession is more likely than me actually buying something.

I am unable to provide pictures as I moved into a new house at the end of 2019 and the boss has told me that I will not take over the bathroom like I have previously done. So my drawer in the bathroom consists of:

• Aftershave - mostly used bottle of RR baby blue that I have been mostly 3017'ing since Oct 2017
  • A pack of Dorco ST301 blades with 8 remaining
  • An ATT slant open comb razor
  • Simpson 55 brush
  • A dish with about 257grams of Vitos Super Coco in it. And in the back of the drawer is the the remaining part of the brick. I have been 3017 this soap since Feb 21, 2019.
  • I also have a cover for the head of the razor, a scale that reads 1/10 of a gram and a couple of wash cloths.

I also have 4 boxes full of stuff...
  • 58 unopened soaps - 6600 grams worth..
  • unknown number of aftershaves including several 400ml bottles (probably a few gallons worth)
  • twenty or so brushes
  • several razors - some vintage, some modern, and a few straights
  • Approximately 2367 DE blades (including the 8 in the drawer) Over the last 65 blades I have averaged 25 shaves per blade and the average is growing so I think I have a couple centuries worth of blades. When I first started shaving I bought random packs of blades based on folks saying they liked them.. then I bought one pack of everything that was available on tryablade and had the mother of all sampler packs. I have 105 different kinds/variants.
  • I have a handful of samples that just showed up when I purchased something, and few odds and ends like preshave (that I don't use anymore), an alum block, and probably some stuff I am forgetting about.

For now the plan is to pull stuff from the box and have one item in the bathroom. I think a new bottle of aftershave will probably come next then in 8-12 months I will grab another pack of blades.

I am in the 2020 restraint but honestly I really don't need to resupply anything.

Ruckin.

Repairs are fine. You can buy 100 blades. I think you got everything else right. If there is any discussion along the way, your decision is final. Even if you do break one, you can admit it and stay in. Or not admit it and stay in.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I use 1 straight
A Wee Scott
1 soap at a time
I have 34(+/-) pucks of Tabac
A few MWF pucks
Some jars of MdC
Some other misc soaps

I am G2G

I guess I should toss my name in the hat too. I probably have enough stuff to go ten years or more...

Ruckin.

May as well do the leap year and 10-year. Can you add your name to the lists when you get a chance?
Thanks

May as well do the leap year and 10-year. Can you add your name to the lists when you get a chance?
Thanks

Hopefully post #54 is the current list...

Leap Year Restraint
1. @GaryTha
2. @Chandu
3. @Pepin
4. @byDoms
5. @Ruva
6. @jamesearthdrum
7. @Macduff
8. @RTM
9. @martym
10. @deafficianado
11. @Sotiris_A
12. @Brian C.
13. @JeffJ
14. @StAnger667
15. @Thomas Darkblade
16. @RVshave
17. @JAHE
18. @tsimmns
19. @AZBronco
20. @ruckin

2020s Restraint
1. @GaryTha
2. @byDoms
3. @martym
4. @Ruva
5. @Chandu
6. @deafficianado
7. @RTM
8. @Sotiris_A
9. @Brian C.
10. @JeffJ
11. @Macduff
12. @Thomas Darkblade
13. @RVshave
14. @JAHE
15. @tsimmns
16. @ruckin

I guess I'm in. There are a few places I expect to be challenged and one might even make me go out. I would be able to make the 4 year with my current gear.

I am going to give it a shot, see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I fail and learn something about myself. Best case scenario, I succeed and learn something about myself. Even worst case scenario, I succeed and learn nothing.

Leap Year Restraint
1. @GaryTha
2. @Chandu
3. @Pepin
4. @byDoms
5. @Ruva
6. @jamesearthdrum
7. @Macduff
8. @RTM
9. @martym
10. @deafficianado
11. @Sotiris_A