What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

View attachment 928506 View attachment 928507
My latest acquisition a Goodfella open comb. First use this morning , reminds me of a single ring both in terms of the head and the shave. Head is a little flatter than the single ring.

Whats a single ring?

I've had a Goodfella for around six months now but have just been getting into it the last few days. I'm getting really fantastic shaves from it. It's a brilliant razor for me.

Attachments

• AB578E80-23B1-4D50-A3E5-8ACF20CB46F5.jpeg
    AB578E80-23B1-4D50-A3E5-8ACF20CB46F5.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 41
I was curious if I could revive an abused razor. Headed to an auction and won this baby for real cheap, I mean really cheap. It was a dog, a dead dog. Almost black and looked like it had lived at the bottom of the ocean. So I soaked it, scrubbed it, polished it (Flitz) and scrubbed it again (about an hours worth of labor). I am not a razor historian by any measure but it looks like a Gillette Somerset.

Did the experiment succeed or fail?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20190628_163214.jpg
    20190628_163214.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I was curious if I could revive an abused razor. Headed to an auction and won this baby for real cheap, I mean really cheap. It was a dog, a dead dog. Almost black and looked like it had lived at the bottom of the ocean. So I soaked it, scrubbed it, polished it (Flitz) and scrubbed it again (about an hours worth of labor). I am not a razor historian by any measure but it looks like a Gillette Somerset.

Looks pretty good! It's a NEW SC with a common bar handle. Somerset is the name of a presentation (Case, razor, and blade holder) and I believe a Somerset is a shorter handle, like a Tuckaway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Success! That looks awesome!

Looks terrific!!
Last year, I picked up a '46/'47 Aristocrat in horrible shape. I worked on it for almost a week and ended up using Brasso and a brass bristle brush to get rid of the verdigris under the guards. I lost a bit more of what was already left of the gold plating, but it shaves just like it should. It's in my weekly DE rotation now, and always leaves me with a bear BBS shave.

Great work, Mike - next time I’ll send some your way to fix up!

KeenDogg

I'm back! I found a prewar tech with a big fellow case for less than 20 bucks! I have a few techs, but no I guess someone wants me to have a big fellow! I'm not sure which iteration I should get: the old type or the NI . Which do you prefer?
proxy.php

I'm back! I found a prewar tech with a big fellow case for less than 20 bucks! I have a few techs, but no I guess someone wants me to have a big fellow! I'm not sure which iteration I should get: the old type or the NI . Which do you prefer?
proxy.php

Score, Adam! Those wooden cases are awesome, some of the most beautiful cases Gillette ever made. And this one looks to be in perfect shape.

The price was perfect too, I cannot image why anyone would sell it this cheap. I bought an old beat up one a year ago which I had to restore. And I paid close to 40 USD for that one. You did gooooood, sir :thumbup1:

No advice from me on the Big Fellow - I’ve never tried one!

proxy.php

Very cool & beautiful!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
proxy.php

Great score Adam, love the case. Congratulations.

KeenDogg

Score, Adam! Those wooden cases are awesome, some of the most beautiful cases Gillette ever made. And this one looks to be in perfect shape.

The price was perfect too, I cannot image why anyone would sell it this cheap. I bought an old beat up one a year ago which I had to restore. And I paid close to 40 USD for that one. You did gooooood, sir :thumbup1:

No advice from me on the Big Fellow - I’ve never tried one!
Thanks, Peter. I'd say I did well then! This was from a local lady. I think she knew what the razor was and priced it on that knowledge.
Very cool & beautiful!
Thank you, kind sir.
Great score Adam, love the case. Congratulations.
Thanks, man.

proxy.php

I'm suprised that no one brought up the fact that we should all be vigilant against these kinds of mis-matched sets poisoning the well of properly matched sets, and that it should be properly disposed of, which I'd be happy to take care of for you, to save you all the trouble...

Beautiful case - CONGRATULATIONS!

KeenDogg

I'm suprised that no one brought up the fact that we should all be vigilant against these kinds of mis-matched sets poisoning the well of properly matched sets, and that it should be properly disposed of, which I'd be happy to take care of for you, to save you all the trouble...

Beautiful case - CONGRATULATIONS!
Good point! If you have a mismatched double ring or 4th gen Aristocrat, I'll gladly trade ya![emoji1787]

Managed to pick up a gold british rocket for $15 CAD. Gold is worn on the doors but otherwise pretty good
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom