What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

For those of you that are still in, what soaps are you guys using?
My current (weekly) rotation is B&M Reserve Lavender, Biotique Palmyra Gel, a sample of APR Fougere Bourbon Rose, and I'm about to start a tub of Wholly Kaw Man from Monaco.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This entire sabbatical has been MdC only. I started the jar on December 1, 2018.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
While I fell out for a Chubby 2 synth (no regrets on that purchase) and then bought a bunch of soaps, the year started off with me finishing my P.160 Tipo Morbido block :001_tt1: and then turning to the not-so-wonderful Shaving Yeti's Mamacita on the Rocks :nonod:, which should have about another month left in it. After that, I will turn to my TTFFC Sue Moore Graprefruit to close out the summer.

Checking in and still in. I finished off the Napa and had my first head and face shave with the MWF that I have had around for several years. I'll be 3017ing it, if I didn't ruin it trying to melt it into a bowl. Double boiler wouldn't touch it and it got very bubbly in the Microwave. :001_unsur I'll report back.

I’ve knocked off a tub of Proraso green back in April. It went 3 1/2 months for me. I moved on to a puck of VDH after that and I’m already seeing a halo. I must be over lathering it because I usually get a solid 3 months out of a VDH puck.

While some of you are using some pretty decent products some of you are using some less than stellar stuff.

Jim, you Sir are unkind to yourself with that VdH soap and I'd like to send you an upgrade if you'd be willing to accept it.

For me, you can help me clear out some products that I won't use and for you this can be an unexpected surprise to break up the monotony of the sabbatical.

If you're interested, and you're in the CONUS, you can have your choice of two of the following:

1. A tub of a soap that I made myself in either Sandalwood or a Drakkar cologne scented soap. You pick which one. I have crazy high standards and I feel this soap is as good as or better than anything I've tried and I've tried just about everything. Really exceptional Post shave, outstanding slickness, lathers great and I'm reaching for it just about every day myself. Even over others that I consider to be the very best the world has to offer. Ingredients are things found in other higher end shaving soaps and I've taken a spare no expense position in making it. I'm still working on fragrances so right now it's just the bottled stuff, I'll do better there going forward. I don't sell my soap so you can't buy it. I make it for myself and may occasionally gift a tub here and there but it doesn't happen often as I make very small (four soaps per batch) batches. You'll notice a very positive difference in your skin after just one use. These soaps are still curing as I made them yesterday but you can use them right away. They might get a little better in a couple weeks though. I tried the Drakkar scented one yesterday and it was really, really nice. I'll try the Sandalwood one later today. I suspect the Drakkar one is slightly better as I've been trying some formula changes and it's the most recent. If you choose my homemade soap then know that I'm not responsible for anything that happens and all of that legal stuff. Use at your own risk and discontinue use if irritation occurs, etc.

2. PannaCrema Nostalgia

3. Art of Shaving Sandalwood refill (Valobra made tallow version)

4. Small metal tin of Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint

5. Wet Shaving Products Matterhorn soap - not the best performer but this one smells really nice.

6. RazoRock Tight Buns and RazoRock The Freedburg Soaps (you get both).

These soaps are like new with the exception of The Freedburg which has a small sample removed. None of these soaps have been lathered on. Don't feel obligated to pick the soap I made as I won't take offense if you choose something else instead.

Let me know please.

Checking in and still in. I finished off the Napa and had my first head and face shave with the MWF that I have had around for several years. I'll be 3017ing it, if I didn't ruin it trying to melt it into a bowl. Double boiler wouldn't touch it and it got very bubbly in the Microwave. :001_unsur I'll report back.

If you're trying to melt it to put it into a tub just grate it instead with a normal kitchen grater like you'd do carrots for a salad.

You don't want to melt any soaps like this as best case you'll lose some of the fragrance, worst case you'll destroy the soap.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Hows it holding up after about 7 months?
I’ve just about got it whipped!!!

263BEC61-EF81-4A8A-9DAB-DE1B6309DFBC.jpeg

B&M Cheshire and Behold the Watsis

Stirling: SDM, Executive Man, electric
sheep, Scots pine sheep, margaritas in the arctic, black ice.

Proraso green

Mitchell’s wool fat

Declaration Grooming Darkfall

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
While some of you are using some pretty decent products some of you are using some less than stellar stuff.

Jim, you Sir are unkind to yourself with that VdH soap and I'd like to send you an upgrade if you'd be willing to accept it.

For me, you can help me clear out some products that I won't use and for you this can be an unexpected surprise to break up the monotony of the sabbatical.

If you're interested, and you're in the CONUS, you can have your choice of two of the following:

1. A tub of a soap that I made myself in either Sandalwood or a Drakkar cologne scented soap. You pick which one. I have crazy high standards and I feel this soap is as good as or better than anything I've tried and I've tried just about everything. Really exceptional Post shave, outstanding slickness, lathers great and I'm reaching for it just about every day myself. Even over others that I consider to be the very best the world has to offer. Ingredients are things found in other higher end shaving soaps and I've taken a spare no expense position in making it. I'm still working on fragrances so right now it's just the bottled stuff, I'll do better there going forward. I don't sell my soap so you can't buy it. I make it for myself and may occasionally gift a tub here and there but it doesn't happen often as I make very small (four soaps per batch) batches. You'll notice a very positive difference in your skin after just one use. These soaps are still curing as I made them yesterday but you can use them right away. They might get a little better in a couple weeks though. I tried the Drakkar scented one yesterday and it was really, really nice. I'll try the Sandalwood one later today. I suspect the Drakkar one is slightly better as I've been trying some formula changes and it's the most recent. If you choose my homemade soap then know that I'm not responsible for anything that happens and all of that legal stuff. Use at your own risk and discontinue use if irritation occurs, etc.

2. PannaCrema Nostalgia

3. Art of Shaving Sandalwood refill (Valobra made tallow version)

4. Small metal tin of Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint

5. Wet Shaving Products Matterhorn soap - not the best performer but this one smells really nice.

6. RazoRock Tight Buns and RazoRock The Freedburg Soaps (you get both).

These soaps are like new with the exception of The Freedburg which has a small sample removed. None of these soaps have been lathered on. Don't feel obligated to pick the soap I made as I won't take offense if you choose something else instead.

Let me know please.
You have made your own soap! This is great. I hold your opinion in high regard, and if this soap is better than your top soaps , like grooming department, i will need to buy some from you.

After the sabbatical, of course!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Still in, still don't need anything -- won't even get to test all my blades currently in stock for a decade or so and have soap for the ages.

I've found even my initial shaving soaps were excellent, although I like the last one I did, a tallow soap, the best. Sadly I made a pound of it, so I'll be shaving for a few years before I need to make any more!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just found my first serious temptation. The upcoming Stirling safety razor. It is going to take some serious effort not to buy this the moment it is released.

Just found my first serious temptation. The upcoming Stirling safety razor. It is going to take some serious effort not to buy this the moment it is released.
It’s not going to give you a better shave than your best razor that you have right now. Just use your favorite on the day of release and power through. It’ll be there waiting for you in January.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It’s not going to give you a better shave than your best razor that you have right now. Just use your favorite on the day of release and power through. It’ll be there waiting for you in January.
That is what i keep telling myself.

It sure is purdy though...

Proraso White tub
Proraso Green tub
Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill (the wife says this one makes me smell like "Pledge")
Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
Stirling Frozen Tundra (the wife likens this one to an old lady's handbag - - very musty)
Soap Smooth Brain Freeze
Williams Puck
Arko Stick

That is what i keep telling myself.

It sure is purdy though...

That one probably isn't worth falling out for. If someone were to sell you a Wolfman WR2 at a crazy stupid price then I'd say go for it but not so much in this case. I suspect just another average razor.

Top Bottom