What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Still in it for the long haul. I have been rotating soaps and aftershaves so much that I haven't knocked anything out in a while now. Looking at current supplies the restock will be blades only! :-D

The only restock I will have will be finding a new cheap bulk cart for my head. With the shutdown of the Dorco website, I can’t get the Pace 4 in bulk anymore and nowhere near as cheap. It will probably be the Amazon brand 5 blade as they have the same one at Walmart so I can pick them up locally.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

The only restock I will have will be finding a new cheap bulk cart for my head. With the shutdown of the Dorco website, I can’t get the Pace 4 in bulk anymore and nowhere near as cheap. It will probably be the Amazon brand 5 blade as they have the same one at Walmart so I can pick them up locally.

Wait....what? Dorco shut down?

Wait....what? Dorco shut down?

They shut down their direct website at the end of August. They will only sale on Amazon now but they are more expensive and won’t be available in bulk. I think it’s part of the lawsuit by P&G against them and DSC.

I’m in the sabbatical so I couldn’t stock up when they had their big close out sale in July and August.

1569844065359.png

#23 GaryTha still in.

I'm considering buying one soap during the resupply. I've narrowed my choices to: Tabac, PdP 63, and Mitchell's Wool Fat.

They shut down their direct website at the end of August. They will only sale on Amazon now but they are more expensive and won’t be available in bulk. I think it’s part of the lawsuit by P&G against them and DSC.

I’m in the sabbatical so I couldn’t stock up when they had their big close out sale in July and August.

Wait—I haven’t been following any lawsuits. Why did P&G sue? Someone was offering cheaper carts so they were having to give up a little profit? Or is it because Dorco/DSC proved the market for people who want 7 blades is even smaller than people who use DEs, thus damaging P&Gs next product launch?

Wait—I haven’t been following any lawsuits. Why did P&G sue? Someone was offering cheaper carts so they were having to give up a little profit? Or is it because Dorco/DSC proved the market for people who want 7 blades is even smaller than people who use DEs, thus damaging P&Gs next product launch?
I just googled it. Gillette has a patent on PTFE coated blades because apparently that was revolutionary and patentable when the Mach 3 and Venus came out. Oh brother. One more example of the USPTO and how thoroughly they review patent applications from big companies. 🙄

Thank you to those who have checked in so far, 26 of the operatives.

If you have not, please check in and let us know how things are going for you in the sabbatical.

Thank you to those who have checked in so far, 26 of the operatives.

If you have not, please check in and let us know how things are going for you in the sabbatical.

I think I checked in a little early. Hope I’m in the count.

I just googled it. Gillette has a patent on PTFE coated blades because apparently that was revolutionary and patentable when the Mach 3 and Venus came out. Oh brother. One more example of the USPTO and how thoroughly they review patent applications from big companies. [emoji849]

Most definitely. To me, it’s just the big boys throwing their weight around because DSC has a rather large following and Dorco got caught in it because they provided the hardware to them.

The company I work for has been sued by P&G twice in the last 10 years or so. They said our bottles and labeling for the store branded shampoos and lotions “looked too much like theirs and could cause customers to possibly by an inferior/wrong product thinking it was theirs”. We had to change our labels and bottles AFTER getting our customers to agree to the change. Most of our label and bottle designs are from the customers requests.

Just another instance of corporate bullying against a multi-million dollar company by a multi-billion dollar company. He who has the most money, wins.

#62 - still in at the 3/4 mark although temptation is nigh...(I did use my exception as I finished two balms this quarter and SWMBO demands at least one balm on hand that is not offensive to her :))

I'm getting a bad case of Soap Acquisition Disorder (SAD). I'm considering buying 12 soaps during resupply. One for each month of the year. They are all inexpensive mainstream popular soaps, so the cost will be about $160. I picked them out in Feb when I thought I was going to run out of soap this year. I almost overreacted.

I'll also buy 100 blades. With this stash, I should be able to do a leap-year Sabbatical with no exceptions (Feb 29,2020-Feb 29, 2024).

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
#59 still in. A few temptations but I found that if I ask SWMBO if I can buy something shaving related her response usually makes the temptation go away.

#91 Still in

Questions though . . .
When I started this year's sabbatical I chose a B&M Hallows - Soap and Aftershave set as my exception.
I now learned that B&M is not going to continue the Hallows scent this year.
Does that leave me with no exception?
Do I have to continue to watch the BST forums in hopes that someone will put some up for sale?
Do I get the option of changing my exception?
If I get to change it, I'd like to chnge it to PDP 63. It's touted as being a very good fall seasonal scent and I'd rather like to try it if I cannot get the Hallows.

I have a tub of little-used Hallows soap somewhere in my den. If you're willing to be patient (as I'm off to Spain for a couple of weeks), I'll look for it. If I can find it without too much trouble, I'll PM you and send it on. I like it very much, but the fact that I don't know where it lives tells me I don't like it that much. Hang tough!

P.S. I'm a veteran of countless sabbatical failures. I now gain my satisfaction from helping others succeed.

#91 Still in

Questions though . . .
When I started this year's sabbatical I chose a B&M Hallows - Soap and Aftershave set as my exception.
I now learned that B&M is not going to continue the Hallows scent this year.
Does that leave me with no exception?
Do I have to continue to watch the BST forums in hopes that someone will put some up for sale?
Do I get the option of changing my exception?
If I get to change it, I'd like to chnge it to PDP 63. It's touted as being a very good fall seasonal scent and I'd rather like to try it if I cannot get the Hallows.

And just like that I have my exception.
Either someone was reading my mind (or possibly this thread) and posted it in the BST.

I have a tub of little-used Hallows soap somewhere in my den. If you're willing to be patient (as I'm off to Spain for a couple of weeks), I'll look for it. If I can find it without too much trouble, I'll PM you and send it on. I like it very much, but the fact that I don't know where it lives tells me I don't like it that much. Hang tough!

P.S. I'm a veteran of countless sabbatical failures. I now gain my satisfaction from helping others succeed.

You must have missed my reply.
I just picked up my exception within 24 hours of my original post
Thank you though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom