What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
That one probably isn't worth falling out for. If someone were to sell you a Wolfman WR2 at a crazy stupid price then I'd say go for it but not so much in this case. I suspect just another average razor.
See that is what i thought at first. Saw a review of a prototype and the guy owns some premium, hard to get razors, and he said the stirling was better or equal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

See that is what i thought at first. Saw a review of a prototype and the guy owns some premium, hard to get razors, and he said the stirling was better or equal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We've all heard that before only to ultimately be disappointed. Some of these reviews are in exchange for free product as well so keep that in mind as it does happen. If it's one of the YouTube guys it's almost always a paid for review. I don't trust any of them. Here's what I do to separate the hype from reality. What I do now is to wait a couple months to see if the initial positive reviews are just due to it being the newest flavor of the month. Once the initial excitement wears down, if and only if, it's still getting really great reviews after a few months then I'm possibly interested.

Ninety nine percent of the time these products fade back into obscurity and the hype disappears completely.

Exceptions are if someone I know personally and trust is involved in the review. I'll sometimes also take a chance on an item that I know I can resell at a profit in about ten seconds if I don't like it. Think, Wolfman, Varlet, Black Eagle, etc.

The problem is that 99% of the time I take a chance on a product I'm disappointed as what I'm already using is superior.

Last edited:
I’m pleased to report a sizable kill for me. Polished off a tub of WK Fougere Bouquet tonight. Started it March 1st and got 85 shaves from it. Each one was terrific. It was a very good soap. Nevertheless I’m excited to use a much looser rotation the next few months.

Re: soaps
Couple samples, Col Conk Amber, Almond, Bay Rum, Arko, Palmolive stick, a vegan spearmint & oatmeal, lavender shave butter, Proraso Green cream, Razorock Don Marco.
Below the fold, Wilkinson-Sword tub, Proraso Green croap, Omega soap, more samples, a few other things I can't bring to mind.

Some day, when I've run my active soaps to three, I'll get mitts on a tub of Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber. 3017 or so. :p

upload_2019-6-21_2-47-20.png

At the moment, I am rotating through Harris Arlington, SV Felce Aromatica and T&H 1815
How is Felce? I have Opuntia and love it, but I am trying to consume some of my other soaps to bring the stash down before I focus on it. I suspect you can get over half a year's worth of shaves from one SV puck.

20190621_204431.jpg

My goodies since dropping out.

Feather AC ss folding
Blackland Vector,
Blackland Sabre
Charcoal Goods Copper Level 2
Charcoal good antique brass level 3
Game changer v2
Supply razor - all plates,
two customer brushes one with 24mm Shavemac Silvertip 2 band fan and one with the Maggard's SHD in 24 mm fan. The Shavemac knot is the one that put me out :)

How is Felce? I have Opuntia and love it, but I am trying to consume some of my other soaps to bring the stash down before I focus on it. I suspect you can get over half a year's worth of shaves from one SV puck.

I love the felce, great performance and lovely scent! I have no clue how long the puck is lasting, but I guess you are right with over half a year. I would like to try other SV soaps, but I first need use up quite a few soaps before buying new stuff...

View attachment 992808

Feather AC ss folding
Blackland Vector,
Blackland Sabre
Game changer v2
two customer brushes one with 24mm Shavemac Silvertip 2 band fan and one with the Maggard's SHD in 24 mm fan. The Shavemac knot is the one that put me out :)

Looks like you need a few soaps to round out the goodies you’ve acquired. :p

#8 checking in, still in. Finished off some Sudsy Soapery Supercreamed Triple Butter Shaving Soap, Twice Mint, working on some DR Harris Arlington Shaving Soap (this is going to take awhile).

View attachment 992808

Feather AC ss folding
Blackland Vector,
Blackland Sabre
Game changer v2
The brushes are awesome

Top Bottom