What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

So i’ve got a bit of a dilemma gents. I started a thread a couple months back about identifying the Lord blades i purchased in my mega sampler:

Unfortunately the thread didn’t yield much. Basically my issue is that when it comes time to review the Lord blades i have, many of them appear indistinguishable. So i reached out to razorbladesclub to hopefully figure out which is which. Here’s the email:

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently purchased an order from you (order # 26099) and needed some help identifying the Lord blades i purchased. Because they’re not labeled and many share the same packaging, i was wondering if you perhaps have pictures of the blades so i can tell them apart? I purchased the Lord Cool, Lord Extra, Lord Platinum Premium, Lord Superior Platinum and Lord Tajam. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

-Joe Davey

I just received this response:

Hi Joe,

Lord Cool has a red paper while Lord extra has a blue paper so it should be easy to identify them.

Lord Platinum Premium, Lord Superior Platinum and Lord Tajam are identical and as far as I know is not possible to distinguish them. If you want I can send you a packet of 5 blades for free for each one of these blades with your next order if you are planning to place a new one.

Have a nice day

Kindest regards,

The Razor Blades Club team

A generous offer for sure but it requires i purchase something from them to get the tucks and therefore distinguish between the blades. Because i’m in this sabbatical 100% i figured i’d ask you guys what you think is acceptable. Would it be breaking the sabbatical to purchase a tuck of blades i already have in order to have them send me the Lords so i can tell them apart? Or would that be against the spirit of the rules? Let me know what you all think!

I think it would be acceptable to buy the blades. Consider PIF'ing the other blades to someone. Or you could send them to @Toothpick for the blade exchange. Whatever you think is fair is fine.

I like that idea! Since i have to buy a tuck to get the Lord’s, I’ll throw up a PIF to have the winner select the tuck i buy then PIF it to them.

I like that idea! Since i have to buy a tuck to get the Lord’s, I’ll throw up a PIF to have the winner select the tuck i buy then PIF it to them.

Just remember, we can't accept PIF's. You could offer them in the annual sabbatical.

Just remember, we can't accept PIF's. You could offer them in the annual sabbatical.

Yeah i’m going to do the PIF as an open one to all the forum members. It’s very odd to me that Lord would have 4 blade brands that all have identical blade packaging and printing. Almost equally as odd that razorbladesclub wouldn’t label them when they send them individually. Though their offer to give me the tucks so i can distinguish them essentially for free is quite generous.

Late update:
Right at the begining of the year I bought a Razorock 400 noir brush wit aluminum handle. After testing I realized I really like long aluminium handles. It is a very nice brush but somehow it left me wanting a knot for a bit more backbone for hard soaps. I have enough brushes, I think I can't wear down al of them, but on 13 January I bought another one, a Yaqi tuxedo with long aluminium handle. I want to be minimalist but just coudn't see myself waiting dozen of years until all the other brushes are worn.
After buying I wanted to update my inventory here but then something came up and I just forgot until now. Hope it is ok.

I'm still trying to finish the blue tub of Wilkinson Sword. I figured I'll use first the gear I don't like too much, so I paired it with a Wilkinson boar brush. Terrible combination, difficult to lather and then the lather will be too thin, airy, too dry and then suddenly with another drop ff water it will melt. Also it dissapeared from the brush between passes. I absolutely hated it and some days I used other soaps. Finally I gave up on the brush and used a synthetic one with the same soap, now the lather is decent but nothing special. I don't have reasons to think about buying again this soap.
Wasn't too happy with the Chroma Diamant blade that I choose at the begining of the year. It wasn't too smooth and not too sharp. Maybe because the lather was poor. After 12-15 shaves it became a lot better, smoother and seems more efficient. I think it will last at least until the soap is gone in 2 or 3 weeks. It is a decent blade that I can use but I can't see any reason to buy again instead of the green Astra or the yellow Gillette.

The PIF for the blades went well. I also decided to PIF my trusty Van Der Hagen to a new DE shaver so that’s going when the blades arrive as well.

Here's my STUFF! The first pic is under the sink, 600 DE blades, assorted packs of blades . The second pic is my drawer, another 200 feather blades, assorted razors and under the DEs are 16 Straights, 8 of which are ready to go. The last is my main den. One incoming order so I dont run out of my tobacco flower soap. This isn't counting a box in the shed of summer soaps.

View attachment 1047890View attachment 1047891View attachment 1047892

For a moment I thought you were going into this with 1 1/2 arko stick and half a proraso cream.

Good luck to all!

Hi,

I just counted my blades and have 62. I use two a month, so that's easy math. 31 months. So, during Restock following the end of 2021 I will have to buy some. I say it that way because I will be In for the year-long as usual and so always have to buy whatever I need during the yearly restock period.

Soap I have plenty of. There are two full Old Spice mugs of my vintage Oster tallow and modern Carden Farms glycerine. That's in addition to the third OS mug with that mix I am currently using. After that, I have 11 more pucks of Oster. If anyone cares, the story of the Oster soap is here:

After the Oster, I have two almost full mugs of actual Old Spice soap left over from my Dad. I use it once in a while just for Grins and Giggles.

Brushes and razors I have plenty of, so no worries there. Many of those are Heirloom which I have documented here:

And, then there is the Open Comb Seven Day Set, used in OCtober:

Add to that pic the eighth member of the set of seven, my new ATT S2:

I have my doubts that the new ATT is likely to break and force me to use one of the other razors. I guess if I am to stick with seven OCs during OCtober I'll just skip the Schick Repeater, which is my ground travel razor.

Stan

Stan, nice set of open combs.

Although I knew they made the repeater in an open comb model, I don't think I've ever seen one before. I have one of the regular safety bar models. It's a nice little shaver.

Hi,

It is pretty cool, the Type C1. Not that the repeater functions with modern blades. Too thin. But, the head folds and caps so no danger of a cut fumbling around in the Dopp kit. :)

Stan

Rolling along. Finished a puck of Pre de Provence and started a Speick stick. Same razor and brush: RR plissoft and RR baby smooth (tech clone).

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So I am going 3017 one soap at a time now. I'm starting slow. Meaning I have a few samples I'm going to work through first and then I'll go onto the bigger containers.

Started Feb 1 with the Ghost Town Barber

Finally, I had time to take the inventory - and to snap some pics.
Here we go:
one EJ Bulbous Chrome edition razor + silvertip set for home use - .
one EJ long handle razor + travel badger brush for trips + wash bag.
Blades: 40- Personna, 50 Bolzano, 10 of each Chroma, Mühle, and TImor, 5 Mercur
Soap: currently using Núavia Rosso (about half left - 100+ gr), unopened Panama Boellis - 250 gram brick, MdC Rose - lathered twice, means brand new.
Post: brand new Captain Fawcett alum - 90 gram, and whatever left of EJ alum - I should probably let it go tomorrow.
Mühle porcelain blade bank is hiding behind the razor stand - it's reusable.
Not pictured - EJ bowls, one black with a handle, one white.

This is how I am going to spend the next couple of years. I will probably get some more blades in a year, as my rule is three shaves on one blade, and alum.
Soap should hold me for no less than three years, probably more.
IMG_0605.JPG

I realize now there is not a single US, or Canadian made product. That's what you get for charging highway robbery prices for shipping outside the US - I am looking at you UPS. Would love to get my hands on some fine North American artisans but I pay more for 8 oz of, say, Tallow and Steel than 8 oz MdC or Núavia, because of shipping. And European soaps last considerably longer. I am still looking at you, UPS and Canada post.

Well guys apparently I’m out and didn’t even realize it until now after reading the rules. I traded away my General V2 for a Feather SS. Didn’t know trades weren’t allowed until reading the whole post earlier today. 😕
I will continue to play at home on my own and maybe even update here as I hated that razor and didn’t have a straight/Shavette to use and wanted to try one.

Well guys apparently I’m out and didn’t even realize it until now after reading the rules. I traded away my General V2 for a Feather SS. Didn’t know trades weren’t allowed until reading the whole post earlier today. 😕
I will continue to play at home on my own and maybe even update here as I hated that razor and didn’t have a straight/Shavette to use and wanted to try one.

Read the rules again. The trade was against the rules, but you can stay in even though you broke the rules.

If you don't feel good about that, recall the leap year restraint doesn't start until Feb 29.

Hi,

One thing that helps with these restraints is to Play along with some of the special things here on B+B. Like the OCtober I mentioned a few posts back. This is where we use only an Open Comb style razor in October.

Right now, I am in the One Blade February. This is where we use one blade and see how far it will go before we bin the thing. I have done this for several years running. Different razors, same blade. Same razor, different blades.

One year, I used a Fasan DoubleSlant and a Personna 74 blade and ran it all 28 days, plus two more in March for 30 days. I then wrapped it back up and yanked it out the next year for 15 more days. 45 total days.

This year, I am using my standard Personna Med Prep in my new ATT S2 for an ATT v Fasan comparison. They go +/- 23 days in the Fasan.

Next up will be the Fixed Four For March Madness. This is where we use one model razor, one brand of blade, one brand of soap and one chosen brush for the month of March.

Stan

Top Bottom