What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

#90 Still in.
Still in. Refining the purchase list. What are you all planning to buy in the restock period?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
What I did this year was restock half of what I used up, and rounded odd numbers down.
For 2018, it was a small reward for completing; for 2020 if I continue it will be to ensure I last an entire year.

upload_2019-6-26_4-15-23.png

Hi,

Still In!

Just doing my usual. A bit more road travelling these past two months, so using my Schick Type C1 repeater often enough that I used only one DE blade for May and ought to get thru June on one DE blade as well. I haven't gotten into the new Injector blades I bought during Restock week yet. So, not much to report.

Stan

@GaryTha you, sir, are a trooper. 2 weeks is about the most I have been able get through with just one soap and that was glycerin soap. Once I got it figured out, it gives me an outstanding shave. I hope to get to the point where I can just use one soap. Whenever my current stock is depleted, I plan to just use glycerin melt and pour soap base to shave with if I can bring myself to do it. That will put me at about $.13-$.15 per shave tops for soap, razor, brush and blades as I have nothing in the razor due to a PIF.

How low do you think you will get per shave?

Hi,

I figured out, many years ago now, that glycerine soap is nicely slick but dries out too quickly. Tallow holds the moisture much longer, but could be slicker. So, I mix the two. Put equal amounts into each half of an Old Spice mug and make both work together. And, since I face lather, I use it in small amounts so it lasts forever.

On the Temptation front, I would like one of those Olympic Special Schick injector razors. The white one with the red and blue stripes. Not for Oylmpic reasons, nor for shaving reasons. That red looks more orange, and I just recently watched the movie Le Mans and it reminds me of the old Gulf sponsor stripes on the white Nomex driving suits. Being a racer myself, I think that would fit nicely on my sink. How's that for an odd temptation? ;)

Stan - Still In and not actually looking for that razor. Yet. :p

@GaryTha you, sir, are a trooper. 2 weeks is about the most I have been able get through with just one soap and that was glycerin soap. Once I got it figured out, it gives me an outstanding shave. I hope to get to the point where I can just use one soap. Whenever my current stock is depleted, I plan to just use glycerin melt and pour soap base to shave with if I can bring myself to do it. That will put me at about $.13-$.15 per shave tops for soap, razor, brush and blades as I have nothing in the razor due to a PIF.

How low do you think you will get per shave?

Thanks for the compliment. I was lucky Williams was one of the first soaps I tried. It's a finely tuned high-performance soap that can give a close DFS in one pass with some touch-up. I don't believe in a BBS because one tiny patch of being able to feel whiskers in any direction ruins it.

Williams works well if the lather is so thin and slick you can hardly see it. That's what I used this morning for the 12th shave on a Gillette Wilkenson Sword. It also works well with a lot of cushion. I use cushion for the early shaves on a blade to avoid nicks. I'm certain Williams has many equals, but there are few superior.

Remember, the cost per shave is the total cost - including items you no longer use or have given away - divided by the number of shaves. I'll be at $0.23 by the end of the year and $0.13 by the end of 2020 if I don't need to buy soap. If I do, it will be a few pennies higher.

My variable cost/shave is now under 2 cents. Half a penny for the blade and about a penny for the soap.

Hi,

I figured out, many years ago now, that glycerine soap is nicely slick but dries out too quickly. Tallow holds the moisture much longer, but could be slicker. So, I mix the two. Put equal amounts into each half of an Old Spice mug and make both work together. And, since I face lather, I use it in small amounts so it lasts forever.

On the Temptation front, I would like one of those Olympic Special Schick injector razors. The white one with the red and blue stripes. Not for Oylmpic reasons, nor for shaving reasons. That red looks more orange, and I just recently watched the movie Le Mans and it reminds me of the old Gulf sponsor stripes on the white Nomex driving suits. Being a racer myself, I think that would fit nicely on my sink. How's that for an odd temptation? ;)

Stan - Still In and not actually looking for that razor. Yet. :p

Hey Stan. What do you race in?

#27 still in.

Enjoying my stuff. Still have something “new” (never used before) to try every month through December.

Been watching some items on the bay and etsy ......... and because of Sabbatical have actually lost interest in a couple I thought I really wanted. By the time restock window arrives I’ll be pretty selective with what I buy (I think). Who knows ...... might not buy anything! We’ll see.

So definitely a beneficial endeavor for me.

I'm still in, thinking I needn't bother searching too hard for my exception. Happy with what I have, mostly using my grandfather's tech and Haslinger Schafmilch.

I restocked nothing at the start of the year, but will buy a modest haul at the end. As follows:

Stuff I have an ongoing need for, and will have less than enough for a year at start of 2020:
Speick AS
Lucky Tiger AS
Ach Brito glycerine soap for prep
Generic witch hazel

Stuff I won't need, but want to try:
Saponificio Varesino soap (maybe Stella Alpina)
Bic blades
A Zenith boar brush, maybe

Still out.
I’ve only made the one purchase that outed me. Deciding if I need to stock up the next 5 months in preparation for trying the 2020 sabbatical, as I’m not sure the many razors or lbs of soap will do me. :p

Great job to those still in!

I'm still in - I won't be around for the next two weeks, but I definitely won't be around any shaving stuff to purchase. I'll be taking my PdP No 63 soap and a razor, but that's about it. Still loving the PdP - love that scent and performance.

I’m still out but haven’t bought anything besides the purchase I went out on. I will likely buy some Clubman because my wife always tells me I smell good when I use it, which isn’t the case with any of my other AS or EDTs currently in stock. Aside from that, I think I’m set to try again in 2020.

#5 still in for the official 2nd quarter check in. I'm not looking for or wanting anything so I'm sure I won't be finding or buying anything.

well, count me out. A friend pointed out a very good looking adjustable (I'm an adjustable fool) that I couldn't pass up. It's supposedly all brass, but we'll see. Made it further this year than in year's past.

Vespasian #11 still in. I like the savings, but I am getting really low on almost all my favorites. But I have enough stuff in my cupboard to last the year, I think.

Top Bottom