What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

The bottom of a tin of WSP barbershop is showing as of this morning—let the donut grow.

Of course, since I bought three soaps after I went out, I’ll still end the year with one more soap than I started with.

upload_2019-9-25_9-49-59.png

#91 Still in

Questions though . . .
When I started this year's sabbatical I chose a B&M Hallows - Soap and Aftershave set as my exception.
I now learned that B&M is not going to continue the Hallows scent this year.
Does that leave me with no exception?
Do I have to continue to watch the BST forums in hopes that someone will put some up for sale?
Do I get the option of changing my exception?
If I get to change it, I'd like to chnge it to PDP 63. It's touted as being a very good fall seasonal scent and I'd rather like to try it if I cannot get the Hallows.

Sorry for the late follow up on the story. Glad no one else has gone out.
Aug. 30th Operative No. 99 Rico Suave: (OUT - Blackland Vector razor)
A piercing long whistle sounded in the distance through the clear air. The station master pulled out his watch, shielding his eyes from the noon day sun he peered at the time; 12 o’clock high noon, and right on time as always. He replaced his watch and observed the long gleaming streamliner pulled into the station platform, a long plume of smoke from it stack. After the train had stopped, a flurry of activity ensued as porter with portable steps lined up at the exits, and recaps with trolleys and dollies lined up ready to assist the passengers.

A Red-Cap loaded several suitcases on to a dolly and waited for further instructions. Alexander (Slim) Gillette adjusted his hat to shield his eyes, and stepped on to the platform, pausing to give directions to the Red-Cap. Scanning the crowd he did not spot anyone he knew; Good, best to remain as invisible as possible. The two made their way to the taxi stand, where Slim tipped the Re-Cap and left in a taxi.

Later that afternoon operative Rico Suave sat and listened as Sam was talking on the phone. Sounded like he was trying to drive a hard bargain and get a good price. Finally he nodded and hung up. "Good tip just came in. Cost a bit, but it was good. Sounds like our old friend Slim is back in town. He checked in at the Waldorf." Rico let out a long low whistle, "Wonder if he will be gunning for those that got Leroy?" "Well, that would be me I guess, as BJM was killed also". An eerie silence seemed to overtake the room. Sam pushed himself back in the chair, "Well perhaps the two of us should check out the hotel. See what Slim has to say for himself".

The two drove in silence, and when they approached the hotel Sam drove past as Rico scanned the crowd in front. "I will park in the next block. We can walk in separately." As they walked back towards the hotel, Sam gave a small nod and the two turned down an alley. Sam stopped Rico, "Okay, here's the plan. I will go into the front and ask the operator to connect me with Slim's room. Then I will think of what to say. Afterwards I will grab a paper and wait. You can go in the side entrance and make your way to the lobby. When I see you I will signal the room number to you. I'll take the lift and you can take the stairs." Sam grinned at the last line, "Rank has its privileges." Rico just shook his head, "Alright I'll give you seven minutes before I come in."

Operative Rico strolled the alley by the side entrance, and smoked a couple of cigarettes. Finally checking his watch, he paused; damn! it stopped working. He threw down the smoke and made his way in to the lobby. He slowed down as he approached the main lobby, he glanced around admiring the rich warmth of the woodwork, the plush carpets, and general luxurious surroundings. He saw Sam sitting in a corner with an evening paper in his lap. Sam gave a small nod as he got closer. Rico paused, and took out a small pocket diary, pretending to look up something; and watched as Sam signalled eleven and five. He thought; Figures, room 1105, well better get started on the stairs.

An out of breath operative Rico Suave stopped on the 11th landing, leaned over with his hands on his knees and tried to catch his wind. He wiped the sweat from eyes and stood up, arching his back, and pushed the door open slowly. He stepped cautiously to the carpeted hallway, glancing both ways. He saw Sam by the elevator talking to some dame, lucky dog. He joined him as the woman got on the elevator. The two walked down the hall towards 1105.

In his room Alexander had finished unpacking. One cannot have enough suits, and other haberdashery items. Best to be prepared for as many occasions as possible. He lounged back in a comfortable chair, sipping and a fine brandy, thinking about that odd call he had a short while ago. He would need to check in with some of his contacts, see how thing had progressed, and get Spade alone. A sharp rap on the door startled him. He got up and felt his pocket for his derringer, and the other for a razor. He stepped to the door.

Sam waited, tense, his hand in his pocket on his gun, Operative Rico stood to one side. The door opened a crack, Sam pushed his way in with Rico following. Slim stepped back, "You bastard! I'll get you." Slim backed in to the room, drawing out his gun. Sam followed, pulling out his revolver, "Not so fast Slim, or you may join the other Gillette's" Slim tossed the glass of brandy in Sam's face, causing him to stumble to one side. Slim turned aiming at Sam, as operative Rico charged closer. Rico pulled the trigger, nothing, a jam!. He threw the .45 at Slim, just as Slim fired at Sam. Rico saw Sam spin to the side and grab at his arm. Rico tackled Slim, both fell to the floor scrambling to get the upper hand, tables were knocked over. Slim drove his fist into Rico, driving him to one side. In a flash Slim drew out his razor and flipped it open. A groggy Rico pushed himself away along the floor. Slim advanced, the razor glinting in the light. Rico backed into the wall, he saw the flash of the blade and the glossy black handle as Slim slashed again and again. Operative Rico Suave slumped down, feeling the warm of life leaving his body. Slim quickly folded the razor and put it in his pocket. He rushed to grab a few things and ran out, taking the elevator down to the atrium, and then the stairs to the back. Walking out he spotted a taxi approaching. He waved him over.

The room service worker pushed the trolley of food out of the elevator. He paused by the door, knocked. He thought he heard a faint cry for help, he pushed the door open, and screamed at the sight. A bloody figure slumped against the wall, and a dazed figure holding a bleeding arm.

#91 Still in

Questions though . . .
When I started this year's sabbatical I chose a B&M Hallows - Soap and Aftershave set as my exception.
I now learned that B&M is not going to continue the Hallows scent this year.
Does that leave me with no exception?
Do I have to continue to watch the BST forums in hopes that someone will put some up for sale?
Do I get the option of changing my exception?
If I get to change it, I'd like to chnge it to PDP 63. It's touted as being a very good fall seasonal scent and I'd rather like to try it if I cannot get the Hallows.

Unfortunately it is your exception.

The Sue Charity Auction is close, and as you said a member may have it on the BST.

The 2019 Year of the Maltese Falcon-Razor is now approaching the point of its third quarterly check in.

There are check-ins to be done every three months.

Please post on the sabbatical thread at the B&B site. 2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/2019-shave-purchase-sabbatical-the-maltese-falcon-razor.555671/

Tell us how the sabbatical is going for you. Those that do not check in by October 10th, will be listed as AWOL, and moved to the “out” group as far as the sabbatical tracking goes.

So please come out and join your fellow members by checking in.

Thank you,
Pepin

Number 3 still in and doing well.

I reluctantly signed up for a Wolfman on the new email form waiting list, assuming and hoping my name will be up next year. I wasn’t quick on the trigger to sign up and I assume that I’m far, far down the list. If lightning strikes and I’m up before December 31st, I just may pass and put my name at the bottom once again.

Still out but wish the rest who are still in success.

Although out, this sabbatical has been good for me to slow down purchasing. Except for my Wolfman/Charcoal duo purchase that put me out, I've only bought one more razor this year. All purchases this year have been paid for by selling off gear, so aiming for a net even. Without purchasing a tonne, I've enjoying using what I have.

I'm eyeing up a 2020 sabbatical. Maybe the third time will be a charm.

Vespasian #11 still in, just sliding along. I am already mulling over next year's sabbatical, which I might try, if I get enough missing favorites during the restocking period in January. Right now, it's pleasant enough to know that I'll have my favorites back in my den in a few months.

#48 still in and no temptation at all.

It is now the second year in a row I am in the sabbatical and surprised how little my shave den reduced. The soaps and creams just seem to last forever, much fewer kills than I expected.

#49 here. I’m still out for 2019, but plan on joining for 2020.

Other than the NIB Schick I purchased and (since I’m out anyway) a tub of Stirling hot apple cider for the fall, I have no temptations.

I will pick up some Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer, along with a couple of soaps during the restock period and I should be good for 2020.

Top Bottom