What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

It's difficult to provide photos of everything I have, since they are in different locations. Here are my lists.

Soaps, razors and brushes:

Annotation 2019-12-27 012923.png

I am currently using my frankensoap, but it is almost gone.

Based on my current consumption (~1gr of soap, ~1.8gr of croap or cream per shave) I have 9 years worth of soaps/creams.

Not all of the hardware is getting used. My main razors are the Merkur 34c, the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition and the Gillette New SC. Brushes are my biggest rabbit hole. Depending on the period I am using a boar (Semogue 1470, 610, 620 and Omega 011842) or a badger (the Simpsons, the TF 24mm and the Semogue LE 2019) brush rotation. The synthetic ones being used only during traveling. As it is obvious, I need to start selling or giving things in PIF.

I have too many blades (>1900). To make things worse, lately I am reaching 7-15 uses per blade and the number is gradually increasing. Here is the corresponding list:

Annotation 2019-12-27 012923_2.png
Annotation 2019-12-27 013730.png

Sorry for the long post.

I'm in, for both challenges. I like the approapch for the leap year sabbatical, I'm trying to became a minimalist since 2017.
Good luck to everybody.

Sorry, I forgot to post my inventory.
I have a bunch of stuff. Some are in the bathroom, some are in a box in the basement. Now, being te holidays time I preffer to spend the time with te family and relaxing, but I'll try to make an inventory.

Happy challenge and happy hollidays everyone!

Last edited:
Since I am in in both leap year and decade restraints, I tried to make an inventory...

In addition to the 15 opened soaps and creams I am using in my weekly setups, I have a box of unopened stuff which contains regarding software and blades:

1577461568481.png

I will first finish up what I already have open before opening new stuff, but except for the blades which I will add as exception to one of the yearly sabbaticals to come, I should have more than enough for the decade.

Attachments

• 1577461453169.png
    1577461453169.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 12
I bought a new brush as my last purchase before the restraint. Will be posting a picture of all my supplies soon.

I'm in for both, God knows I need a challenge to stop my shaving spending, will post pics in the next week. Suffice to say I have a bunch of stuff!

Gentlemen,

Please count me in for the leap year restraint and the 2020s restraint.

I am not sure however if I will make it through the whole decade since I love to have a variety of stuff at hand to chose from every morning. So the desert island approach might not my preferred one finally. But maybe my attitude will change in course of time.

However, I simply have to stop to broaden the variety... I honestly have to.
So I am in!

Kind greetings from Germany!

Gentlemen,

I am not sure however if I will make it through the whole decade since I love to have a variety of stuff at hand to chose from every morning. So the desert island approach might not my preferred one finally. But maybe my attitude will change in course of time.

So I am in!

Welcome and good luck!

Gentlemen,

So I am in!

The desert island approach is for the beginning of the sabbatical. No buying, basically a run what you brung kind of scenario. It is meant to transition to the second scenario of only buying when you’re out. This will be the hardest for most, myself included, as we like to have a rotation. But, for me, this is what gets me in trouble and SSAD is very real for me. This was my main reason for doing the yearly ones but I already had so much so I decided to go this route.

My initial plan is to get down to one or two soaps and that’s it. For someone like you, you could buy a puck or tub of soap A, finish it and then buy a tub or puck of soap B. I even believe, and @GaryTha can correct me if I’m wrong, the Razorock soaps that come in a pack of 4 would qualify as they are sold on Italian barber as a package for one price.

For me, this is primarily to thin the herd and get me out of the ton of soap mentality. I agree with a comment made early in the discussions about this and that was “if you have a soap on the counter to use, there’s no reason to have another one, much less 10 or more”. (Loosely paraphrased ). Use what you have before you buy more and then just buy what you need.

I would venture to guess that many of us do not adhere to this kind of quantity buying or “hoarding” mentality in many, if any, other aspect of our lives.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I would venture to guess that many of us do not adhere to this kind of quantity buying or “hoarding” mentality in many, if any, other aspect of our lives.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Nice description.

I'm a bit of a survivalist in the sense that I keep a goodly supply of non-perishable food at home. We also have bug-out bags near the door with three days of food and other hiking essentials in case we need to walk to a shelter within a 60-mile radius.

I'm working on paying essential bills ahead for 12 months.

Why am I a bit nervous? It's similar to the hours before leaving with my son to go backpacking. We call it "pre-hike depression." If either one of us suggested staying home, the other would quickly agree. I think one of the causes is the fear of forgetting something. Once we are on the trail, it doesn't matter anymore. We can work around anything except forgetting the coffee.

I've been in Sabbatical since 12/1/18. I know I have everything for the journey ahead, but will it be the right stuff? Once I start at 00:01 Jan 1, 2020, it won't matter. I'll quickly place my order on Amazon and "hit the trail." Then it's just a matter of showing up to shave 3,650 days in a row.

Oh... did I mention I'm going to try to shave every day? That streak will likely be broken. If it is, I'll start the streak over.

Why am I a bit nervous? It's similar to the hours before leaving with my son to go backpacking. We call it "pre-hike depression." If either one of us suggested staying home, the other would quickly agree. I think one of the causes is the fear of forgetting something. Once we are on the trail, it doesn't matter anymore. We can work around anything except forgetting the coffee.

I've been in Sabbatical since 12/1/18. I know I have everything for the journey ahead, but will it be the right stuff? Once I start at 00:01 Jan 1, 2020, it won't matter. I'll quickly place my order on Amazon and "hit the trail." Then it's just a matter of showing up to shave 3,650 days in a row.

Oh... did I mention I'm going to try to shave every day? That streak will likely be broken. If it is, I'll start the streak over.

I like the backpacking analogy!

The last few days I was contemplating of buying a tub of Cella. It is a very well respected classic that I would like to try and the 1000ml version is relatively cheap here in Greece. I decided that this could be my "treat" once my stash is gone. Paraphrasing what you wrote @GaryTha, it is the fear of missing out.

Here's my STUFF! The first pic is under the sink, 600 DE blades, assorted packs of blades . The second pic is my drawer, another 200 feather blades, assorted razors and under the DEs are 16 Straights, 8 of which are ready to go. The last is my main den. One incoming order so I dont run out of my tobacco flower soap. This isn't counting a box in the shed of summer soaps.

20191230_083459.jpg20191230_083522.jpg20191230_082550.jpg

Here's my STUFF! The first pic is under the sink, 600 DE blades, assorted packs of blades . The second pic is my drawer, another 200 feather blades, assorted razors and under the DEs are 16 Straights, 8 of which are ready to go. The last is my main den. One incoming order so I dont run out of my tobacco flower soap. This isn't counting a box in the shed of summer soaps.

View attachment 1047890View attachment 1047891View attachment 1047892

Your den is impressive. It looked even better when I clicked on the picture and blew it up.

So being in this means to be able to buy another soap you must finish everything off you have? Reason I ask is I have a couple sticks of the Irish Moos left that I plan on maybe one day using or more than likely gifting to kids along with some AOS tallow Lemon. So just wanted some clarification before I attempt this.

So being in this means to be able to buy another soap you must finish everything off you have? Reason I ask is I have a couple sticks of the Irish Moos left that I plan on maybe one day using or more than likely gifting to kids along with some AOS tallow Lemon. So just wanted some clarification before I attempt this.

Just segregate them in a way that you think is fair. No need to get approval after you decide.

Top Bottom